You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

clamav and freshclam update failures

Author (Read 47683 times)

Re: clamav and freshclam update failures
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2020, 11:12:57 AM »

ridenotwalk

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 4.x
Thank you for your reply!  Ok, as I type this, I'm at the part where you have written as follows:
"Once the search has finished (it might find several directories/files) open the file as normal."

I'll rephrase to try and avoid confusion.

Once the search has finished, open the file "freshclam.conf" as you would normally open a file by double clicking on it. Check carefully before opening anything as the search may return several results which may be either directories or files.
You need to open the file named freshclam.conf
It should be: a text file of aprox 702 bytes located in /ect/clamav

I have the freshclam.conf open and it shows 24 files  - but none of them have the word "normal" in them.  Am I correctly understanding what you mean?

No you've misunderstood. You need to close what ever you opened and check what I wrote above
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 11:15:07 AM by ridenotwalk »

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2020, 10:12:33 AM »

Jan

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Acer Aspire 5517 AMD Athlon dual core L310 1200MHz laptop

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Windows Aero (not sure about the kernel below)

• Kernel: 5.x
Thank you for your reply!  Ok, as I type this, I'm at the part where you have written as follows:
"Once the search has finished (it might find several directories/files) open the file as normal."

I have the freshclam.conf open and it shows 24 files - but none of them have the word "normal" in them.  Am I correctly understanding what you mean?
Also, there is a message at the top of the window that says: "The search database is more than 7 days old.  Update now?"  Should I do this? 

I await your reply.  Thank you so much, Ridenotwalk! 

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2020, 06:00:58 AM »

ridenotwalk

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I'm not using LL at the moment so created a live USB using LL4.2UEFI as I know it works on this laptop I'm using right now. The steps below are using that so if you are using a different version of LL you may need to adjust accordingly.

From Menu, select My Computer then File System

Anywhere in the white space right click and select Open as administrator
You will likely be asked to enter your password. PLEASE NOTE, you are now working as root and ANYTHING you do from now will be done without LL asking you for permission as it thinks you know what you are doing so does it. You can harm your computer without careful consideration of what you are doing so please if you are not comfortable with what you are about to do, don't do it and close the pane/window

Anywhere is the white space right click and select Search here

The search pane will open, search for freshclam.conf

Once the search has finished (it might find several directories/files) open the file as normal.

Find the ConnectTimeout and RecieveTimeout entries and change them to 300 (300 seconds). Default is 30 IIRC

Click save

Close each pane/window as you normally would until you are back to the desktop.

Open Terminal and
Code: [Select]
sudo freshclam
If you get the errors
sudo rm /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log You can do
sudo rm -rf /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log if you like, I just prefer not to as the -rf scares me a bit right now till I learn more

sudo freashclam again and it should update as normal.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 06:12:01 AM by ridenotwalk »

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 01:57:48 PM »

Jan

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I ran into the same problem and this is what I did and it worked for me....

...again to have it time out.
Using the file manager, logged in as root, I found and edited the freshclam.conf file changing ConnectTimeout to 300 and RecieveTimeout to 300. I also changed Checks to 6 but that's me, you don't have to do this.
The idea behind changing the timeouts was due to the awsomely great and fantastic internet we get here in Oz, I figured it was taking too long to download the DB's and freshclam times out for me.

I ran
sudo freshclam again and the DB finished downloading and passed checks

Moments ago I ran
sudo freshclam and got
Sun Mar  8 12:22:47 2020 -> ClamAV update process started at Sun Mar  8 12:22:47 2020
Sun Mar  8 12:22:47 2020 -> daily.cvd database is up to date (version: 25744, sigs: 2210896, f-level: 63, builder: raynman)
Sun Mar  8 12:22:47 2020 -> main.cvd database is up to date (version: 59, sigs: 4564902, f-level: 60, builder: sigmgr)
Sun Mar  8 12:22:47 2020 -> bytecode.cvd database is up to date (version: 331, sigs: 94, f-level: 63, builder: anvilleg)

Thank you for your post.  I followed your advice to purge the clamav, but was not able to open the root folder in the file manager because it has a big X on it, so I skipped that part.  I then reinstalled the clamav, but followed the instructions in the tutorial.  Even so, I still ended up with the same four ERROR messages as before.  I ran both

sudo rm /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log
sudo rm -rf /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log

... but the problem is still the same the updates fail to load because it times out.  Seems like it could be a case of slow internet speed here too.

