You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

upgrading kernel issues question

Author (Read 2603 times)

Re: upgrading kernel issues question
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 07:53:16 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
There. You heard it from the horses mouth.

Take your time. New languages are not learned overnight. Synaptic is probably where you saw all those kernels.
Learn the system 1st before tinkering. I am a tinkerer by nature. So I have no fear in my DNA. But I am not foolish
when I experiment either. I make backups of any root file or test file I edit.

In case something breaks. My signature kinda sorta alludes to that philosophy.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 03:37:28 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
There is no need to install additional kernels if you have a working system hardware wise. New kernels support new hardware generally speaking. If it ain't broke...

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 12:37:39 PM »

CaperAsh

• Occasional Poster
  • Retired
    • View Profile
THanks Rokytnji

I am still relative newbie to Linux and find it difficult to find anything with most search engines in the / or home areas ( I do know how to open them up as admin / show hidden files etc.).

WHere are the kernels? Last week when I had memory problem with Elementary (filled the 20 GB partition just with system files, the Home folder being on another partition), I found a file with about 20 kernels in them but I have been unable to find it today.

Because before experimenting with a new kernel - if I do - I better know where they all are or how to find them first.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 12:24:23 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Only advise I have. Keep a good working one as backup. Some of the kernels I tested for Valtam did not support
my card reader on a certain laptop (Compaq CQ).

These things happen though depending on hard ware. I have experience testing kernels for developers and
even on this little netbook I am posting from. I had issues with a 3.17 kernel and the internal usb wifi chip
this netbook uses.

But because I keep a good backup working kernel image and header. I can boot into that and uninstall the one
I installed giving problems. So do not uninstall any good working kernels till you are positively sure the new one
is working out OK for you on yiour hardware.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

upgrading kernel issues question
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 12:13:48 PM »

CaperAsh

• Occasional Poster
  • Retired
    • View Profile
After reading Linux Lite kernel post, I began to wonder about the pros and cons of upgrading kernel. Some comments in that thread expressed pleasure in improved performance with 3.15 (the general one, not the LL one), and now I gather there is 3.18 available. Before experimenting I would like to learn the pros and cons of doing such a thing.

Any advice, or is there a basic policy for LL2 which is taking care of that sort of thing automatically with the updates routines?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section