You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

DVD drive not recognised

Author (Read 20301 times)

Re: DVD drive not recognised
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 07:39:12 AM »

dapeba

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 2Ghz

• MEMORY: 1Gb
I can still run LL live from the dvd drive, and it also shows in drives when I run LL live from the usb stick. When doing the last operation it correctly identifies the dvd disc but freezes if I attempt to play. Loading LL from either the dvd or usb results in the dvd drive not being recognised. It's a mystery etc etc.

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2020, 01:54:47 AM »

robinc

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Turion 64

• MEMORY: 4Gb
Is it perhaps that the drive itself has gone u/s ?

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 12:05:11 PM »

dapeba

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thought that the problem had been solved. I uninstalled and reinstalled LL, but from a USB stick this time. I ran it live and the sony dvd player was shown under drives. I  then installed LL on the laptop, ran the updates, checked drives but no dvd player shown. I reran LL live opened the sony dvd, inserted a dvd, the title was shown and VLC player loaded, but hitting play resulted in a system freeze and a force release.

LL recognises the dvd drive in live mode but not from the installed programme. Could it be that updating the installed version somehow causes this disparity. I would be grateful for any advice on what the problem is, or, alternatively, if it's considered to be unsolvable, as I've spent many many hours trying to get to grips with it.

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2020, 03:36:45 AM »

dapeba

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi - Thanks for the suggestions. The sudo-apt ran OK. On the second command the message was 'libcdio-utils is already the newest version (1.0.0-2ubuntu2). Running cd-drive produced the following -

cd-drive version 1.0.0 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Copyright (c) 2003-2005, 2007-2008, 2011-2015, 2017 R. Bernstein
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
No loaded CD-ROM device accessible.
Drivers available...
  GNU/Linux ioctl and MMC driver     
  cdrdao (TOC) disk image driver     
  bin/cuesheet disk image driver     
  Nero NRG disk image driver     

I had posted this result before as I thought that if this was a solution to the the problem one of the options would be preferable for LL. If this is the case I would be grateful for advice on how to load the driver in LL. Thanks again for the help. Regards - D

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2020, 01:37:31 AM »

robinc

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks for the suggestions.
I did install from dvd, but this was a bios load. Loaded from dvd again but 'sudu apt libcdio-utils' produced 'unable to locate package libcdio-utils'. I also checked drives at the same time and the sony dvd was shown, however double clicking the icon produced 'failed to open. Can't mount file'.
You would need to have a network connection working and run
Code: [Select]
sudo apt update then
Code: [Select]
sudo apt install libcdio-utils
Remember that if you are running the OS from the DVD drive then it is going to get a bit puzzled if you start fiddling with it.

Please follow the above and run the 'cd-drive' and 'less /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info' commands

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2020, 04:02:53 AM »

dapeba

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Jerry - Just to clarify, Starting LL from the disc shows the dvd drive under drives, I guess because it has loaded from bios, but the only info is that it failed to open, can't mount file. If starting LL normally drives does not show the sony dvd drive. - D

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2020, 03:30:43 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Don't double click on the icon, it's not a file, it's a drive. Right click and choose Eject if you want to open it.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2020, 03:26:29 AM »

dapeba

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did install from dvd, but this was a bios load. Loaded from dvd again but 'sudu apt libcdio-utils' produced 'unable to locate package libcdio-utils'. I also checked drives at the same time and the sony dvd was shown, however double clicking the icon produced 'failed to open. Can't mount file'.

Have not gone into the bios suggestion as yet, I'm probably out of my depth there. I checked forums for the laptop (Rock Xtreme CTX Pro, a higher end machine ... in its day!) and there were posts re LL and missing dvd drives. These were regarding dual boot setups, which mine isn't, but the problems were cleared by using LILO instead of GRUB, again I'm out of my depth with this. Does this seem likely in a non dual setup, and if so how to do it.

The Rock was happily running the original XP OS, but the increasing vulnerabilities of XP caused me to install W10 32 bit, having been told it would be OK. In the event it was far from OK which led me to LL which is very good, but my main usage of it needs a dvd player. If all else fails I could revert to XP but I couldn't then use it as a backup due to the vulnerabilities.

Many thanks for the collective help. - D

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2020, 09:30:06 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-find-out-the-name-of-dvd-cd-rom-writer-blu-ray-device/
https://wiki.debian.org/CDDVD

You may or may not have a kernel polling error. If it won't mess up your system too much try defaulting your BIOS, or to be safe (be able to boot) get a supergrub2 disk on a USB prepared first and then default your BIOS. This was a common problem with Windows 8 upgrades to Windows 10 for some OEMs with bad/incomplete microcode/firmware. Most of the fixes suggested at the time will not work consistently through updates on newer Linux because of udev rules. Jerry is right that you are not alone in this problem.

TC 
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2020, 12:48:20 AM »

robinc

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

In your original post you said that you installed from DVD. That implies that LL must be able to see the DVD when it is booting from it.

So, I suggest that you boot the machine from the DVD again, install libcdio-utils and see what responses you get to the suggestions that Jerry has made form a live DVD session.

Hopefully the 'cd-drive' and 'less /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info' commands will then provide some info. If they don't then something very very weird indeed is going on!

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2020, 04:13:18 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

All I can think of now is to check the BIOS, look for a firmware update for your ROM drive, or physical connection. At this stage, LL is not seeing your hardware.

You're not alone:
Good thread - https://club.myce.com/t/dvd-rw-dw-q520a-firmware/171258/10

Perhaps even try one of our later kernels in Lite Tweaks.

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2020, 04:07:53 AM »

dapeba

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Jerry - I'm certainly not trolling you, I'm on the forum due to the dvd drive problem, and I apologise that I'm not conversant with LL. But, I have posted the results of the 3 commands that you gave me -

'dmesg |egrep -i --color 'cdron|dvd|cd/rw|writer' - Replied in message 8. The command doesn't execute.
'less /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info' - Replied message 11. I have run it since, still same result.
'cd-drive' - Replied message 14. -Reran that this am and forwarded it as it gave a choice of 4 drivers and I assumed that one would be preferable for LL.

Apologies & regards, David

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2020, 02:11:03 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

That's not the second command I posted grrr! You're either trolling me or something funny is going on. Either way, someone else will have to step in here. I'm done wasting time.

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2020, 02:08:47 AM »

dapeba

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi Jerry,
Due to my oversight I replied to the 3 prompts at different times. 'cd rom' Feb 4 11.14/'less proc ...' Feb 6 1.26/'cd drive' Feb 6 9.25.
With the 'cd drive' I ran the installation line and also auto removed the files that weren't required.
I have just rerun the 'cd drive' Command and get the following -

cd-drive version 1.0.0 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Copyright (c) 2003-2005, 2007-2008, 2011-2015, 2017 R. Bernstein
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
No loaded CD-ROM device accessible.
Drivers available...
  GNU/Linux ioctl and MMC driver     
  cdrdao (TOC) disk image driver     
  bin/cuesheet disk image driver     
  Nero NRG disk image driver

Regards, D

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2020, 03:38:19 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Look at my post again, I'm still waiting for the second command output.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section