You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Error msg everytime i try to install new software

Author (Read 18388 times)

Re: Error msg everytime i try to install new software
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 08:24:33 PM »

southernstyle

Scott,

I, too, have the same problem with the boot screen being Ubuntu, as well as the shut down screen being Ubuntu. Put the commands in as you specified in your post but there are no changes to make, i.e., it reads what it should.

Is there a way to verify install or get a "do-over" when updating?

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 06:40:26 PM »

jwwin

well I apparently "stepped in it again" Cause I entered Yes at the command prompt in regards to updating my system, Couldn't wait for your  reply - guess I've been having such a frustrating time with Linux my patience is about  fried. Oh and tried running the command you gave me - Gold- Finger (basically copied and pasted it) at the command line in the terminal. The only thing it did was ask me for my pass word - which I entered and it took me back to the command prompt - ran no code that I could tell. So I went to the menu search bar and re-entered Heimdall"  - Same results -  no change. Sorry  :-\

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 11:43:04 PM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Hi Jwwin

Let's see if we can fix this issue:
Sounds like you may have answered "Yes" to replace the config files.  If you did, we'll need to fix that or you may run into some other problems down the road.  It's not too difficult and we can do that tomorrow.  Just post back to confirm whether you kept the old config or replaced it with the package maintainers version.

In post #11 you asked about /etc/issue. The correct answer is selected by default [default=N] so hitting enter at the prompt is all that's needed.

There are two files that may have been changed:
/etc/issue
/etc/lsb-release

Fixing these files is easy. We'll list them in the terminal (they're short) compare them to a correct listing and then make any necessary changes.

Open a terminal. Type:
Code: [Select]
cat /etc/issue
The correct output should be:
Linux Lite 2.0 LTS \n \l
If you need to make changes to /etc/issue. Type
gksudo leafpad/etc/issuemake the necessary changes and then save the file

Open a terminal. Type:
cat /etc/lsb-release
The correct output should be:
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=14.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=trusty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Lite 2.0"

If you need to make changes to /etc/lsb-release. Type
gksudo leafpad /etc/lsb-releasemake the necessary changes and then save the file

Test and see if the files are fixed. Type
cat /etc/issueoutput should be:
Linux Lite 2.0 LTS \n \l
Type:
cat /etc/lsb-releaseoutput should be:
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=14.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=trusty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Lite 2.0"

Did it work? Post back when you have a chance.  ~Scott
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 02:51:36 PM by Valtam »

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 11:04:41 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
jwwin,

You posted while I was writing last post, so I didn't see that you resolved issue.  Sounds like you may have answered "Yes" to replace the config files.  If you did, we'll need to fix that or you may run into some other problems down the road.  It's not too difficult and we can do that tomorrow.  Just post back to confirm whether you kept the old config or replaced it with the package maintainers version.

I have absolutely no experience with heimdall, so can't help with that.  (Never even heard of it until your post.)  I would imagine there should be a website for that with instructions on its use.  You'll probably have to do some Internet searches for info on how to use it.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 10:55:52 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

jwwin,

Every once in a while during updates to the system, one or more configuration files might be part of the update.  That screenshot shows the question that pops up when that happens.  It's asking if you want to use the new config file or if you'd prefer to keep the one that is already on your system.  Whenever you are asked that for config files, always answer "NO" -- you don't want the new one; you want to keep the one that is already on your system.  So, just type "n" for "no" and hit <Enter> to continue.  If another one pops up asking the same thing, hit "n" again and <Enter>.

If you already answered it and picked something other than "No", post back and let us know.  We can change the one or two files back to their original state so you don't end up having problems caused by the change.

Once that is all done, your ability to install things should be fixed.  (Even if you picked wrong answer on the config file question, you should be able to install heimdall after running and completing that sudo dpkg --configure -a.  You don't need to wait for us to fix the config files before installing your software.)

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 10:54:40 PM »

jwwin

Wel I resolved the problem with installing packages by installing the Update from the Linux Lite Package distributor (from the command line in the terminal - thank you Gold  Finger) and Im not allowing more than one installastion program open at once (thanks Valtam) All iss well on taht front - the heimdall software installed perfectly. Now when I go to run it I type in the name Heimdall in the search bar at bottom of menu and it comes up showing me "Run Heimdall" in a blue bar with a gear icon next to it. When place my cursor over it - my cursor changes into the look it always gets when its about to launch something - so I click on it fully expecting "heimdall" to launch - but I get nothing. So with that I say good nite . Look at it tommorow.  :P

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 10:27:37 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
jwwin, thank you for your screenshot. It confirms that you have 2 software installation tools open at the same time, Synaptic Package Manager and Package Installer (the smaller window open on your desktop). Only one of these can be open at one time. I recommend you close the Package Installer completely, then use Synaptic Package Manager to install heimdall or heimdall-flash-frontend as it is known.

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 10:25:08 PM »

jwwin

Hey Goldfinger - you must have replied to my prwevious msg while I was trying to send the missing screen shot. Anyway - did what you said to type into the terminal and got a msg sent back to me saying - well too much to type but maybe I can capture it in a screen shot - here it is.

