You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

[SOLVED]Installing Updates

Author (Read 8883 times)

Re: [SOLVED]Installing Updates
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 12:15:28 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

To look online is best, because that UIAM, the tethering procedure depends on which version of Android you have. In 4.2, it is:

Settings > Wireless & Networks (More...) > Tethering & Portable Hotspot, connect USB cable to PC, then select 'USB Tethering'.

The connection will appear as a new wired connection on the LL taskbar.

NOTE: The availability of this capability depends on whether or not your carrier has removed it from the ROM of their phone.

Here, most of the discount carriers disable hotspot/tethering on the phones sold in their stores, so you use a phone that isn't disabled instead. (The truth is, for all that anyone knows, you're surfing from the phone, since Linux and Android IP packets have the same Time To Live [64])...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 03:30:53 PM »

Kalifornia

Hello!

Glad you were able to sort it all out. I went through this, also - I guess a recent kernel update broke the Broadcom drivers. Next time, I'll just roll back to the older kernel.

If you have an Android phone, and that feature has not been removed from its ROM by your carrier, you SHOULD be able to 'tether' it to the PC for Internet access. I use this feature frequently when I'm out and about...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

Thanks. I do have an Android phone, but I've never done any tethering, so I wouldn't even know where to begin that. I guess a Google search would be in order. :)

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 01:14:30 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Glad you were able to sort it all out. I went through this, also - I guess a recent kernel update broke the Broadcom drivers. Next time, I'll just roll back to the older kernel.

If you have an Android phone, and that feature has not been removed from its ROM by your carrier, you SHOULD be able to 'tether' it to the PC for Internet access. I use this feature frequently when I'm out and about...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

[SOLVED]Re: Installing Updates
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 06:52:02 PM »

Kalifornia

Thanks for the help guys, but I got it working! I basically did a combination of what Shaggy and Goldy said, but this time I was connected to the Ethernet while I did it all. It took a few times, but after a reinstallation and several uninstalls and installs later, it's now up and running perfectly. Thanks to all you guys for helping out. I wouldn't have kept this up if it had been another distro; that's how much I dig LL so far.

Thanks again, and SOLVED. :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:24:26 PM by Kalifornia »

Re: Installing Updates
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 04:25:18 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello Kalifornia,

If you have not tried it previously. While you do have access, initially.

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install rfkill
Follow the instructions in above posts to install the correct driver, if your wifi becomes non-functioning -

rfkill list all
If the result says 'Soft blocked: yes"

rfkill unblock all
If the result says 'Hard blocked: yes" - please turn any wifi switch on your laptop on, that may have reset itself during install processes.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 05:01:42 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »

Kalifornia

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. My synaptic manager looked like the picture you posted. I went ahead and removed the cutter and firmware and reinstalled it from usb. Still nothing works. At this point, I have only a few options: try Lubuntu to see if I get the same results, buy a USB WiFi stick, use LL without updating it, or stick with XP on this com.

I sigh a little on the inside.

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 12:21:14 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
I'm not an expert on this, but seems that your system is ending up using the wrong driver after you install updates.  Since you can't use internet after you loose wireless, you can't get the right driver again.

Solution is to download the package(s) you need ahead of time to a USB stick so you have a way to restore the correct driver after the updates.  Hopefully, what I have outlined below will work.

Download b43-fwcutter from this page to a USB stick.  For 64-bit, click on "amd64".  For 32-bit, click on "i386".  Then just pick a download mirror close to you from list.

Download firmware-b43-installer from this page to a USB stick.  For 64-bit, click on "amd64".  For 32-bit, click on "i386".  Then just pick a download mirror close to you from list.

NOTE:  Assuming you are not connected to internet during instructions below, you will inevitably get warning/error messages during the procedure.  Close the warnings and ignore them -- just follow the instructions.

Boot into LL and open the Synaptic Package Manager (Menu -> System -> Install/Remove Software).  Enter "bcm" into the search box and look at the listed results.

If any of the ones shown in the red box (above) are indicated as installed (with a green check box next to there names), click their box(es) and mark them for "Complete Removal"; then hit "Apply".

If "b43-fwcutter" and/or "firmware-b43-installer" are listed and shown as installed (in addition to any of above), leave them there for now and restart the computer after the others have been deleted.  See if wifi works now.

If "b43-fwcutter" and/or "firmware-b43-installer" are the ONLY ones listed and shown as installed, then I'm not sure what problem is.  Try removing them, then reboot, then install from ones you downloaded to USB, reboot again.

