You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

(solved) LinuxLite 2.4 64bit Thinks it's 2.2 after update - Won't boot

Author (Read 7359 times)

Re: (solved) LinuxLite 2.4 64bit Thinks it's 2.2 after update - Won't boot
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 02:17:53 AM »

baranbaran

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: ram cpu

• MEMORY: 256mb

• VIDEO CARD: tam cpu
this version is preety nice to work on
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 06:22:45 AM »

davidoser

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks Rob
This is, of course, not of great importance. But I have installed and looked at Grub-Customizer, as you suggested.
I'm going to start a new thread, however, as I seem to have hijacked my own thread here, and my initial problem is solved...
David

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 03:41:19 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

It now saying 'Ubuntu' could be a result of that 'dist-upgrade' command. Never fear, though - GRUB Customizer lets you change it from 'Ubuntu' to say whatever you want it to say...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 09:32:48 AM »

davidoser

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks Jerry and Big Thanks to all involved for Linux Lite 2.4.
The problem of self-identification as 2.2 rather than 2.4 is solved thanks to Jerry's input. And it now, on my legacy BIOS machine, it boots straight from my (full installation) usb stick.
Interestingly enough, and sorry it's probably off topic - I found that I can now boot into Linux Lite from my ex-Windows 8.x UEFI machine.
How? On my legacy BIOS machine, from Synaptic - Custom Filters - Missing Recommends, I found and installed grub-efi.
Having done that, I found it still wouldn't boot in my UEFI machine directly-from-the-usb, no-surprise. But I left the usb stick in when running Ubuntu 14.10 on that machine and 'sudo update-grub' did the trick of placing 'Linux Lite 2.4' on the existing grub menu on that machine's HD. From which it does, now, boot successfully.
The only slight catch is that Linux Lite now calls itself 'Ubuntu' when booting directly from the usb on my legacy BIOS machine. But I suppose you can't have everything...  8)
David

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 05:16:45 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Bit of an oversight on the 64bit version of 2.4
If you install 64bit, lsb-release will show it as 2.2 (my bad)
Running the upgrade tool on 2.4 after a fresh install (funny, I know) should correct any mis-reporting :)

Menu, Settings, Lite Upgrade.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 05:23:00 PM by Jerry »

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 02:44:54 PM »

davidoser

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Yup Coatie. Something wrong with the 64 bit version. But at least I solved my problem.
After full installation and first boot I ran
sudo apt-get update.. then
sudo apt-get upgrade ... then
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

All sorts of stuff happened/downloaded/installed between the three.
Then just for luck I ran sudo grub-update

The shut down and rebooted.
It rebooted fine - except grub still calls it 2.2 and so does the System Information.

So I have a working version of a 64 bit Linux Lite. But I have no idea whether or not it is truly version 2.4

Bah!

Still greatfull and all that. After all - it is free and a lot of hard work put in on a voluntary basis by the developers. Which I appreciate cos it's a nice distro.

However, until this gets sorted out - I'm going to stick with Ubuntu for my main machine. Not least because it is UEFI and it seems a little odd that with so many new machines being UEFI booting the LL developers have not yet got to grips with this. Maybe version 2.5?

I think I won't call this 'solved' yet because I have no idea what version of LL I'm actually running from my usb stick.

Edit: I now see misko-2083 is on the case and has queried Jerry.

Good luck guys.

All the best... :D

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Pentium E5700 3GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce GT 430
Booted 64 bit live DVD LL 2.4 in a VM and I can confirm that it's reporting as LL 2.2.
Checked md5sum of the iso file and is ok.
But when checked llver
Code: [Select]
cat /etc/llver
Linux Lite 2.2
???
Jerry?

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)

... downloaded and booted live DVD for LL 2.4 - 64. System Profiler on live DVD said it was 2.2.  Looking for changes from 2.0,  found Lite Upgrade and it offered to upgrade to 2.4. This may just be normal way to get 2.4.  :-\

Repeated same process with 2.4 - 32 bit and it shows it already is 2.4 with no update or upgrade needed.

