You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Installing Irfan View

Author (Read 6332 times)

Re: Installing Irfan View
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 03:53:34 PM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
I found IfranView will run on LL 2.8 using the version provided in the .zip file.
Never been able to get the install version to work.

http://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm#Q61

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 03:52:58 PM »

justme2

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5 vPro

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel
Irfanview works 100% for me on LL3.4 with wine. But you are following instructions written in 2007. Download a later version of Irfanview and mfc42.dll will not be required. I run version 4.40 and mfc42.dll is not to be seen anywhere. All the plugins work too.

Install from a zip archive (which is not too easy to find!) from http://irfanview.info/files/iview444.zip

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 04:05:56 PM by justme2 »
1) Lenovo T520 i5 LL3.8 8GB ram, fast & stable
2) Medion P4 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, quite fast & stable
3) eeePC 901 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, fast & stable
4) eeePC 701 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, slower & stable but small and light enough to travel with me to New Zealand when visiting family in Blenheim.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 11:34:35 AM »

skikir

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: n270

• MEMORY: 1Gb
I'm new to LinuxLite.   Coming from PClinuxOS because it no longer supports 32 bit systems and XP is withering in the wind and I have 4 old Acer net-books I use in multiple areas that need a new 32 bit systems.  At this point I am really impressed with Linux lite however one of my "Must Have" apps is Irfanview.  PCLinuxOS has Irfanview in its repository and runs perfectly.  I have tried to install it under Play on linux and qtwine with out success. I can probably figure it out but it shouldn't be such a hassle.
Irfanview is so superior to the apps mentioned above that there is no comparison.  with the exception of Gimp they are just image viewers.  Irfanview has so many more capabilities for image enhancement and manipulation in addition to being an excellent image and file viewer.  Things like image resizing, color correction, conversion, scanning front end, paint, FAX and PDF viewer and a lot more.  It's great for 95% of image manipulation.  No offense to  Gimp but it is more of a dedicated graphics package like Photo Shop and is like using an excavator to dig a hole to plant a petunia.

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 12:15:58 AM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
I've never been able to get IfranView working on Linux, but I do use XnView for Windows version 2.36 without any problems.
XnViewMP doesn't yet have all the features the Windows version has.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 08:24:44 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
Thanks to all.  I will try one of the alternatives to Irfan View, but it would still like to try to install it, partly for the challenge, mostly because I'm just used to it, and at my age I hate change. I do, of course have wine installed and know how to access it.  What I don't know is how to copy the .dll file from my usb drive to wine.  The problem with the website I mentioned is that it assumes that you know how to do this, and it seems that most regular linux users make the same assumption - but I don't. I'm sure it is simple, but despite all my effort and considerable research, I still can't copy it.  Very frustrating.  Again, any help appreciated.   

Which part are you stuck on or having issue? As torrydale suggested in the 1st reply can you see the hidden folder ".wine"?
If you don't see it or any other hidden folder (in Linux a folder prefixed with the ".") Just like in Windows showing hidden folders need to be enabled: From within File Manager go to VIEW then tick the box next to "Show Hidden Files". Once its unhidden you can copy and paste using the GUI (right clicking).

If you are wanting terminal commands you can use the cp command to copy
You'll need to express both paths in the command the originating and the destination. so if the file named FILE is in your downloads and copying to Wine System32
cp /home/USERNAME/Downloads/FILE <space> /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/
Replace USERNAME with your log in
Replace FILE with the filename.dll
<space> is a space between - typed as below..
Code: [Select]
cp /home/USERNAME/Downloads/FILE /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32*Make sure your paths and file names are correct..

Update: Noticed Flash Drive..
To use cp you'll need the path - look in address after the drive is mounted and in it or use the df -h command in terminal..
The path is something like /media/USERNAME/88DC-6xd26  (88DC-6xd26 will be different)
so the command to copy:
cp /media/USERNAME/88DC-6xd26/FOLDER/FILE /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
If you receive an error may need to use sudo
sudo cp /media/USERNAME/88DC-6xd26/FOLDER/FILE /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 09:49:37 PM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 05:18:19 PM »

jfh

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Celeron M

Thanks to all.  I will try one of the alternatives to Irfan View, but it would still like to try to install it, partly for the challenge, mostly because I'm just used to it, and at my age I hate change. I do, of course have wine installed and know how to access it.  What I don't know is how to copy the .dll file from my usb drive to wine.  The problem with the website I mentioned is that it assumes that you know how to do this, and it seems that most regular linux users make the same assumption - but I don't. I'm sure it is simple, but despite all my effort and considerable research, I still can't copy it.  Very frustrating.  Again, any help appreciated.   

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 05:22:54 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

To jfh,

If you already have WINE installed, you might as well see if IrfanView will work.  But ultimately, I agree with Hanzo.  Applications designed to run natively on Linux are the way to go, and there are plenty of image viewers made for Linux.

When I was new (which was under 2 years ago), I installed WINE.  Now I do what I can to avoid it.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 04:47:15 PM »

Hanzo

• Hanzo from 4PDA
  • New to Forums
  • -=Evil FAQ Maker=-
    • View Profile

• CPU: Multiple hardware

• VIDEO CARD: Multiple hardware

Hello jfh,

Why using Irfanview on Linux?
Please see following link if you can use one of these alternatives
This book of the Law should not depart from your mouth, and you must read it in an undertone day and night. Josh.1:8
Distros: BBQ Linux -> Manjaro -> LL -> Centos -> Debian -> etc.
Main devices: MacBookPro 2011/Lenovo ThinkPad x240/Samsung N910F
Additional devices: ThinkPad x60s, T400, HP elitebook 2650p, Dell Latitude E6320, etc.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 02:24:29 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

Step 3 says: Copy this file to the analogous wine folder "/home/username/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32".

This assumes you have WINE installed.  If so, the .wine folder would be a hidden one.  You can see it by opening your home folder (Menu > Accessories > Home Folder) and then clicking on View and selecting Show Hidden Files.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Installing Irfan View
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 01:59:05 PM »

jfh

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Celeron M

Having successfully installed Linux Lite, I am trying to install Irfan View following the instructions on this site:http://www.boekhoff.info/?pid=linux&tip=install-irfan-view-on-linux
I have copied the .dll file to a flash drive, but I don't know how to copy it to the directory he specifies. I am very new to linux and terminal averse, but I'd appreciate any suggestions how I can complete this process.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section