You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Fresh install of Linux Lite shows stock XFCE desktop

Author (Read 5552 times)

Re: Fresh install of Linux Lite shows stock XFCE desktop
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 04:13:10 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
UEFI install guide in the Help Manual?

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 11:38:00 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

OK I would like to THANK all of you who replied with helpful tips. Here's the rundown of what I did:

1. downloaded iso from linuxliteos.com website
2. checked the md5sum and it is correct
3. created usb stick with the iso
4. ran the live system - loved it - decided to install it
5. Ran the default installer from the live iso and at partitions level (which I have done hundreds of times before so I thought I had got it, always choose "Something else" and attach my home dir to /home, and format /) it said I needed an EFI partition, but there were none to choose from the available options. This gave me a head scratch (or two) and after a while I rebooted, disabled UEFI, booted again and proceeded with the installation of Linux Lite. Again at partitions level it said I needed a min 2MB boot partition (?? I never ever had to do that with other distros) so I created it. I unchecked "download updates during installation" and only checked "install third party software".
6. There are no other operating systems on this laptop. Before I had Fedora and then Linux Mint installed here, no problems whatsoever. I am attaching a sys report below.
7. Everything seemed to install without any problems. First clean boot and I see a stock XFCE desktop... Nooooooooo!  :019:

My partitions are the following:
https://ibb.co/yPcRh7R

My only guess is that something went wrong at the partitions level, but I have no clue, really. I am willing to reinstall, I guess my emotions were running high in my first post (sorry). Could you please help me figure out what went wrong and how I could fix it. THANK YOU so much for your effort, I really appreciate it.

I think your best bet is reinstalling to make sure everything works as expected. Boot in UEFI mode and when asked for an efi partition just create one with 100mb in size, and the mountpoint should be /boot/efi. Don't mount your /home but let the installer create one for you. You can always migrate your old home to the new one, just avoid those files referring to the desktop and just copy your personal settings such as email accounts, .mozilla, .bashrc, and from .local just copy those folders and files referring to your apps but not the desktop; don't copy the whole directory over your new home.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 11:11:57 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@Tan Aid
I 2nd that of @Artim

Like I eluded to in 3a of my above post; something in /home has pooched ya... If you show hidden files - likely one of the many dot files (.file)...

If you want to preserve a filesystem, I would suggest a /data or some other. You can have /home build onto "/" vs having it separate, then shortcut/link from /data to /home for directories you want. Let most OS configs reside in/home, if you want these can copied to /data later or as needed and if you should change distros or when you upgrade to the next LL series you won't have the possibility of this reoccurring....
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 04:05:02 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

Something in your preserved /home partition is messing it up. Preserving /home between distros is never clean and tidy, since it preserved settings and all kinds of other things. Save your important stuff to a USB stick and re-install formatting the /home partition. When I installed Linux Lite over SalixOS (Slackware-based, Xfce desktop) I saved my /home partition and messed up the desktop. There's a lot more stuff in that partition than most people realize. Not just bookmarks and passwords, docs, pics, and tunes.

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 11:01:14 AM »

Tan Aid

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
OK I would like to THANK all of you who replied with helpful tips. Here's the rundown of what I did:

1. downloaded iso from linuxliteos.com website
2. checked the md5sum and it is correct
3. created usb stick with the iso
4. ran the live system - loved it - decided to install it
5. Ran the default installer from the live iso and at partitions level (which I have done hundreds of times before so I thought I had got it, always choose "Something else" and attach my home dir to /home, and format /) it said I needed an EFI partition, but there were none to choose from the available options. This gave me a head scratch (or two) and after a while I rebooted, disabled UEFI, booted again and proceeded with the installation of Linux Lite. Again at partitions level it said I needed a min 2MB boot partition (?? I never ever had to do that with other distros) so I created it. I unchecked "download updates during installation" and only checked "install third party software".
6. There are no other operating systems on this laptop. Before I had Fedora and then Linux Mint installed here, no problems whatsoever. I am attaching a sys report below.
7. Everything seemed to install without any problems. First clean boot and I see a stock XFCE desktop... Nooooooooo!  :019:

My partitions are the following:
https://ibb.co/yPcRh7R

My only guess is that something went wrong at the partitions level, but I have no clue, really. I am willing to reinstall, I guess my emotions were running high in my first post (sorry). Could you please help me figure out what went wrong and how I could fix it. THANK YOU so much for your effort, I really appreciate it.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 11:05:33 AM by Tan Aid »

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 08:11:47 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Also, downloading updates during installation is often problematic. Wait 'til it's installed and booted from the hard drive.

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 02:40:09 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@Tan Aid

I agree with others..
1) Where did you download from?
   a) Check MD5 perhaps not a complete download
2) What do your partitions look like
3) How did you install - the process, options/prompts
   a) Where there other OS's installed - did you reuse /home or other config settings...
4) System specs, what hardware are you running.

Why do you NOT want to reinstall?
LL installs in no time and is simple in the process - did you have problems installing - is there configs you want to keep???

Answering the above will help with troubleshooting/validating along with any other info you can provide...

For myself, I would download from LL and confirm the hash..
Then reinstall - If you are trying to reuse partitions, I would suggest otherwise. Copy those off or rename to something like DATA where its not "/home" or other directly in use Linux directories.
You may be using configurations for a different desktop/OS or just something LL doesn't recognize.

Good Luck
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 08:10:04 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
I agree with Artim and would add that I have had this problem in the past when an installation/computer bugged (not just Linux Lite) and did not complete successfully or the XFCE crashed or when I tried installing other desktop environnements on test machines.

You could also not "check" the box to download updates/third party apps during install.
ADD: Also leave the default language during install, just in case.
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 05:59:27 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Where did you get your copy of Linux Lite? If it's from Softpedia or one of those 2nd-hand vendors you may have a copy of something else. The only answer I know if to follow the links here on this site (there's one in Jerry signature) to download your copy of the iso. There are pretenders and counterfeits out there. There's no need to run to another distro because one bogus download disappointed you. As a 16-year Linux user you probably know that... check the iso, and install it from a Live session.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 08:51:00 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Images are embedded so that people can see them straight away, zip files, txt files are attached. What is your partition set up? eg. Where is your home folder and all other partitions mounted. Title changed to more accurately reflect issue.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 12:53:28 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

That is weird indeed, never ever happened to me with Lite, and I've no idea how to solve that, sorry. Regarding the ads, you need to install an ad blocker extension like uBlock Origin in FF. As for attaching screenshots, you can include images in your post by using BBcode,  just click on the img icon

You'll see [ img ][ /img ] insert the URL of the service you uploaded the img to in between, and it will be visible in the post.

Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

Fresh install of Linux Lite shows stock XFCE desktop
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 09:47:36 AM »

Tan Aid

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Hello,

I have just installed a FRESH copy of Linux Lite 5.4 on my laptop. I loved the live USB system so decided to give it a go.

To my dismay this is what I booted into on my first boot (see attached pictures). What is this? I don't remember being asked for a raw Xfce desktop with nothing there. How can I fix this without reinstalling again? If this can't be fixed, Linux Lite is useless for me and I will need to look for another distro. What about those google ads in Firefox that cannot be closed? This surely is weird.

I'm a 16 year + Linux user and never in my life have I had something like that happen on a fresh installation. Can anyone offer suggestions on what went wrong? Thanks.

I can't even attach a photo in this forum. :(

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 11:17:00 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section