You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Blank Install Updates Window

Author (Read 6212 times)

Re: Blank Install Updates Window
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 05:55:17 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Please run Install Updates with nothing else open make sure that everything is closed first and that Resource Usage reports minimal cpu and ram usage, then report back.

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 05:30:43 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
It is  an incomplete or time lagged permissions issue, or an underrun. Several things can cause it. Multiple sudo users is often the cause when people use incomplete code to set a second sudoer that botches permission levels, or only partially installs sudo. This also involves firewall settings for each sudoer. Mismatched BIOS and OS user time settings can cause it as well depending on the mirror used though this is very rare for backports anymore. Routers can occasionaly cause it as well when set to generate new maccs on a scheduled update table if you use an ethernet connection, combined with a slow disk, slow 64bit CPU and limited RAM. (though not wifi). Proxies can foul up firewall settings as well.  If your LL conky widget is running wait until the CPU falls back to single digit usage levels before updating. I can't think of anything else at the moment. If the screen came back the permissions are resolved.

**Also as far as LL updates, almost all of the problems are caused by users still on a learning curve adding PPAs that they don't know how to manage properly.

TC
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:48:22 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 08:53:53 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
There are some other ideas for solving it on the above thread.
Idea that was wrote by LL developer team member Ralphy.
Other than this I see no other ideas about it.
Maybe someone else will have some other/new things to try, like is usual.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 04:10:40 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 08:48:22 PM »

DenW

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Pentium Dual Core T4300@2100GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVIDIA GeForce G102M
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I have always had my firewall turned on with no rules specified so do not think that is the problem in my case.  Any other ideas out there?

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 08:36:25 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello DenW

it was similar in https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/installing-linux-lite/update-screen-is-blank/msg31500/#msg31500

Solution member found was to turn on firewall.

Hold down Ctrl and Alt press T

Type this text

Code: [Select]
sudo ufw enable
type you password when prompted
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:42:55 PM by bitsnpcs »

Blank Install Updates Window
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 08:24:21 PM »

DenW

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Pentium Dual Core T4300@2100GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVIDIA GeForce G102M
It appears that the update procedures used by LL have some problems right now based on other posts (but I have not experienced any of those so far!).  I am reporting that on at least three recent occasions when updates were detected the gui-window which allows you to see the updates before install did not populate but remained blank.  If I then pushed the install button on the blank window the update progress window opened and correctly installed the updates, which I could check in the log file window then available.  Tonight it happened to me again so this time I cancelled the install and then initiated the install software procedure from the menu again.  This time the updates appeared as they should and installed correctly.

This possible minor "bug" does not trouble me personally as I do get available updates.  However I am intending to install LL on a friends old laptop for his use and I do not like to raise doubts in his mind about the reliability of Linux (he is a Windows convert).
Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so is there a solution?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section