I would like to change the time connect settings in the freshclam.conf file as you did, but how to I get past the big X on the root folder in the File Manager?

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 12:28:33 PM »

Jan

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

How did you initially install clamav?

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

Well, truth be told, that's where I messed up initially, Jerry.  After installing the new 4.8 and downloading the updates, I went to the Synaptics Folder and started downloading the clamav from there.  I think I might have checked off some folders that I should not have checked.  When I ran into problems I checked the forum and saw where you referred another user to the clamav tutorial, which is very straight forward and easy to follow.  Afterward I thought maybe I should just do a fresh re-install of 4.8 and overwrite the existing one.  I started to do that but got nervous when I came to the re-partitioning part and wasn't sure how to proceed in overwriting it.  By then it was close to 2 am.  I thought it was best to shut things down at that point before I did something really stupid.  :)

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 01:52:30 AM »

ridenotwalk

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

The Help Manual has the best-practice guide specifically designed for Linux Lite.

Hi Jerry,
I used your tut to setup clamav on my laptop using LL4.2 UEFI and had the same timeout occur. At the time I cancelled the download and continued on to running a scan thinking I would search for a solution later. I did look at the user manual with no result and after searching for and trying several ideas I still had the timeout so put it in my sort out later basket.
Between then and now I decided to try LM on my laptop as I currently have LM on my main desktop which is packed away as I'm doing some renos to the house :-)  mostly because I wanted to compare LL to LM
I used your tut to setup clamav again, this time on LM 19.3 and encountered the same issues as I encountered using LL. I thought that the timeout might be related to the super awsome internet we get here in Oz so tried the changes and it solved the timeout problem for me so thought I'd share.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 01:59:22 AM by ridenotwalk »

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 12:41:49 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

The Help Manual has the best-practice guide specifically designed for Linux Lite.

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 11:32:03 PM »

ridenotwalk

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I ran into the same problem and this is what I did and it worked for me
I'll put a couple of caveats on it though so YMMV;
I am a relatively new user to Linux so my knowledge/experience is way lower than most and I may be leading you up the garden path
I still use some vocabulary that is more related to windoze but it should make sense
I did this on Linux Mint 19.3, not LL so some things may be different - I wanted to try LM on my laptop just to see what I think.
I am running LM on a 128Gb USB stick so am essentially dual booting Win10/LM at the moment
I used the GUI for some things as I'm not a super confident user of the Terminal yet.

These are the steps I followed

I used timeshift to create a new restore point just in case I stuffed something up

I did a complete remove of clamav using terminal -
sudo apt purge clamav
I used the file manager, logged on as root, to find and delete all files/directories related to clamav. I did not delete any that were in the timeshift directories

I did a new install of clamav via terminal -
sudo apt install clamav
  during this process I got recommended other installs so added those. In the end it looked like this -
sudo apt install clamav clamav-daemon clamav-docs libclamunrar9 daemon clamdscan
Once installed I rebooted the laptop

I ran
sudo freashclam and got the expected errors (locked by another process, etc)

I removed the logfile using
sudo rm /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log Note I did not use -rf

I ran
sudo freshclam again to have it time out

Using the file manager, logged in as root, I found and edited the freshclam.conf file changing ConnectTimeout to 300 and RecieveTimeout to 300. I also changed Checks to 6 but that's me, you don't have to do this.
The idea behind changing the timeouts was due to the awsomely great and fantastic internet we get here in Oz, I figured it was taking too long to download the DB's and freshclam times out for me.

