You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Unable to start live 2.8 from USB

Author (Read 4032 times)

Re: Unable to start live 2.8 from USB
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 03:41:05 AM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Yep that got it first go, posting this from a live 2.8 USB now.
Once again thank you Jerry  8)

Here's the steps:
Download the correct .AppImage, 32 or 64 bit, once downloaded right click on the file & go Properties > Permissions, check the Program: allow this file to run as a program box, close the Properties.
Double click the file, a message will open asking if you want to install a desktop entry, click yes, once it's done that & it opens just follow the steps.

I've had no experience with .AppImage files before now so I imagine if I clicked No when it asked about installing a desktop entry that the file would have to be used to start it each time instead of it's Menu entries, found under 'Other' & 'All'

Re: Unable to start live 2.8 from USB
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 01:59:54 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Try Etcher. I've found it to be the most reliable USB writer to date. http://www.etcher.io/

Unable to start live 2.8 from USB
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 12:48:41 AM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Not sure what's going on but whenever I try to boot from a 32-bit live 2.8 USB I get the error shown in the pic below.
Doesn't matter if I use Startup Disk Creator or Unetbootin, same message, tried safe mode etc..
Tried various USB sticks, all which test ok with H2Testw and work perfectly with LL-3 put on them.
Live dvd of 2.8 booting via a USB dvd drive works fine.
Md5 checks out ok.
The top entries about ACPI PCC probe failing & the 2 below it have always appeared as far as I can remember, along with the rectangle behind those messages.
The BusyBox & initramfs are the point at which it stops loading.
It does show the feather & progressbar for a few seconds like it's loading as normal then borks at the message.
Several websearch results say failed install media is the culprit but I don't believe this is the case as the same USB sticks work fine with LL-3 on them.
Live USB's created while on a new, updated install of 2.8, not made persistant, makes no diference if they are, tried creating new msdos partition table via GParted, reformatting, deleting contents without reformating, leaving contents & clicking Yes to All when Unetbootin asks to overwrite etc. etc..
Any ideas?
Thanks

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:46:24 AM by JmaCWQ »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section