Software - Support > Installing Software

Can Linux Lite be updated when using persistent live USB version?

(1/3) > >>

Jerry:
The correct, reliable method is to use the Tutorial we already provide in the Help Manual under USB Persistence.

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

musicismylife:

--- Quote ---
Ok. I created a Linux Lite Live USB with persistence using rufus, and was able to update & upgrade, tho I did have one problem, but it's beyond my control.
This is what you need to do:
1. Boot up your Linux Lite persistent Live USB.
2. Click on menu, and in the search bar, type drive, the tool should appear as you do
3. Click on the tool to start it, once it's started, click on other software tab, and untick the 2 boxes that read cdrom, then click on close
4. Launch Linux Lite Terminal and type
--- Code: ---sudo apt update
--- End code ---
and hit Enter, once that's finished type
--- Code: ---sudo apt upgrade
--- End code ---
and hit Enter again.

As you can see in pics above, there were no errors about cdrom, and the system did upgrade. However, you might have noticed as well the other errors about some mirrors out-of-sync, well I can't do anything about it but try later, so if you do encounter the same, just try later. By the way, you could install Linux Lite in the USB too, just burn/write the ISO to another USB stick, boot it up, and when installing select the  spare 32GB USB drive as the destination, that's it. :)

--- End quote ---

Hello again. I tried the first method you suggested and that has fixed the problem.  I must repeat the process every time I want to install updates (uncheck cdrom as it keeps being re-checked) but now I can do and have done updates.  And will be able to keep doing them.

So far, so good.  I'll keep the second method in mind too (have a second USB drive, just in case.) 

Thanks again for the help!

musicismylife:
Hey Moltke!  Thank you.  Actually the USB with LL on it died completely and has become inaccessible.  I'm going to buy a couple more USB drives and update you after I work the steps you've provided.

Moltke:

--- Quote from: musicismylife on August 14, 2021, 07:29:30 AM ---
--- Quote from: Moltke on August 13, 2021, 09:47:01 AM ---Ok. I should've asked this before, but how did you create Linux Lite's live USB with persistence? Did you follow the help's instructions? https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/tutorials.html#usbpers

--- End quote ---

I used the program Rufus.  First I created a non-persistent USB.  Then I realized I had made a mistake and went back and created a persistent USB which has kept all the settings I've done to LL since and also stored photos and files I wanted.  It  just won't allow me to do any updates. LL is on a spare 32GB USB drive I had. So there's plenty of room on it.

https://rufus.ie/en/

--- End quote ---

Ok. I created a Linux Lite Live USB with persistence using rufus, and was able to update & upgrade, tho I did have one problem, but it's beyond my control.
This is what you need to do:
1. Boot up your Linux Lite persistent Live USB.
2. Click on menu, and in the search bar, type drive, the tool should appear as you do

3. Click on the tool to start it, once it's started, click on other software tab, and untick the 2 boxes that read cdrom, then click on close

4. Launch Linux Lite Terminal and type
--- Code: ---sudo apt update
--- End code ---
and hit Enter, once that's finished type
--- Code: ---sudo apt upgrade
--- End code ---
and hit Enter again.

As you can see in pics above, there were no errors about cdrom, and the system did upgrade. However, you might have noticed as well the other errors about some mirrors out-of-sync, well I can't do anything about it but try later, so if you do encounter the same, just try later. By the way, you could install Linux Lite in the USB too, just burn/write the ISO to another USB stick, boot it up, and when installing select the  spare 32GB USB drive as the destination, that's it. :)

musicismylife:

--- Quote from: Moltke on August 13, 2021, 09:47:01 AM ---Ok. I should've asked this before, but how did you create Linux Lite's live USB with persistence? Did you follow the help's instructions? https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/tutorials.html#usbpers

--- End quote ---

I used the program Rufus.  First I created a non-persistent USB.  Then I realized I had made a mistake and went back and created a persistent USB which has kept all the settings I've done to LL since and also stored photos and files I wanted.  It  just won't allow me to do any updates. LL is on a spare 32GB USB drive I had. So there's plenty of room on it.

https://rufus.ie/en/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version