You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

trouble installing Linux-lite on MSI U-210 notebook

Author (Read 3918 times)

Re: trouble installing Linux-lite on MSI U-210 notebook
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 11:17:40 AM »

nearludite02

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon Neo64

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD MV-40
Hello torreydale:  Thank you for the information.  I have decided to throw the towel in on this effort as this is my second day of attempting to load various versions of Linux on this old computer (was still working OK for my needs; had Cinnamon version 18.3 on it previously but forgot my password and could not access the OS.)  After two days of nothing working, I decided to wipe the hard-drive this A.M. to install an 18.3 version of Cinnamon vs. Linux-lite but I have truly gummed up the notebook as now no version of Linux-lite or others will load from the USB drive.  The last word I see flashing up on the screen (in very small print) is "preload" and that is the end of things. The hard-drive runs for several minutes and then the computer shuts down.

I have met my match.

Regards.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 09:06:30 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
@nearludite02 @DeepThought ,

Your hardware specs are listed here:
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/U210/Specification

The processor is a 64-bit processor, single core, single threaded, and 1.6 GHz.  See this link:
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%20Neo%20for%20Ultrathin%20Notebooks%20MV-40%20-%20AMGMV40OAX4DX.html

The fact that it may have come with a 32-bit version of Windows doesn't matter.  The CPU/Processor matters.  So you should be able to install a 64-bit OS like LL 4.4.  The problem with typing in different characters is your computer appears to boot up with Num Lock engaged.  Turn off Num Lock before entering in passwords/usernames, etc.

I believe LL 4.4 can bring this computer back to life, but based on specs it won't be too impressive.  You could give it a significant boost if you moved away from the 5400 RPM hard drive and got either a 72000 RPM hard drive or a Solid State Drive (SSD).  But I understand why you wouldn't want to put money into something that's already 10 years old. 

To help the install go faster, avoid the option to Download Updates as part of the install.  Instead leave that option unchecked and run Install updates after the installation of Linux Lite.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 04:47:42 PM »

nearludite02

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thank you for the information Deep Thought.  The AMD Athlon Neo 64 processor seemed to be a fit for the 4.4 version.

I shall give the version you suggested a try.  I'll download it on a new USB drive as the one I'm using may also be a problem -- it is running so slowly that it would take all day.

The "built-in" Caps Lock is a cute secret.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 12:16:33 PM »

DeepThought

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • WKDfm Radio | WKDfm Chat

• CPU: AMD Turion(tm) 64 x 2 Mobile Technology TL-60

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ATI RS480

• Kernel: 5.x
Hi @nearludite02 , is this your machine ?

http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/msi-wind-u210-review/

if so it suggests maybe it is 32 bit (note Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit with SP1 from te specs) and you should try
Linux Lite 3.8 32 bit version.

The 4.4 version you are trying to install is 64 bit only

Also as a side note for installation, Linux Lite comes with Numlock installed and enabled, so this might account for your keyboard problems when typing your password, usually there is an Fn key that can disable this while installing and once installed you can enable/disable numlock on a more permanent basis via lite-tweaks
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:22:43 PM by DeepThought »
Owner and DJ at WKDfm Radio ( www.wkdfm.co.uk )

trouble installing Linux-lite on MSI U-210 notebook
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 11:28:54 AM »

nearludite02

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I am in the process of attempting to install 4.4 but am having a couple of problems.

During the setup process I checked the keyboard configuration and all seemed OK; when I attempted to enter a password containing the letter "o", it came up as a "/" instead. I did not try all the keyboard keys and tried to go back to the previous window.  The system is no stuck and nothing is happening except a wheel is turning but I cannot do anything else.  Reading from the USB drive is very slow.

Should I attempt to download another version?? I am new to Linux and thought lite would be easy to handle but have run into these problems so far.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section