You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

[Closed due to errror] Is it safe to install Perl 5.8

Author (Read 4495 times)

Re: [Closed due to errror] Is it safe to install Perl 5.8
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 02:31:09 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

You're welcome. I haven't heard The Bat! mentioned in a long time.

I just saw a comparison with Thunderbird, and it seems like that what one does, the other won't, and vice versa. You definitely don't want to run an AV plugin that proves to be that inefficient.

There are a number of other free AV options for Linux out there. Perhaps one of them will prove itself to be more Bat-friendly...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 04:16:41 PM »

Alan_uk

Hi Rob

I have installed ClamAV and it runs fine except 1 key problem. On Windows I'm using The Bat! plain text email s/w and have 10,000s of emails that I need to bring to Linux. But there is no version for Windows. I installed it under Wine and then installed a plugin called TBClamWin that calls ClamWin to scan each email or attachment.

First it's slow as each email/attachment seems to cause ClamWin to reload the ClamAV database which takes quite a few seconds. Second, it's not picking up a test virus. ClamAV picks them up on a scan but not when called by the plugin for an individual file. Maybe the way the file is passed or the way the return code is passed back. Unfortunately the plugin has not been developed since 2007.

I've read the arguments about the much lower risk with Linux but most of the people I deal with are Windows users and I don't want to loose reputation by passing on a virus, especially as I urge them to ensure their virus protection is up-to-date.

Hence now looking at Sophos and my other post about not quite meeting the Linux kernal requirements of Sophos
https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=225.0

Thank you for your help and advice.

Alan

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 02:17:24 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

Quite all right. Just 'keeping it real'.

When it comes to AV for Linux, no one needs to BUY one. Won't say Linux is virus-proof (is ANYTHING?), but your chances of running across Linux malware are very, very slim.

With that said, ClamAV does a super job of finding and removing malware for free - which you only need worry about when dealing with Windows flash drives and partitions. It installs into the Accessories menu folder, and takes about 18 MB of drive space.

sudo apt-get install clamav clamtk

or you can skip clamtk in the terminal and get the LATEST ClamTk here (select 'Ubuntu 12:xx Legacy .DEB')

http://code.google.com/p/clamtk/

To update ClamAV signatures:

sudo freshclam

The ClamTk website suggests a couple of ways to set things up to periodically check for updates on its own.

Be it Windows or Linux, I don't believe in paying for AV when the free ones work just as well...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 02:52:41 AM by N4RPS »

Re: Is it safe to install Perl 5.8
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 12:41:50 PM »

Alan_uk

Hi Rob
Would going from 5.14 to 5.8 be a DOWNGRADE?

Good question given what I wrote. I can't think why I wrote that :( -maybe been burning the midnight oil too much. Or maybe I read 5.1.4 - I'm really struggling with this screen - see another post.

Yes, I would imagine the software was backward compatible and it wouldn't be wise to downgrade.

On further research I've now decided not to use the package. It's an anti-virus package, F-Prot that I've using on Windows for 10 or so years. They have a Linux version which for some reason is free. But I've now found it's a passive on-demand scanner and not active. Their full blown Linux package is very expensive compared to the Windows package which comes in upto 5 PCs.

I'm now looking at Sophos and will post another question, also one on dependency - try to get it right this time ;)

Thank you for answering, sorry for wasting any of your time.

Alan

Re: Is it safe to install Perl 5.8
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 01:51:53 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

Welcome to Linux Lite.

I have three questions:

1. Would going from 5.14 to 5.8 be a DOWNGRADE?

2. is Perl 5.14-x not backward-compatible with Perl 5.8 apps?

3. Won't downgrading Perl potentially break other LL apps that may require Perl 5.14 as a dependency?

Just curious...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

[Closed due to errror] Is it safe to install Perl 5.8
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 04:15:59 PM »

Alan_uk

I'm looking at installing a package that has a dependency on Perl 5.8. Linux Lite has Perl 5.14.2-6ubuntu2.4. Are there likely to be any issues in upgrading to 5.8 (perl-base, perl-modules and perl-doc)?

Many thanks

Alan
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:42:33 PM by Alan_uk »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section