You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Encrypt home folder

Author (Read 7424 times)

Re: Encrypt home folder
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 12:09:46 PM »

Sprintrdriver

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite on Dell Lattude D620
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 T5500

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express
. . . .Why would anyone encrypt just their home folder? They've simply omitted an extra unnecessary step.

I have a very practical case/reason for that.

I have this situation where I have two separate users. The two users should NOT be able to see each other files (even using a Live-CD session when always admin). At the same time, there are files that both users should have full access to - located on another partition not encrypted.

In that case - the use of encrypted home folder is very usefull.

Btw - the best practice (least amounts of steps to create a user with encrypted home dir) is to plan the installation in such a way that there is no need to have first user being using an encrypted home dir.

And the most efficient method to create a user profile with encrypted home folder is probably using Terminal:
Code: [Select]
~$ sudo adduser --encrypt-home put-username-here
~$ passwd put-username-here
I won't let an old, but fully functional computer die just because some company tell me that they won't make no more security updates to their OS. Thanks Linux :)

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 08:53:50 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Ubuntu still allows encryption during the installation wizard, but it's encryption for the entire install. Makes sense if you think about it. Why would anyone encrypt just their home folder? They've simply omitted an extra unnecessary step.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 08:36:59 AM »

Sprintrdriver

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile

Well - before Ubuntu dumped it, I had at least two computers I was installing Linux onto where I experienced the installation was freezing up on me. In both cases it turned out to be the choice "encrypt home" that had to be disabled in order to proceed.

But - Ubuntu also removed the ability to create new users afterwards with encrypded home folder.
I won't let an old, but fully functional computer die just because some company tell me that they won't make no more security updates to their OS. Thanks Linux :)

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 03:33:37 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

FYI Ubuntu dumped this feature in the installer for series 18.04

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 03:02:11 PM »

Sprintrdriver

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile

This is the instruction I followed after installing LL 4.2 to get Home dir encrypted:
https://www.howtogeek.com/116032/how-to-encrypt-your-home-folder-after-installing-ubuntu/

If I remember it correctly, ecryptfs-utils is already installed with LL.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 11:12:32 PM »

mountainhick

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
@mountainhick ,

No.  That is a feature to encrypt the entire Linux Lite installation, similar to full disk encryption.  You'll have a password/key to enter before getting to the operating system to log in to the desktop.

Maybe encrypt home folder during the install was removed as a feature during installation because it caused problems like this one:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/installing-linux-lite/linux-lite-install-stalls-on-creating-user/msg37422/#msg37422

I do believe there is a way to encrypt the home folder post installation.  But I admit I'm having some time finding that in the Help Manual.  Previously, it was suggested if you encrypted the home folder to do so after installing Linux Lite.  I encrypt the entire installation, but if you share the PC with other users, I can see why you might want to allow each user to have their home folder encrypted.

Thanks for the response, That's what I expected. I don't have the expertise to encrypt post install so no Lite I guess.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 08:54:52 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

@mountainhick ,

No.  That is a feature to encrypt the entire Linux Lite installation, similar to full disk encryption.  You'll have a password/key to enter before getting to the operating system to log in to the desktop.

Maybe encrypt home folder during the install was removed as a feature during installation because it caused problems like this one:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/installing-linux-lite/linux-lite-install-stalls-on-creating-user/msg37422/#msg37422

I do believe there is a way to encrypt the home folder post installation.  But I admit I'm having some time finding that in the Help Manual.  Previously, it was suggested if you encrypted the home folder to do so after installing Linux Lite.  I encrypt the entire installation, but if you share the PC with other users, I can see why you might want to allow each user to have their home folder encrypted. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 09:08:20 PM by torreydale »
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Encrypt home folder
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 11:55:53 AM »

mountainhick

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I am used to other distros with installation option "encrypt home folder" on installation. Is this the same or different from "Encrypt the new Linux installation for security" with LL?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section