Software - Support > Installing Software

[CLOSED]Software Update - Now Missing From Menu

(1/2) > >>

Wirezfree:
Hi,

When I 1st installed I'm sure there was the Software Update item in the Menu below run program..?
Actually looking at the on-line manual, that shows "Install Updates" & "Help Manual"
It seems to have disappeared.? I have "Web Browser" & "Mail Reader"

I have done no edits to menu, only changed clock to 24hr mode, and added date.
What did it point at(file) maybe I can re-create/add it back.?

UPDATE: #1
It appears(I think) that the "Names" (Descriptions) changed..??

The item that says "Mail Reader" is pointing at:

--- Code: ---xdg-open /usr/share/doc/xfce4-utils/html/C/index.html

--- End code ---
The item that says "Web Browser" is pointing at:

--- Code: ---lxterminal --geometry=95x25 -e ./updates

--- End code ---
Working Directory = /usr/scripts

So I could change the "Names" , But why did they change..??

UPDATE: #2
After another test, in Virtualbox, It appears changing Locale from US to GB causes the change

Thanks ... Dave

Jerry:
That usually only occurs when someone clicks on the 'Revert' button in Settings > Main Menu. This is irreparable, but I would still like to see a screenshot of your Menu.

Wirezfree:

--- Quote from: Valtam on April 01, 2014, 12:53:29 AM ---That usually only occurs when someone clicks on the 'Revert' button in Settings > Main Menu. This is irreparable, but I would still like to see a screenshot of your Menu.

--- End quote ---

Hi Valtam,
Not at that PC at present, I'm absolutely positive I did not press Revert.
If it is irreparable,
I will just re-install before I go any further,
Just in case there is anything else I've not spotted yet.

Thanks... David

Wirezfree:
Hello Valtam,

I did a re-install to see if I could re-create the issue...
trying to note each change/step, and checking the menu.
It appears that either changing the:
> Time indicator in the task bar from Time am/pm to Time(24hr mode) and Date mode
or
> Changing Language to UK English in Language settings

causes my issue.



But I now have a bigger issue, Did not occur on previous installs, an error when trying to copy files to network locations NAS or PC.
I have setup exactly like my previous 20+ installs and never had an issue, googling this seem to indicate this "was" a bug some time ago.



So I will do another install.
Next time I will live with menu change,
they actually work, it's only the name that changes.

Thanks... David



gold_finger:
Wirezfree,

There was another user on here who experienced strange problems when changing to UK English from US English, so that is probably the culprit for you too.  (No idea why or how to fix it.)

As for the Samba problem, I don't use that so don't know; but it may be possible that it's having problems with that screenshot, timestamped filename.  Noticed it has a couple of colons (":") in the name.  Maybe those are causing the problem.  Try re-naming the screenshot file(s) and see if problem goes away.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version