You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Using an sblive USB

Author (Read 13283 times)

Re: Using a sblive USB
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 08:20:12 AM »

Mart

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Celeron(R) Dual-Core CPU T3000 @ 1.80GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
You're welcome. :)

Happy to help.
Still running 3.8 and lovin' it  (running 5.0 as a triple boot)

Re: Using an sblive USB
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 06:27:32 AM »

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
Perfect, it worked. I realized my mistake/misunderstanding earlier. I had not opened the /home file as administrator.

The screen shots helped along with your explanation. All has been deleted.

Thanks so much.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 08:37:45 PM »

Mart

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi JanetBiggar

Yes, you are correct, the files you want to delete are next to the Systemback folder not contained within the folder.

Sorry for the slight mistake as I was writing my original post and instructions to you from memory.

But the principle is still the same. Did you open the home (/home/) folder, where the Systemback files reside, in root?

Also, you cannot drag the files to the trash can to delete them, even when the files become accessible in root. You must delete them directly by right-clicking on them.

Just to check that my previous instructions to you worked, I created my own Systemback live system and deleted the iso and sblive files it created after opening the /home/ folder in root.

Here are the screenshots to show that the process I explained works -

Again, don't forget to close the root folder upon completion.

I hope you have success this time.

Good luck!

Mart

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:07:29 PM by Mart »

Re: Using an sblive USB
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 04:15:44 PM »

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
So I finally had a chance to try what Mart suggested - I have only tried to delete the two files (the ISO and the systemback sblive as they take up too much space on the 16 GB HD of this chromebook. (I will read up in the manual about using an sblive later).

I took screen shots and hope I saved them to the correct place for the forum to view them...

Anyway, the ISO and sblive are NOT inside the systemback folder, but beside it.  I tried dragging them to the trash but get the denied permission message and when I right click on either of them trashing or deleting them is not an option.

Is there any way I can remove them so as to free up the 1.6 GB that each of them is using other than reinstalling LL 3.8?

Here are the links to the screen shots:

http://i.imgur.com/YEvtG2E.png

http://i.imgur.com/SDVhtOn12.png

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 12:28:24 PM »

Mart

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi JanetBiggar

To answer your first question -

Right-click on the Systemback folder and click ‘Open as Administrator’. Enter your password and the Systemback folder will open as root. Then right-click on the file you want to remove and then click ‘Delete’  Make sure you close the root folder afterwards.

As for Chromebook computers, I know nothing about them.

However, if you are saying that you have upgraded to LL 3.8 and you want to install a Systemback copy of LL 3.8 onto another computer, the following YouTube video may help -

Just a few things to say about the video tutorial, only create a boot partition if it applies to the computer you are installing to.

Other than that, you normally only need to create a root and swap partition as per a normal installation - adding a home partition is of course optional to you.

Place the boot loader on the drive that you are installing to (normally sda), but if you are dual-booting place the boot loader onto the root partition of the Systemback install you are creating and dual-booting.

The video explains the rest…

One final point, the LL 3 x Series Help Manual has a tutorial on how to prepare to install a Systemback copy of your system. It advises creating the live system for installation by using an ISO file and not directly using the sblive file. Just something to consider before deleting any files from your Systemback folder.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:43:42 PM by Mart »

Using an sblive USB
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 01:22:38 PM »

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
I’ve used systemback to create a sblive USB for a chromebook I converted as I thought this would be a good choice rather than taking up some of the very limited space creating a restore point on this ex-chromebook (16 GB SSD).

After doing so I have a few questions:
1) first off when I created it I first clicked on convert to ISO and now I have a file in my /home folder that is an ISO that apparently I could burn to a CD/DVD. Since this was a mistake I wanted to delete/trash this ISO, however it will not permit me to do so...says I’m lacking permission.

Any idea how I can get rid of this file?

2) I then properly created a live USB of the system and from seeing other posts I believe I can use this USB to load LL 3.8 on to a different computer.  What I was wondering is if there is a link providing me with a step by step (detailed please) of what I need to do when I boot from this USB on a new computer where I want to install LL 3.8?

I did fire it up this live USB once on the chromebook when I had to reinstall the chrome OS in order to set the SeaBIOS as default, but very early in the process it started asking something I didn’t understand so I bailed and went back to my LL 3.2 live USB, updated then upgraded back to 3.8

This latter step wasn’t too long, but it seems perhaps using the sblive USB might be quicker...

Can anyone suggest the steps or send me a link to do so as I have been unable to find detailed steps.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:28:26 AM by JanetBiggar »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section