You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

[SOLVED] Unable to boot or install any linux distro

Author (Read 18045 times)

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to boot or install any linux distro
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 09:28:08 PM »

jerobero500

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RC410
After installing a lot  of other distros that either didnt boot properly or this old video card and wireless card wouldn't work with. I ended up with LL 2.2 on 3 computers and lxle 12.05.5 on 1. This gives me a much better APPRECIATION of the simplicity of linux lite. Thanks Jerry!

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 12:32:21 AM »

jerobero500

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

You may want to enable the Power On Self Test if it isn't already enabled.

I guess your talking about the startup check self test and  hdd test. its checking the memory now. but i have had no problems booting other distros like Berry 1.03,  Fatdog 700x64,  Porteus xfce v3.1x64,    Sparky Linux 3.6 xfce x64, Tahr 6.02 pae. and of course i still cant boot mint and a few others i tried that were in the category of linux lite. and iv tried a lot of distros. im just trying to fix this for some one that is more of a beginner than me and i like LL. its very simple yet elegant! I will just leave LL on it since i have it running, just press that shift key after i press Default on that blue screen and just keep sudo apting. Thanks for ur help AVJ. i just think its got to be a video driver problem. those distros above must be using something different. for my ati radieon x1250 integrated graphics card. Self test is complete.no problems.

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 09:12:08 PM »

avj

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD/ATI RC410 Radeon Xpress 200/1100
You may want to enable the Power On Self Test if it isn't already enabled.
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 08:27:55 PM »

jerobero500

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

legacy support is enabled and im familar with the bios. OS is already installed on hard drive those are just the problems above that i have after i boot and the os tries to start.

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 08:17:02 PM »

avj

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

You probably need to change the bios setup to enable legacy support for usb.

You should be able to enter the bios setup by restarting the computer and when the first screen appears
look for the word "setup" to enter you will have to press the key that is listed, usually F1, F2, F10, or something similar.
You usually only have a couple of seconds to enter the key before the screen changes so you have to be quick. If you don't get it on the first try just restart and try again.

Once in the bios you will need to find the settings for USB legacy support, it is different with different bios types, so I can't tell you where it is.
Be careful not to change any settings if you don't know what you are doing as settings in the bios control your hardware and can cause problems if set wrong.

When enabled, USB legacy support
allows the following:

Startup from bootable USB devices, including a hard drive, diskette drive,
or optical drive connected by a USB port to the computer.
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 06:16:24 PM »

jerobero500

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks everyone who tried to help. I tried this gksu gedit /edit/default/grub changed a few things and added

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="rootdelay=60 quiet splash"
then exec: sudo update-grub
 i was able to make the grub menu stay open with out pressing the shift key, but still have to press the shift key after the grub menu disappears to get the OS to start. I dont think the delay had any effect, may not be in the correct place.

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 12:46:09 PM »

jerobero500

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I have read that with certain bios types a boot delay increase is needed to give the bios time to register the hardware, when trying to boot from usb. Don't know if yours is one of them but it's something to look at. :)

Yeah that may be the problem. .So far iv been able to install LL2.2, update, set it up and switch drivers for wireless.  Every thing works good, Although i still have to hold the shift key to get grub to start and once there press start Linux Lite and immediately press and hold the shift key or else i get that flashing black screen with a feather in the background and a loader at the bottom which will eventually show full but the system doesn't start. iv tried it over and over so I'm just using the shift key every time. May try the boot repair but don't want to mess a good thing up. don't know whether to close this as solved or not.  Was unable to install boot repair thru terminal (says package not found) followed help instructions to the letter. About to research that boot delay and try that before i run boot repair from an old live cd i have.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 04:55:38 AM by jerobero500 »

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 10:50:13 AM »

avj

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I have read that with certain bios types a boot delay increase is needed to give the bios time to register the hardware, when trying to boot from usb. Don't know if yours is one of them but it's something to look at. :)

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 10:00:34 AM »

jerobero500

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Update.. I just used dban on my had drive and also created msdos partition table on memory stick formatted to fat32. downloaded LL2.2 x64 as torrent,md5sum matches. also checked for any bios updates. started PCwith LL on stick. get to the blue screen with Default-start linux lite etc, let it boot automatically ...didnt work restart computer, after choosing start from usb , hold down shift key, get to blue screen with default,start linux lite etc, and it booted right into the live LL OS. (my blue screen shows press tab to edit and i was going to do that but since it booted into the live OS by holding down the shift key I didnt have to use the nomodeset command) anyway im installing now, and will see how it reacts once its loaded on my hard drive. It seems to me from something i read some where that maybe its not detecting all my hardware before booting or there is a problem with these ati 1250 drivers? Hope this thread helps someone else with problems. any help will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 04:50:37 AM by jerobero500 »

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 02:25:03 AM »

jerobero500

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I just ran a live usb build from porteus and it worked. im downloading LL 2.2 again and checking the hash will try again to see if i can get it to boot.

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 01:16:46 AM »

jerobero500

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

If the specs listed at cnet are accurate, I don't see why it wouldn't run LL.  http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-compaq-6715b-15-4-turion-64-x2-tl-64-vista-business-2-gb-ram-120-gb-hdd-series/specs/

Me either but thats the specs and Internet search shows a lot of problems running linux on this lap top. Ubuntu hardy 8.4 is supposed to run on it but its not supported any more. Is there any way to use the 2.6.24 or 2.6.34 kernel in LL? like i said earlier i got berry 1.03 to run on it but noway to convert language to English that i can find. and its not supported either. I will just keep messing around with it till maybe we get a solution to it. Thanks.

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 01:09:04 AM »

jerobero500

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

wow , it surprises me !

Some newer distros aren t pretty nice to old hardware , seen some in the forum last week or more . Too bad .

Thanks i will check them out.

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 12:57:11 AM »

avj

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

If the specs listed at cnet are accurate, I don't see why it wouldn't run LL.  http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-compaq-6715b-15-4-turion-64-x2-tl-64-vista-business-2-gb-ram-120-gb-hdd-series/specs/

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 12:15:49 AM »

bugfree

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 11:42:29 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi,
I'd give these distros a try:

http://www.porteus.org/

http://www.slitaz.org/

http://puppylinux.org/
If I remember correctly, this is the version specifically for very old hardware:
http://puppylinux.org/main/Long-Term-Supported%20WaryPuppy.htm

Good luck :)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section