You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

upgrade path from 3.6 ?

Author (Read 2119 times)

Re: upgrade path from 3.6 ?
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 03:51:36 PM »

hughparker1

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T6670 @ 2.20GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Dell)
I would like to upgrade to the latest version of Linux Lite 5.4
I remember a while ago, that someone said that there is no upgrade path from my current version 3.6.  I that still the case?

2. You can try and save your Dropbox settings, these are located in a hidden .dropbox folder in /home, find that folder, select it, right-click on it and from the context menu select compress or some similar wording, save the compressed file to a different location, i.e. a USB stick, that way when you install it again in LL 5.4, you just need to extract it in your new /home and it will use those same settings. However,  read here https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder

UPDATE:  I created archive for the hidden .dropbox folder, I also created archive for contents of my Dropbox folder.  (sorry, I didn't read you instructions correctly)

then I installed Dropbox, quit Dropbox, then restored both archives to my home directory then reboot and right click Dropbox icon in system tray and select login.  browser opens and enter Dropbox email address and password.    After two factor authentication on mobile, Dropbox sync starts.

Dropbox sync completed OK.  the Dropbox contents all look GOOD! 

EDIT1: even some new docs that I added to Dropbox since I created the archive were added during the sync process.

NOTE:  I don't think I needed to restore the contents of Dropbox folder, perhaps Dropbox would just restore automatically?  Not sure though.  EDIT2: But is seems to have done no harm.

Many thanks for your help @Moltke everything worked out perfectly.   your help is much appreciated
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 03:55:50 PM by hughparker1 »

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 02:49:23 PM »

hughparker1

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I remember a while ago, that someone said that there is no upgrade path from my current version 3.6.  I that still the case?

If I need to do a clean install, is there a way to keep my free Dropbox installation without having to reinstall Dropbox, as I would need to upgrade my Dropbox account.  I currently only have a free basic Dropbox account which means I can I can only sign into max of three devices at a time (new rules introduced 2019).

Unfortunately I don't have home on a separate partition.  So I believe that is a major problem.  I just wondered is there a workaround to avoid new Dropbox installation?

1. Yes, there's no path to upgrade between  versions, so you'll have to do a clean install.
2. You can try and save your Dropbox settings, these are located in a hidden .dropbox folder in /home, find that folder, select it, right-click on it and from the context menu select compress or some similar wording, save the compressed file to a different location, i.e. a USB stick, that way when you install it again in LL 5.4, you just need to extract it in your new /home and it will use those same settings. However,  read here https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder

I will bit the bullet and hopefully I get a good result.  I'll come back later this week once I get a chance to try this. Cheers. Thanks for your advice,

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 07:57:37 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x

If I need to do a clean install, is there a way to keep my free Dropbox installation without having to reinstall Dropbox, as I would need to upgrade my Dropbox account.  I currently only have a free basic Dropbox account which means I can I can only sign into max of three devices at a time (new rules introduced 2019).

Unfortunately I don't have home on a separate partition.  So I believe that is a major problem.  I just wondered is there a workaround to avoid new Dropbox installation?

1. Yes, there's no path to upgrade between  versions, so you'll have to do a clean install.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

upgrade path from 3.6 ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 07:27:55 PM »

hughparker1

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 06:10:46 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section