You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Best way to install Clamtk?

Author (Read 7316 times)

Re: Best way to install Clamtk?
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 05:27:14 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
@Jerry  It does look cool Jerry, and I suppose it could have a comforting familiarity for ex-Windowers. In the end though, technically speaking, any tk is an exploit point, and given that server downloads of definitions are headless, even in the process of monitoring mail (which is essentially all it is designed for) the vulnerability of script and/or code injection and introduction is real through several avenues including simple spoofing. I don't like Windows patches on top of Linux OSs. Just opens new doors.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 04:47:00 PM »

GregO

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i3

• MEMORY: 6Gb

I've read mixed opinions on AV use with Linux distros.

I would go along with what trinidad says, word for word. It is a good time getting rid of the usual Windows hangups. Linux is a different game.

I'm sure Trinidad's information is credible with him knowing much more than I about Linux, and Windows for that matter and I have no worries. I just wanted something extra, and figured I'd ask here about it.
We only get one shot at this thing called life, let's make the best of it.

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 03:25:07 PM »

richtea

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: E3815 @ 1.46 GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Atom Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series

I would go along with what trinidad says, word for word. It is a good time getting rid of the usual Windows hangups. Linux is a different game.
Terry Davis Command Line video cracks me up.
Quod delere vos ego faciam permanens.

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 09:35:27 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Think Jerry is sampling a little something.. LL4 or ??
Notice the LITE AntiVirus.. ClamAV with a Linux Lite twist...
Looks good BTW...

The implementation is tricky. It's something I've played with on and off for a while. Most of what your see works, I also have a tray icon for it. More likely to end up as an option in Lite Software. Our target audience is Windows refugees so it makes sense to at least provide a simple to use option given many will be running Wine/PlayonLinux.

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 08:12:20 PM »

GregO

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

clamav is a waste of time with Ubuntu Linux considering any increased security benefit you expect to derive from it. There's not really even a piece of mind benefit, as it's more like a nuisance fetish once you start. AV is not a Linux security solution.

I'm the type that likes all the bells and whistles, and if it don't affect the performance of my machine (which I doubt it will), I don't mind having it installed whether it's really needed or not.

Looks good BTW...
I agree.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:15:17 PM by GregO »

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 08:01:35 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

So downloading ClamAV version 0.100.0 would be a better option?
Think Jerry is sampling a little something.. LL4 or ??
Looks good BTW...
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 07:21:07 PM »

GregO

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Makes me wanna...

So downloading ClamAV version 0.100.0 would be a better option?

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 11:41:17 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Makes me wanna...

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 06:53:06 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

I use clamav live sometimes, or usually KIS live to scan Windows boxes that come in here for repair depending on what flavor of customer paranoia I have to deal with, but beyond that I don't really see an everyday ordinary Linux user purpose for AV in general. Real concerns with security in Linux begin with change logs and checksums, something that clamav has nothing to do with and wouldn't know the difference anyway. On the other hand an everyday ordinary Windows user would be nuts to run without AV. The installed base system software on your Linux computer cannot be easily changed without your permission, (strong passwords, repo keys etc.) and cannot be changed at all without you noticing if you know how and where to look. Setting up sum logs and running a pre-load system vetting inventory is a reasonable idea (which is already partly done during boot and fsck) but clamav is a waste of time with Ubuntu Linux considering any increased security benefit you expect to derive from it. There's not really even a piece of mind benefit, as it's more like a nuisance fetish once you start. AV is not a Linux security solution. It's a Windows patch. Stable distributions like Debian get harder and harder to hack everyday, while MS in general exposes thousands of vulnerabilities every time they change something. It is an actual fact that their own developers are often unaware of the code artifacts in their own patchwork quilt of a system.

TC   
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 04:46:14 PM »

GregO

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks.

I tried using clamav from the tutorial in the manual, but I wanted an actual GUI so I decided I wanted to install clamtk.

After a few attempts, I pasted the following code in a terminal and clamtk installed...

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install clamtk clamav
Once it was installed I installed updates, and then opened the clamtk program and opened its settings and check marked everything in that menu to be scanned.
Since my laptop doesn't run all the time because it's unplugged when not in use, and the battery needs replaced, I set it to scan daily 10 minutes from the time I installed it to test it.

There was nothing to show that it was running, so I opened task manager and verified that clamtk was running. Once the scan was completed, I opened history in the program, and the scan which yielded these results...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/home/greg/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Steam/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamclient.dll: PUA.Win.Packer.XmMusicFile-1 FOUND
/home/greg/.config/libreoffice/4/user/basic/Standard/Module1.xba: PUA.Doc.Tool.LibreOfficeMacro-2 FOUND

----------- SCAN SUMMARY -----------
Known viruses: 6477140
Engine version: 0.99.4
Scanned directories: 2866
Scanned files: 22088
Infected files: 2
Data scanned: 1874.94 MB
Data read: 2899.03 MB (ratio 0.65:1)
Time: 1035.090 sec (17 m 15 s)

ClamTk, v5.20
Mon Apr 16 12:52:11 2018
ClamAV Signatures: 6477653
Directories Scanned:

I installed playonlinux last week and decided I wouldn't be using it, so I removed it after the scan. I haven't used Libre Office yet and figured since it's only a PUA and part of Linux Lite, I'd just leave it as is.

I'm sure there's a command to make this program run automatically every time I startup, but I haven't found it yet. If there is a command to run it at startup, I'll probably add that setting later.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 03:41:32 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 01:57:27 PM »

GregO

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Disregard. I ended up finding a command that worked.

Best way to install Clamtk?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 11:46:43 AM »

GregO

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I've searched the web with regards to this and have found different information on how to install Clamtk, and have tried to install it a few times and continue to get errors.

Is there a thread here on how to do it, or can someone tell me the best way to do it?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section