I'm guessing I should choose " Install the package maintainers version"  Let me Know

Thanks  :)

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 10:11:20 PM »

jwwin

Only one screen shot came through so I'm trying again to send the screen shot for Valtam - which shows the original error message I was getting trying to install using "package installer" as you can see it PI  wanted to install Heimdall and was starting to when the error message popped up and everything froze.

Screen shot : 

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 10:03:16 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi jwwin,

Only see one screenshot, but that's probably enough.  That error message looks like something that would be seen if an update or installation did not fully complete.  It may have been interrupted or something like that.  Try doing what the message asks and run that command.  You need to run it as root or it won't work, so start the command with the word "sudo" to do that.  Open a terminal and enter the following as per the message:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
After it completes, open Synaptic Package Manager and try to install heimdall again.  Hopefully it works now.

If it doesn't work, or you get another error message, report back with that and another screenshot if possible.

In the meantime, if you still have the original Linux Lite ISO file that you used to make your installation DVD/USB, run an md5sum check on it and make sure the number matches what is shown on the download page.  To check the md5sum from a Windows system (which is where I'm guessing you have it), use something like this tool:  http://www.winmd5.com/.

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 09:13:09 PM »

jwwin

Ok trying again - I thank you Goldfinger for that extremely informative reply on how to use Synaptic package Installer with a great screen shot. I tried it and it blew up also. Will try to send you a screen shot of that, First I'm going to try to send a screen shot of the original error message pertaining to Package Installer. Although after trying Synaptic Package Installer and getting a system error msg I'm beginning to think I've got a corrupt copy of Linux Lite. I'm semi  computer literate and these error messages indicate a deeper system issue. But I shall attempt to send Screen shots for you both.   Well if I've read the instructions correctly you, Valtam should see a screen shot of my desktop with the original error msg that started it all. Next - Goldfinger I shall attempt to send you a screen shot of the second error msg which makes me susopect I've a corrupt copy of Linux  lite but you are the experts maybe I'm just missing something. Here is second screen shot: . Thats it let me know what you think. And thanks for your help it is appreciated.  :)

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 09:12:28 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Glad you got the printer(s) sorted out.

The "package installer" had loaded it up and was ready to install (no problem so far) - but as soon s I entered my Administrator  Password and it (Package Installer)  began installing "Heimdall"  I got the same annoying window pops up saying

quote :  ONLY ONE SOFTWARE MANAGEMENT TOOL IDS ALLOWED TO RUN AT ONE TIME !!!!!   Please close the other application  eg:  "Update Manager" Synaptic", or aptitude first. End quote.

Not really sure why you're getting that message.  Doesn't sound like you are using more than one program at same time.  From your description you said you were using the "package installer".  Did you download a .deb file and then try to install it with the "GDebi Package Installer"?  (That's what it sounds like you were doing, but I can't be sure.)  If so, a better way to install it would be through the Synaptic Package Manager which is opened with Menu -> System -> Install/Remove Programs.  Go ahead and open that, then type "heimdall" in the search box to find the program packages.

Click the boxes next to both packages and choose "Mark for installation".  Then hit the "Apply" button to carry out the install.  If there are any needed dependency packages, they will be listed for install also.

If that doesn't work, then post back with screenshot as Valtam asked.  (Instructions for posting screenshots are here.)

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 05:58:29 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Can you please post a screenshot of this issue in action (the entire screen)

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 05:56:50 PM »

jwwin

Okay got the printer problem solved - Linux (and an other - canon or any other third party)had no drivers. So I simply found a printer that had drivers written to work with Linux (HP PRINTERS) and installed a new printer. But still no go with installing new software (even though the new software is compatible with my Distro. I get the same error message as above (original error message). This time I dowloaded "Heimdall"

You wanted specifics - well here you are :

Heimdall is a command line tool and part of Heimdall Suite; a cross-platform open-source tool suite used to flash firmware (aka ROMs) onto Samsung Galaxy S devices.
Heimdall is the core binary in Heimdall Suite and is utilised by other Heimdall Suite binaries, such as Heimdall Frontend (the official Heimdall graphical user interface). 

The "package installer" had loaded it up and was ready to install (no problem so far) - but as soon s I entered my Administrator  Password and it (Package Installer)  began installing "Heimdall"  I got the same annoying window pops up saying

quote :  ONLY ONE SOFTWARE MANAGEMENT TOOL IDS ALLOWED TO RUN AT ONE TIME !!!!!   Please close the other application  eg:  "Update Manager" Synaptic", or aptitude first. End quote.

One I've read the manuals etc and still can't figure out how to fix this problem

Two  I have looked for "Update Manager" Synaptic", or aptitude"  and cannot locate them to turn them off.

Now thats as specific as I can get (oh yes it doesn't matter if its "Heimdall" or Thor or "Odin" (He's only for windows by the way- I think Bill Gates bought him off) I still get the same Warning. Please help if you can I'm rreally trying to stick with Linux. :P

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 10:52:15 PM »

shengchieh

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tux's Links
>  Please close the other application first eg: update manager, aptitude, or synaptic first

This is so that they don't mess each other up - one superiority of linux distros over window., linux distros favor reliability over "window" convenience.  That's why you see linux distros servers have uptime in term of years
instead of days.

Sheng-Chieh

p.s Linux is a kernel, not an OS (technically).  That's why I use linux distro.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section