If still not working, go back into Synaptic and delete the b43 packages.  Reboot again.  After reboot, plug in USB with your downloaded packages and install both.  (Not 100% sure if you need both, and not sure if order of install makes any difference.  If had to guess, I'd say install b43-fwcutter first.)  To install, right-click on them and choose "Open with GDebi Package Manager", then follow instructions.  (All dependencies needed by those packages should already be present on your system, so the installs should work with GDebi disconnected from internet.)

Reboot again and see if wireless working.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:26:47 PM by gold_finger »
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 11:31:56 AM »

Kalifornia

Any idea on what the problem could be why it changes drivers or whatever after updating and rebooting? I'm back in XP for the moment. I don't feel like reinstalling LL again to get the wireless to work. I also downloaded Lubuntu because I hear it doesn't have wireless problems after updating. I don't know how credible that is, but I'd rather stick with LL if possible. Here's the network info again after removing the kernal thing, installing the cutter, updating and rebooting. The modprobe stuff doesn't do anything.

*-network:0 UNCLAIMED   
       description: Network controller
       product: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
       vendor: Broadcom Corporation
       physical id: 3
       bus info: pci@0000:02:03.0
       version: 02
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       configuration: latency=64
       resources: memory:dfdfe000-dfdfffff
  *-network:1
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: 82562ET/EZ/GT/GZ - PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller Mobile
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 8
       bus info: pci@0000:02:08.0
       logical name: eth0
       version: 03
       serial: 00:12:3f:f7:43:ed
       size: 10Mbit/s
       capacity: 100Mbit/s
       capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e100 driverversion=3.5.24-k2-NAPI duplex=half latency=64 link=no maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
       resources: irq:20 memory:dfdfd000-dfdfdfff ioport:df40(size=64)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:33:41 AM by Kalifornia »

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 11:35:02 AM »

Kalifornia

Okay, so I ran the remove kernal thing and cutter install before doing updates. After rebooting, I had no Wi-Fi again. I tried the modprobe stuff too, but all it did was create a new line in the Terminal. Nothing happened. Here's the network output:

capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e100 driverversion=3.5.24-k2-NAPI duplex=half latency=64 link=no maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 12:55:15 PM by Kalifornia »

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 11:10:36 PM »

shaggytwodope

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Shaggy's Blog

• CPU: Intel i5 4440

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 4600
That error occurs when you have another program or process running thats using apt. Do so with synaptic closed, or any other update/package installer closed.
The Truth is out there.
Be sure to check the Manual out and always report Bugs or feature requests.

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 07:15:52 PM »

Kalifornia

umm, you ran updates BEFORE

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer b43-fwcutter

?
E: Unable to locate package firmware-b43-installer

That would be a big dumb yes, sir. I knew I was messing up something. I can always reinstall LL and try again.

After reinstalling, it says E: Unable to locate package firmware-b43-installer. I went into synaptic and it says I already have the fwcutter installed. I also chose a closer server and updated the repositories and when I try the b43 installer code, it says:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

So not sure what I should do as far as updating is concerned. Wireless works without updating.. sounds good to me.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 09:06:10 PM by Kalifornia »

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 07:06:07 PM »

shaggytwodope

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Shaggy's Blog

umm, you ran updates BEFORE

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer b43-fwcutter

?
The Truth is out there.

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 06:47:25 PM »

Kalifornia

Okay, so I had to dual boot back into XP to relay this info. I lost Wi-Fi after installing updates. I tried the sudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel-source, but it said I didn't have it to remove. I couldn't sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer b43-fwcutter because, well, I have no Internet to install anything from online.

I also tried the two sudo modprobe codes you gave me, but they did nothing. I read some of those Web pages but didn't know what I could do to fix anything. I also tried to do the Install Drivers thing, but every time I picked wireless and apply it, it would go back to Do not use this device. The configuration part this time looks really different than the original one I posted earlier. So, I copied the terminal code to LO and saved it to an external drive, uploaded it on Windows and here it is for anyone to help me :)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 06:51:16 PM by Kalifornia »

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 05:57:32 PM »

shaggytwodope

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Shaggy's Blog

The same logic applies to linux as with windows, security fixes and features are introduced in nearly all types of updates. It's by far ideal to always update. And as with windows, time to time with some hardware issues can arise. With any type of machine connected online.. I'd strongly suggest always updating.
The Truth is out there.

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 05:54:30 PM »

Kalifornia

No problem at all; I appreciate the help. Before I do any of this, can you tell me the harm in not installing updates? I know the harm in doing so on Windows but not Linux. I'm fairly new to it all really, as I only dabbled in Ubuntu 8.04 years back and recently Elementary Luna. I guess if the wireless fails to load, I can still access the LL Forum on my phone.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section