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

davidoser

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
... Do I need to install afresh (avoiding updates for a while) or is there something a not especially linux-knowledgeable guy can do...?

I am far from being an expert but I just downloaded and booted live DVD for LL 2.4 - 64. System Profiler on live DVD said it was 2.2.  Looking for changes from 2.0,  found Lite Upgrade and it offered to upgrade to 2.4. This may just be normal way to get 2.4.  :-\

Believe me Coastie - it's not 'normal' This is what I call a bug.

davidoser

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Yup.
I wasn't being stupid. Well, anyway - not that stupid. But I have repeated the procedures very carefully, just in case.
I downloaded LL 2.4-64 bit (what it 'said on the tin') and installed it as a live version onto a freshly formatted usb (Fat32, since you ask).
I booted directly from that usb (not on my uefi laptop, natch - and that's a whole nother story guys) on  my old fashioned BIOS machine (legacy?). All fine.
Then I looked at the System Information in the alleged Linux Lite 2.4-64bit live - and waddya know?... it showed the distribution labelled as 2.2
So, still via this live version I followed the link in the installation application to the 'release notes' - and my browser took me straight to release notes to 2.4.
But there was nothing in them indicating it would load as 2.2, that you'd have to do a double-witch-hex after install and before updating it, etc, etc, yadda, yadda.
This folks is what I call a bug(geration!)
No point in installing then. Because after the first time I successfully boot from the full installation (which it will do, 'cos it did last time) I will want to update it. And after I have updated it... It won't boot. Because Grub will be looking for the wrong thing. And since it won't boot there will be nothing I can do about it from within it, if you see what I mean.
Sigh...

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
... Do I need to install afresh (avoiding updates for a while) or is there something a not especially linux-knowledgeable guy can do...?

I am far from being an expert but I just downloaded and booted live DVD for LL 2.4 - 64. System Profiler on live DVD said it was 2.2.  Looking for changes from 2.0,  found Lite Upgrade and it offered to upgrade to 2.4. This may just be normal way to get 2.4.  :-\

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Stupid me. I have a suspicion I reinstalled my 2.2 version again by mistake - then updated it (but surely it should have booted correctly - even so?). Will report back again if 2.4 does not boot....
Sorry!
Dave

OK.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
So I downloaded and installed it.

How? Was a md5sum check done 1st?

Actually a full install into a 32g USB stick from the live version, using 'something else' - separate partitions for boot, root, home, etc.

what file system was used on the pendrive install on the different partitions when you went with a conventional install?

I then went to 'install updates' and did so. No errors reported. Unfortunately I then shut down and attempted to reboot. But Grub now showed v2.2. And, of course, it won't boot.

Hard to tell what happened from here. If me. I'd plug the usb drive in my other linux laptop.
Open my pendrive in gparted and look at it in case it is covered in writes (all yellow, no white)
Then unmount it in gparted with right click.
Then run a check using right click again in gparted.

Let it do the fsck on my pendrive. Then try to boot it again.
It sounds like you might have corrupted the file system with a improper unmount of the pendrive.

LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

davidoser

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Stupid me. I have a suspicion I reinstalled my 2.2 version again by mistake - then updated it (but surely it should have booted correctly - even so?). Will report back again if 2.4 does not boot....
Sorry!
Dave

(solved) LinuxLite 2.4 64bit Thinks it's 2.2 after update - Won't boot
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 09:45:13 AM »

davidoser

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hum
Just as it says in the Subject.
I was delighted with v2.2 but thought a fresh install of 2.4 (64 bit) might delight me even more. So I downloaded and installed it. Actually a full install into a 32g USB stick from the live version, using 'something else' - separate partitions for boot, root, home, etc.
It then booted just fine, calling itself 2.4 on the boot loader.
I then went to 'install updates' and did so. No errors reported. Unfortunately I then shut down and attempted to reboot. But Grub now showed v2.2. And, of course, it won't boot.
Now, folks, is it just me - or did one of the alleged updates bork the Grub file? Or something?
Do I need to install afresh (avoiding updates for a while) or is there something a not especially linux-knowledgeable guy can do...?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 06:25:46 AM by davidoser »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section