You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

[SOLVED] Web based package browser.

Author (Read 6640 times)

Re: Web based package browser.
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 04:24:36 PM »

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Pentium E5700 3GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce GT 430
Interesting post you've got here misko_2083.

Have never heard of either one of the software centers you've pointed out.  Haven't yet tested either of the two myself yet and probably won't have time for that this week, but appreciate the heads up.

From what's been posted so far, I gather that neither one "breaks" LL, but they may not necessarily be good for installing software because some of the things listed are not in the LL repos.  If that's the case, things like these might just be more useful to people (especially newcomers to Linux) as a source of well organized listings of software with good descriptions and screenshots that will be easier to understand than the somewhat more cryptic use of Synaptic.  In other words, use either of these (or lubuntu-software-center) for informational purposes only and use traditional Synaptic to do the actual installations once they find what they want.  (If something's not available through Synaptic, they can come here for help or use a search engine.)

Just food for thought right now.  Not a recommendation until further testing confirms that LL is not adversely affected by their installation.

Lubuntu Software Center isn't showing all the packages.

I started testing Lubuntu Software Center on two test machines a couple of days ago and can confirm that not all software for LL shows up in it for installation.  Most does, but not all.  Plan to test it long term to make sure future system updates don't pull something in that breaks LL.  So far it doesn't appear to hurt anything.  I did experience a potential problem on one machine -- but have a feeling it may have been due to physical hardware slowly failing on it rather than the software center itself.  Will have better idea as testing continues over time and will keep everyone informed accordingly.
Neither of those can "break" LL. However, they work in a different ways. Appnr  is a web-based package browser (not a software center) and can only be used to install applications.
It actually tells APT what to install. APT system handles dependencies and instal lubuntu-software-centerls applications. So there is nothing that can "break" LL. The only thing that does is dist-upgrade and  ubuntu software-center.
Appnr uses the same method of installing applications as Bodhi Linux AppCenter http://appcenter.bodhilinux.com/ and that is apturl protocol.
It works like this, you just open a webpage in Firefox or Midori and find the application you whish to install and finaly click on the install button.
On the other hand, <b>lubuntu-software-center>/b> and <b>appgrid</b> are software centers they don't need Firefox to work.
They can also remove the applications.
Lubuntu Software Center is an open source software and is great until you need a certain application that's not on the list. We can use the terminal but new users will be like: "Terminal? Whaaaat? MS-dos thingy?" :)
App Grid is fast. Never seen anything like it before. Found 'Eye Of Gnome' and installed it without problems.
However, this is not an open source application and they say: "You may not copy, nor distribute
App Grid (this includes source code, binary code and design)."
Synaptic Package Manager is the only one that works well on LL. Until there is an alternative that looks better (more user friendly) and works just as good, it will be default on LL.
I personally would not recommend either one of them. Lubuntu Software Center works but if it cant "find" some applications it's a gamble and if you're feeling lucky maybe you'll find it. Appnr shows more then it can install. Probably because it needs some third-party repos. Maybe we could just add some applications to the website with install buttons like Bodhi Linux. Just thinking out loud.
App Grid is a closed-source application. That means if their company shuts down application is gone for good. And who knows what is their privacy policy.
Hey Misko

Code: [Select]
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:appgrid/stable && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install appgrid
Are you saying go ahead and add app repo and install appgrid that way?
Since I already have done it the manual way like you. But appnr?
I do not need need to do the above? Or What? Is appgrid another software center separate from appnr?

You left me hanging there bro with no description on what the above command does though I can interpret it OK.
You gotta remember. I am a dumb scooter tramp. <insert wink here since smileys don't work anymore>

These friggin linux names confuse my biker brain sometimes.
Sorry for confusing you buddy.
Appnr  is a web-based package browser (not a software center).
App Grid is a software center. A closed-source alternative to Ubuntu Software Center.

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 12:43:30 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Hey Misko

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:appgrid/stable && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install appgrid
Are you saying go ahead and add app repo and install appgrid that way?
Since I already have done it the manual way like you. But appnr?
I do not need need to do the above? Or What? Is appgrid another software center separate from appnr?

You left me hanging there bro with no description on what the above command does though I can interpret it OK.
You gotta remember. I am a dumb scooter tramp. <insert wink here since smileys don't work anymore>

These friggin linux names confuse my biker brain sometimes.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:47:03 PM by rokytnji »
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 11:20:21 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Interesting post you've got here misko_2083.

Have never heard of either one of the software centers you've pointed out.  Haven't yet tested either of the two myself yet and probably won't have time for that this week, but appreciate the heads up.

From what's been posted so far, I gather that neither one "breaks" LL, but they may not necessarily be good for installing software because some of the things listed are not in the LL repos.  If that's the case, things like these might just be more useful to people (especially newcomers to Linux) as a source of well organized listings of software with good descriptions and screenshots that will be easier to understand than the somewhat more cryptic use of Synaptic.  In other words, use either of these (or lubuntu-software-center) for informational purposes only and use traditional Synaptic to do the actual installations once they find what they want.  (If something's not available through Synaptic, they can come here for help or use a search engine.)

