You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

uninstalling linux lite from terminal

Author (Read 10647 times)

Re: uninstalling linux lite from terminal
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2022, 06:28:12 AM »

sungurvid

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: intel i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia

• Kernel: 5.x
If you want to remove it completely, you can use apt purge command. You can use it instead of apt remove command or after running the apt remove command. Keep in mind that the purge command won't remove any data or configuration file stored in the home directory of a user.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 07:39:36 AM »

ashwinjio

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 2Gb
You can't uninstall but you can install another os over it and it will overwrite the existing old oS. To delete the OS from HDD, you can use something like dban.org

jiofi.local.html

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 07:42:44 AM »

takefive

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: intel i7

• MEMORY: 24Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia
To remove a PPA, select the ones you want to remove and click on Remove. sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:owner/ppa Optionally, you can delete the  bitlife pc jiofi.local.html
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 04:30:38 AM by takefive »

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 04:27:04 PM »

coyotl

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Nice opportunity to learn how to partition a hard drive!
Make yourself a Gparted CD, start from that, partition HD for windows and linux. Linux does not need a lot and can run from partitions at the end of the disk - XP must be installed and run from first partition.

Or run gparted from a ubuntu install cd.

run both windoze and linux..

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 10:16:48 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

I changed the boot priority in Bios but it just seems to default to linux every time or that grub menu.

Hmmm... What options are available in boot priority? There should be 3 at least; internal HDD, USB and network. Is it UEFI or Legacy BIOS? Did you choose USB? What option did you choose? If UEFI, you have to change the UEFI boot order too, it probably is set to boot from internal HDD so change it to boot from USB/CD-ROM drive.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 01:33:28 AM »

Kevin Hansen

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
I changed the boot priority in Bios but it just seems to default to linux every time or that grub menu.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 11:06:40 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@Kevin Hansen
Depending on the application ... You could try WINE in LL, or run WinXP as a VM in VirtualBox...
Remember XP is outdated - no updates - no security....

Else ditto what @Moltke suggests
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 10:48:19 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Say I want to install windows xp over Linux lite for the simple reason that I cannot run a certain outdated program on anything but XP. I've tried to install it with the disc but it just goes to grub or something. How can I get it to install over Linux Lite? Thanks again.

You need to change the boot priority in BIOS settings, right now is booting from the HDD, where Linux Lite's installed, look for the option, so it boots from the
CD-ROM drive.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 10:00:05 PM »

Kevin Hansen

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Say I want to install windows xp over Linux lite for the simple reason that I cannot run a certain outdated program on anything but XP. I've tried to install it with the disc but it just goes to grub or something. How can I get it to install over Linux Lite? Thanks again.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 11:35:17 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@Kevin Hansen
Ditto what @Moltke suggests...

But you CAN also use the a LL liveusb (where you burned the ISO to a usb" boot to it and use gparted in the same manner...

OR reinstalling LL choosing the same partitions or formatting will overwrite the current install.

Kinda curious as to results your wanting?? formatting is erasing/prepping the disk - but not completely wiping it, lets say to get rid of all data in order to sell/give away the hard disk...

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 07:26:45 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi,
 I need to uninstall linux lite from my hard drive but haven't had any luck so far. It is the only operating system on this HD. I have tried virtually everything but nothing seems to work. Is there anyone that could possibly help me uninstall linux lite from a terminal possibly?  I need in detail directions because I have tried searching but most of the commands do not work in linux lite for some reason. Thanks

You can't "uninstall" any OS, being it Linux, Windows or MAC, what  you can do is;
1. Install another OS over it; this will overwrite the existing HDD replacing the old OS with the new one.
2. Delete/remove the OS from the HDD; use something like dban https://dban.org/ burn to a USB, boot the live iso and follow the instructions. Or just use Linux Lite live USB, launch gparted, select the HDD and  fromat it.

Hope this helps! :)

uninstalling linux lite from terminal
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 05:39:26 PM »

Kevin Hansen

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Hi,
 I need to uninstall linux lite from my hard drive but haven't had any luck so far. It is the only operating system on this HD. I have tried virtually everything but nothing seems to work. Is there anyone that could possibly help me uninstall linux lite from a terminal possibly?  I need in detail directions because I have tried searching but most of the commands do not work in linux lite for some reason. Thanks
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 11:14:55 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section