You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Calibre 1.25 and Calibre 2.4xx

Author (Read 6013 times)

Re: Calibre 1.25 and Calibre 2.4xx
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 02:25:06 AM »

nublix

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Pentium 4, 3.06GHz | HD: 1TB

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics (rev04)
Hi nublix,

I might have missed it in the thread.
Have you actually tried, AFTER uninstalling 1.25, to just install 2.x another time again?

HUh? :) Well, with the blind leading the blind, neither one of us thought of doing that at the time -especially since the library was working quite well and is now well stocked with over 500 books. If a shelf falls, this would be a fall back plan.

Smart suggestion in the question. Thanks.

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 02:12:03 AM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi nublix,

I might have missed it in the thread.
Have you actually tried, AFTER uninstalling 1.25, to just install 2.x another time again?

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 12:42:34 AM »

nublix

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

any update on the functionality differences of the two versions?

thank-you.

What a long delay in replying. . . sorry. No I never got around to checking it out as such. Except, my pal installed 2.4xx from Calibre's site without uninstalling 1.25 first. It works as 2.4xx and then he uninstalled 1.25 and 2.4xx wouldn't open. He got an error message and solve the issue by re-installing 1.25.

We're both newbies -blind leading blind, if you will.  Interesting thing is, Caibre is now updated (from Calibre's site) to ver. 2.50 and works fine -and we still do not know why 1.25 needs to cohabit with 2.5xx.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 03:00:49 PM »

somewhereman

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

• CPU: laptop

• MEMORY: 256mb

• VIDEO CARD: laptop
any update on the functionality differences of the two versions?

thank-you.

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 06:29:18 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
You're welcome.  Glad to help.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 12:38:03 PM »

nublix

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Makes absolute sense. Thanks g_f!

As well, I do appreciate the time you took to look up the info for me. That was right swell of you.  I've now added two new CLs to my slowly growing newbie list, awesome  ;D.

I will experiment with the 2 versions as I'd love to see what happens -thanks for advising about VB.

. . . and just thanks man -you've been super helpful ;D.

. . . and then I went and read this,
Lastly, whenever you've got spare time you may want to look through some of the links listed on this page:  https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/tutorials/linux-basics-useful-beginner-information/

Very good for us newbies to know otherwise we'll blunder all over the place  :).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 01:18:58 PM by nublix »

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 07:23:49 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Haven't done it [yet] but, if Calibre 2.4xx was installed without 1.25 being uninstalled beforehand, uninstalling 1.25 at that point would leave 2.4xx somewhere on the computer? If yes, where would it be?

Not really sure what you'd run into in that situation.  I'd guess that 2.4x would still be where it got installed to ("/opt" according to their site).  I don't know if uninstalling one after installing both would somehow remove components needed by the second, or mess up config files that might have been shared by the two.  I've never tried installing two versions of same software so can't really answer that.

If you're really curious, you could install LL to Virtualbox and install both to the system there; then remove 1.25 and see what happens.  That way you can experiment in virtual machine install of LL instead of possibly breaking your main system.

Come to think of it, this question can be answered not only for Calibre but for any software one would install outside of what LL has in its repos.

Keep in mind, as a general rule it is almost always best to stick with software versions that are in the repos.  Exceptions like Calibre do exist, but most of the time the ones in the repos (even though not the latest versions) are best.  They've been tested for and confirmed to work well in the particular distro version that you're using.  (That goes for any Linux distro, not just LL.)  Unless there is a specific new feature in a newer release that you must have, just stick to the versions in the repos.

(Side Note:  I've used the standard Calibre package myself without running into any problems and didn't even know that the Calibre people recommend using their newest one over the repo version until looking up the answer for you here.)

Getting back to your question about finding out where packages get installed to, open a terminal and enter:
Code: [Select]
which calibre
and

whereis calibre
Use the built-in manual command (man) to find out more about both of those commands.
man which
man whereis

Also, have a look at this link explaining the different parts of Linux file system:  http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

Lastly, whenever you've got spare time you may want to look through some of the links listed on this page:  https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/tutorials/linux-basics-useful-beginner-information/

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 10:17:39 PM »

nublix

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Fantastic! Thanks for answering my questions gold_finger and for the advice about updating and the package manager. And Jerry for confirming.

Haven't done it [yet] but, if Calibre 2.4xx was installed without 1.25 being uninstalled beforehand, uninstalling 1.25 at that point would leave 2.4xx somewhere on the computer? If yes, where would it be?

Come to think of it, this question can be answered not only for Calibre but for any software one would install outside of what LL has in its repos.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 10:11:41 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x

If you use "Mark All Upgrades" in package manager it may pull in updates for packages that have dependency packages whose updates are not ready yet, thus break functionality.  The "Install Updates" tool won't update something until its dependency packages are also ready.  (At least that's my understanding of the difference.)

Absolutely correct.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 09:59:52 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Only Calibre 1.25 is available for installation. I would like to install the latest version from Calibre's site. Should I remove the older version thru Package Manager first?

Yes, select "Mark for complete removal".

I saw an option in Package Manager called 'Mark All Upgrades' what is it for and can I use it to upgrade Calibre 1.25 to 2.4x, if yes, how?

That won't upgrade Calibre to 2.4x.  After deleting the old package, follow instructions on their site to install the new one:  http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

Don't use the package manager for doing regular updates either.  Just use the built-in LL tool "Install Updates".  That will insure only appropriate packages get updated.  If you use "Mark All Upgrades" in package manager it may pull in updates for packages that have dependency packages whose updates are not ready yet, thus break functionality.  The "Install Updates" tool won't update something until its dependency packages are also ready.  (At least that's my understanding of the difference.)

Calibre 1.25 and Calibre 2.4xx
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 07:18:13 PM »

nublix

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I'm still finding my way around Lite and have a question.

Only Calibre 1.25 is available for installation. I would like to install the latest version from Calibre's site. Should I remove the older version thru Package Manager first?

I saw an option in Package Manager called 'Mark All Upgrades' what is it for and can I use it to upgrade Calibre 1.25 to 2.4x, if yes, how?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 11:16:33 PM by Jerry »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section