Just food for thought right now.  Not a recommendation until further testing confirms that LL is not adversely affected by their installation.

I started testing Lubuntu Software Center on two test machines a couple of days ago and can confirm that not all software for LL shows up in it for installation.  Most does, but not all.  Plan to test it long term to make sure future system updates don't pull something in that breaks LL.  So far it doesn't appear to hurt anything.  I did experience a potential problem on one machine -- but have a feeling it may have been due to physical hardware slowly failing on it rather than the software center itself.  Will have better idea as testing continues over time and will keep everyone informed accordingly.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 08:10:54 AM »

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

So my best guess is. Without the electric sheep Ubuntu ppa. Even though it shows up in appnr. Nothing will happen on install till apt says it is available. Because "sudo apt-get update" after installing appnr in Firefox does not change repos on the fly.
It just works with what you have. But shows what is available. Even if you cannot install it because you lack the ppa.
Thank you for testing rokytnji. You are right it shows all the packages even if you don't have the ppa.
I found an alternative Software Center. It's copyrighted :( , there is legal notice on the startup! But it's faster and even better than Ubuntu Software Center.
I whish there was something like this in the open-source world.

Installation:

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 04:09:51 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
Posted by: Snubbi
« on: Today at 20:26:36 » Insert Quote
You can also use Lubuntu Software Center
sudo apt-get install lubuntu-software-center
Hi Snubbi,

It is being tested, so it's not 100% certain yet
https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=1141.0
See Post #12

Dave
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 03:26:36 AM »

Snubbi

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux for all

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
You can also use Lubuntu Software Center
sudo apt-get install lubuntu-software-center
"I can resist everything except temptation" - Oscar Wilde

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 03:56:43 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

I won't be using it, but I am old school and stuck in my ways.

Well, The quickest way for me to jump ship is to have the rest go with the flow.

So later on. I will break out My Dell E5500 test laptop and give this a whirl.
See if I am the windshield or the bug when I try this out.

Later on is here

Ignored the later version available of downloaded mint packages in Gdebi. Followed Miskos tutorial by the numbers. I searched electricsheep> for another thread here. Looks OK to me. I have not used it to install anything yet though.

Modify:

Used the install buttons under the stars and told it to install electric sheep. The browser action thingy circled like something was loading for a split second and stopped. I checked with locate (after "sudo updatedb) electricsheep but nothing showed.

~$ apt-cache policy electricsheep
electricsheep:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: (none)
  Version table:

So my best guess is. Without the electric sheep Ubuntu ppa. Even though it shows up in appnr. Nothing will happen on install till apt says it is available. Because "sudo apt-get update" after installing appnr in Firefox does not change repos on the fly.
It just works with what you have. But shows what is available. Even if you cannot install it because you lack the ppa.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:59:59 PM by rokytnji »
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 03:30:28 PM »

Mike

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Ha! I had almost forgotten about Appnr. I watched it develop years ago and thought it was fairly novel. I'm pretty happy with Synaptic or the command line though.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 03:03:11 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
I'm sticking with Jerry's recommendation:

For me, the only well tested and reliable software manager in Linux Lite is Synaptic. So from that you can deduce that I am not in favour of using anything but Synaptic.

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 02:11:20 PM »

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thank you rokytnji,
It's easy to use. though works only for Firefox.
or like this:
apturl apt:firefox
The forum won't let me edit for some reason.
I just have to add this at the end
Caracter chain: New > String; Bolean: New > Bolean

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 02:04:40 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Nice work Misko.
I won't be using it, but I am old school and stuck in my ways.

Looks to be a nice alternative to synaptic though.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop

[SOLVED] Web based package browser.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Yes, Firefox can be used for this.
More info here: http://blog.appnr.com/about/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK typing this part for the third time because I got 2 '500 internal server error' messages :(
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone can install apturl but it requires the package 'update-manager'
Ubuntu's update-manager can brake LL.
This is what I did to avoid installing update-manager:

First, I've installed these packages:
http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/upstream/p/python-central/python-central_0.6.17ubuntu2_all.deb
http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/upstream/a/apturl/apturl-common_0.4.1ubuntu4.1mint1_all.deb
http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/upstream/a/apturl/apturl_0.4.1ubuntu4.1mint3_all.deb

Then I had to make sure they don't get upgraded:
echo "apturl hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections
echo "apturl-common hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections
And finally I've configured Firefox to open apturl:
 Enter about:config in the URL bar and add :

• network.protocol-handler.app.apt in character chain with /usr/bin/apturl as value,
  • network.protocol-handler.app.apt+http in character chain with /usr/bin/apturl as value,
  • network.protocol-handler.warn-external.apt in boolean value and put false as value,
  • network.protocol-handler.warn-external.apt+http in boolean value and put false as value.
Close and restart Firefox.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:12:44 AM by Scott(0) »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section