You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Desktop - lost programs whilst active

Author (Read 3961 times)

Re: Desktop - lost programs whilst active
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 05:31:54 PM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

• Kernel: 5.x
Thanks GF - No Roll Up operational - Keeping desktop as simple as possible - default setting.

Scott(0) - My Window Buttons  has boxes ticked as per you example with the addition of BEHAVIOUR  "Restore minimised windows  to current workspace”

Re ALT + TAB   it has no  effect.

Have had  difficulties knowing which is the best set up  for the keyboard.  Laptop (TOSH A10)  is UK 86 keys.  Therefore wondering whether the compromise keyboard setup has altered things - using English (UK)  but  actual key numbers not listed in options.  (Previously working OK on LL 1.08 AFAIK.)

Also  the laptop had fresh install  of  LL2.0 with updates and then used the  kernel 3.15 update as per  instruction given elsewhere.   

All appeared to be working fine – browsing – odd Libre writing etc -.  and Mozillas  -   until I started minimising.   Problem intermittent - OK  when first switched on, but appears to be  vulnerable  later on.  1 GB Ram. 2.2 GHz Intel celeron.  855 G Vid.

I have also just found that Libre  is refusing to open  some previous  *.ods files written when using old LL 1.08 set up.

Therefore so as not to take valuable time,   Will  do a fresh install ( possibly over the weekend)  of LL2.0 + updates  and leave Kernel as  supplied.  Then see if the problem recurs.

Thanks again for all the help.
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 01:42:23 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Another possibility.

It's possible that you may have mistakenly used a feature called "window roll-up".  If you "roll-up" the window, you will only see the title bar when you maximize the window.  If it maximizes over another open window, you may not even notice it -- it may camouflaged by the other window.  Or if it maximizes along top of screen, you just might not notice it because you're not expecting to see just a title bar.  Here is a screenshot where I put a rolled-up window near middle of page:

Depending on your settings, you can un-roll the window by either clicking the "-" on the left side of that title bar, or by rolling your mouse wheel forward or backward while hovering on the title bar.  You can set that behavior in  Settings Manager -> Window Manager Tweaks -> Accessibility (tab).

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 12:01:13 PM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Hi Newtusmaximus

First, this is a possible temporary solution to this problem:

What is the procedure please to avoid restart and to "reopen/maximise" the program without the risk of losing any "current" work.  Thanks

Alt+Tab Key Combination
Have you tried the key combination alt+tab to cycle through open windows? To use it press and hold the alt key and each time you press the tab key (while still holding the alt key) you should see a window scroll through the currently open programs. When the program you want is highlighted release the alt key and that program should now be open on the desktop.

Regarding a possible fix to the problem.  Is the "Window Buttons" entry in the Panel Items list? What options are set for the Windows Buttons? Here's a screenshot of those from a working system. Compare your setup to these and post back what you find.

Desktop - lost programs whilst active
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:57:44 AM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

• Kernel: 5.x
Newbie question - procedure.

Re Mozilla Thunderbird/Firefox.  Periodically after I have opened Thunderbird or Firefox on the screen , and then think that I have minimised these, but I can not find them  on the desktop bar at the bottom of the screen to maximise again.   When trying to reopen them via  the menu/internet/ route a message comes up that they are already open and the only way out is to either close the program concerned or restart and force close.

What is the procedure please to avoid restart and to "reopen/maximise" the program without the risk of losing any "current" work.  Thanks

Running LL2.0 - but also noticed in Mint Maya on another PC
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section