You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

USB with LL 3.8 not booting properly on Acer Chromebook C731

Author (Read 4907 times)

Re: USB with LL 3.8 not booting properly on Acer Chromebook C731
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 08:07:05 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
Well at least you made progress and found what you were looking for :)

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 09:32:34 AM »

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
So, I re-read my suggested steps above and almost went ahead with it, then decided to do a bit more exploring at the MrChromebox.tech site.  I found this info in the FAQ area:

Q: I flashed the firmware and need to install an OS, but my USB drive isn't detected/isn't booting - what now?
A: If you are having problems with USB drives not detecting:
    Make sure you created the USB install media correctly:
Be sure to use a 64-bit OS; on the Windows side, use Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 -- Windows 7 will not work; 32-bit anything (Windows or Linux) will not work (the UEFI firmware is 64-bit only)

So although I had NOT gone ahead and installed the Full ROM I decided that maybe I should try an ISO USB of LL 4.0 and presto it worked!

The only thing (which it warns you about) is that the keyboard won't work which it didn't.  On top of this like a previous Chromebook (HP though) the cursor does not work AND it appears that I would also need to use an Audio USB as I cannot get sound. 

So in light of all the above (needing 3 USB ports) merely to use the Chromebook if running Linux Lite and then also needing a 4th USB port with my study material because of the small HD I have elected to use it with the Chrome OS on it so as to be able to access the study material off a USB and retain full functionality (keyboard, trackpad and audio).

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 04:33:38 PM »

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
Ok so I have done some digging and would appreciate if someone more computer literate than myself might comment.

So first I reverted the gbb flags (as I had done this manually and thought maybe something didn't go right) and decided to see if it would boot from the USB by pressing Ctrl-L which always worked on PREVIOUS Chromebooks that I converted to LL.  Well it still does NOT boot from the USB despite going into Legacy mode/SeaBIOS allowing me to press ESC to enter boot menu, showing the USB choice I still get the same thing occurring as in the photos.

I then started looking at various sections on the MrChromebox.tech site and saw this under the section “Alternative OSes”:

Standalone Linux
On most Chromebooks, you can simply boot a Linux ISO via the stock firmware's Legacy Boot mode and install like you would on any other PC. When installing Linux via ISO in conjunction with the stock firmware + Legacy Boot Mode, there are sometimes issues booting the install media due to bootloader conflicts (e.g., Syslinux) or setting the graphics mode (GRUB/Ubuntu 16.10). Because of this, most devices will benefit from running the latest UEFI Full ROM firmware, which should be flashed prior to OS install when running Linux and not dual booting w/ChromeOS.

While I read/know Linux Lite does NOT support UEFI, per #3 in the section/tab “Firmware Utility Script” I wonder IF the proper steps I should be doing are:

1) install/update RW_Legacy/SeaBIOS (which I have already performed via MrChromebox.
2) reset my gbb flags again (as I reverted them back) and this time use MrChromebox.
3) THEN install/update Custom coreboot Firmware (Full ROM) as it says in this section: “As this is a full replacement firmware, the script will offer users the option to back up their stock firmware on USB. Chromebox users have the option of a Legacy Boot or UEFI compatible firmware. When the Legacy Boot option is selected, users will have the option to set the default boot device (internal storage [default] or USB/SD)” (PS- I know my Acer is a Braswell device which supports this Full ROM firmware and it sounds like I will still be able to choose Legacy boot..?  I'm kinda interpreting that doing the Full ROM thing will permit booting from the USB...).

I'm itching to try the above, however felt I should get some opinions first...

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 07:59:59 AM »

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
Here are photos of what I am seeing on the screen when I put in the LL USB and select it to boot. Hopefully the imgur link here works if I did it right:

http://imgur.com/a/x3rjjMo

Although it looks like the album is showing them backwards - the LL loading menu should be first, then the screen with just a bit of script, then feather, then full page of script then flashing dash.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 10:33:15 PM »

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
Thanks for your reply Firenice03,
Early on in the process when I realized it didn’t have legacy boot I did download and install it from MrChomebox per the instructions so seaBIOS/Legacy boot does work. I got a photo of the screen when it attempts bit fails to boot the LL USB which I will try to post tomorrow as maybe it will give someone more info to point me in the right direction.

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 06:58:30 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
A couple quick searches.... May need the CB's firmware upgraded???

https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility

Which will link you to here: https://wiki.galliumos.org/Support/Braswell

I'd start with the above still a fairly new system..
Good Luck

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

USB with LL 3.8 not booting properly on Acer Chromebook C731
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 02:07:10 PM »

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
A friend donated a new Acer C731 chromebook to me to use with the youth I help in South Africa. Since we do not often have internet access I am wanting to convert it to run Linux Lite 3.8 like I have two other Chromebook, however I am battling to do so!

I have successfully loaded SeaBIOS (legacy boot) and set the gbb flags. OS verification is OFF and I have enabled USB booting.

However, when I put in my USB stick the boot menu gives me the option to boot from the USB, I choose it, the USB light flashes, a small Linux lite menu shows in the upper right corner (although the countdown to automatically launching does not countdown), I can choose run Linux lite, the LL feather logo comes up (to fill the screen) then after several seconds a black screen with some script shows for a very short period (I haven't yet been able to get a photo of what this script says, but will try) then it goes black and shows a flashing "-" and the light on the USB goes out. Nothing happens after that.

I have usb boot enabled on it as well "OS verification OFF".  This same USB works when I put it in one of the other chrome books to confirm it works.

Any ideas of what I can do to get this Acer to allow the USB to boot so that I can load and then install LL if all is fine?

Thanks in advance, Janet
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:33:03 AM by JanetBiggar »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section