You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Why Linux Lite site do not recommend using unetbootin? win32diskimager dont work

Author (Read 10199 times)

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Agree with the wording, this sentence was removed in the LL 2.0 Manual and I've just removed it in the 1.0.8 Manual and below.

@Valtam
Unetbootin is one of those applications that sometimes (for me) requires a gksu-properties change - change authentication mode to sudo. Maybe this should be mentioned in the manual for this app specifically and/or as a general troubleshooting step for all apps?

@PureApeshit
If you run Unetbootin and it keeps asking for a password in a loop (ie doesn't accept anything), do this:
1. open a terminal window and type
Code: [Select]
gksu-properties2. verify authentication mode = sudo
3. close window

PureApeshit

Feel free to use Unetbootin if you like.  Wording on that page is a bit harsh.  Basically the "recommended" method has been found to produce more consistent results.  Sometimes Unetbootin can be picky on certain machines and/or on certain USB sticks; but it does work most of the time.  Which ever method you choose, just format the USB as FAT32 ahead of time.  If USB's end up being problematic in general, try burning a DVD.

Also, make sure to confirm that the md5sum of your downloaded ISO file matches the one shown on the download page.

iv found this reason on arch linux page - "Warning: UNetbootin writes over the default syslinux.cfg; this must be restored before the USB device will boot properly."

im trying to install on notebook without cd or dvd device so USB is my only option.

i just will use universal USB installer and gonna rock the linux world :D even now i got interested into arch linux hahaha, i want be system god! :D:D:D:D

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Agree with the wording, this sentence was removed in the LL 2.0 Manual and I've just removed it in the 1.0.8 Manual and below.

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Feel free to use Unetbootin if you like.  Wording on that page is a bit harsh.  Basically the "recommended" method has been found to produce more consistent results.  Sometimes Unetbootin can be picky on certain machines and/or on certain USB sticks; but it does work most of the time.  Which ever method you choose, just format the USB as FAT32 ahead of time.  If USB's end up being problematic in general, try burning a DVD.

Also, make sure to confirm that the md5sum of your downloaded ISO file matches the one shown on the download page.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

PureApeshit

I am trying to make bootable USB, i used the recommended win32diskimager and it does not work(writes the iso to usb, but it does not function and if i try to enter it on winXP says it is not formated)

I now want to use unetbootin as in past i had no problems with it using with ubuntu, but it really puzzles me why on Linux Lite installation guide it says:

"We do not recommend the use of Unetbootin on any operating system."

????żżżż plz answer meeee :D

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section