You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Cannot get rid of Tavanero.info

Author (Read 2893 times)

Re: Cannot get rid of Tavanero.info
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 01:26:14 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Yeah this is a fairly weak Chrome browser hi-jacker in Linux. Quick fix with Linux is just install Startpage as the home page in your browser instead of Google or Yahoo, and save your session and reboot, and it should stop showing up, because it can't use any of its Google redirects from their proxy. Haven't seen any specific Linux repair and removal tools for it, don't think it is a problem anymore. Try updating your Chrome version from a Linux update site found via Startpage's search proxy and not Googled directly from Google.   

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

Re: Cannot get rid of Tavanero.info
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 06:43:10 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Had to look-up what "Tavanero" was -- had never heard of it before.  Looks like it's some kind of browser hijacker.  You didn't say, but I'm assuming this is happening on LL (not Windows) and that you're browser is Chrome (since you mentioned syncing to Google).  If assumptions are wrong, post back with details so people know exactly what you're talking about.

I don't use Chrome, but am guessing you can solve this same way I would if it were in Firefox.  Just delete the config folder/file of the browser (or rename it so it doesn't get used on startup; eg. "chrome.bad" or chrome.conf.bad").  Then next time you start Chrome it will make and use a brand new profile without whatever was infecting the old one.

Browser config folder/file can probably be found under the ".config" folder in your home.  Open file manager and hit CTRL+H to view hidden files.  Open the ".config" folder and look for folder belonging to browser.  Rename the folder so it wont get used, or delete it.  Start browser again and it should be just like first time you used it.  You'll lose and need to setup bookmarks, custom settings, and any addons you like -- but infection should be gone.

NOTE:  Since I don't know how that hijacker works, I'm not recommending to use backed-up bookmarks and/or other settings in the new profile.  Doing so may pull the hijacker back in with them.  (Just a guess on my part.)  I have no idea if syncing with Google can pull it back in or not -- I've never used any cloud syncing service.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 06:44:41 PM by gold_finger »
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

Cannot get rid of Tavanero.info
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 10:12:51 AM »

john9159

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
From time to time my pc gets invaded by Tavanero which annoys me as I cannot browse properly, or securely.
I've tried a few times to be rid of it by syncing Google but my latest attempts have failed so maybe I have forgotten how to do it this time round.
Has anyone a suggestion of how I can go about removal please?
Thank you

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section