I ran
sudo freshclam again and the DB finished downloading and passed checks

Moments ago I ran
sudo freshclam and got
Sun Mar  8 12:22:47 2020 -> ClamAV update process started at Sun Mar  8 12:22:47 2020
Sun Mar  8 12:22:47 2020 -> daily.cvd database is up to date (version: 25744, sigs: 2210896, f-level: 63, builder: raynman)
Sun Mar  8 12:22:47 2020 -> main.cvd database is up to date (version: 59, sigs: 4564902, f-level: 60, builder: sigmgr)
Sun Mar  8 12:22:47 2020 -> bytecode.cvd database is up to date (version: 331, sigs: 94, f-level: 63, builder: anvilleg)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 01:33:10 AM by ridenotwalk »

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 11:38:39 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

Has this been resolved? Could have just been a server issue on that day.

Try: https://gitlab.com/dave_m/clamtk/issues/90

Hi Jerry,  Thanks for your reply.  I tried loading clamav again today, and although it came from a different server, I got the same ERROR messages as before.  Actually, there are four ERROR messages in total and they are as follows:

ERROR: /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log is locked by another process
ERROR: Problem with internal logger (UpdateFileLog =  /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log)
ERROR: initialize: libfreshclam unit failed
ERROR: Initialization error

Also, I tried the  https://gitlab.com/dave_m/clamtk/issues/90.  It downloaded fine, but the clamav does not show up as an application, so am unable to execute the download.  I checked the Synaptics Manager folder and clamav and clamav-daemon show up as installed programs there, but nowhere else.  So, maybe this program is partially installed ???

@Jan

View my post here https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/installing-software/unable-to-get-antivirus/msg39662/#msg39662

The lock error = remove that log file, you may have cancelled/stopped a run - I tested on my old LL3.8 and mid scan cancelled tried update -- got locked error - rm commands ran, updated fine and a new scan ran..

I did get a notification it couldn't find a config file on initial 'freshclam' on 2nd run all up to date..

*use sudo and change directory to your home (I used 'yourusername')

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 12:14:48 AM »

robinc

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Turion 64

Some years ago I had an issue with clamav on LXLE 12.04 not updating. It was down to permissions on the log file.

This was what I wrote at the time - don't know if it helps.

Noticed one issue - clamav cannot update sigs because the log file directory is missing.
If you run sudo freshclam you get error:-
Can't open /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log in append mode

As root I created /var/log/clamav, then:-
chown -R clamav:clamav /var/log/clamav

freshclam now updates sigs OK.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 12:10:42 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

How did you initially install clamav?

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 05:34:28 PM »

Jan

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi Jerry,  Thanks for your reply.  I tried loading clamav again today, and although it came from a different server, I got the same ERROR messages as before.  Actually, there are four ERROR messages in total and they are as follows:

ERROR: /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log is locked by another process
ERROR: Problem with internal logger (UpdateFileLog =  /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log)
ERROR: initialize: libfreshclam unit failed
ERROR: Initialization error

Also, I tried the  https://gitlab.com/dave_m/clamtk/issues/90.  It downloaded fine, but the clamav does not show up as an application, so am unable to execute the download.  I checked the Synaptics Manager folder and clamav and clamav-daemon show up as installed programs there, but nowhere else.  So, maybe this program is partially installed ???

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 05:15:18 PM »

Jan

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I remember having this issue a while ago and can't exactly remember but I don't think ever managed to solve it, I just stopped trying and decided not to use any AV software in Linux,  so far haven't had any virus/malware scenarios. However, googling for it gave this https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/clamav-database-update-error.76634/ try that and see and if it works.

Thank you, Moltke, for the suggestion but, sadly, it didn't work out in my case. :(

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 10:21:10 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 10:17:23 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

Its a long time since I've been to these forums, but I just installed 4.8 on my old windows 7 laptop.  I'm trying to install the clamav antivirus as instructed in the help manual.  Despite receiving the ERROR message and typing in the sudo rm -rf /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log command, I repeatedly get the reply: 

"can't download daily.cvd from https://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd.  Download failed.
Time out was reached.  Remote version 25742.
Has anyone else ran into this problem?

I remember having this issue a while ago and can't exactly remember but I don't think ever managed to solve it, I just stopped trying and decided not to use any AV software in Linux,  so far haven't had any virus/malware scenarios. However, googling for it gave this https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/clamav-database-update-error.76634/ try that and see and if it works.

Hope this helps! :)
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section