Software - Support > Installing Linux Lite

Terminal Password Issues

(1/2) > >>

South_Oz:

--- Quote from: gold_finger on May 06, 2014, 06:59:07 PM ---Just posting this here (way after this post has already stopped) just in case someone reads through having same type of problem as OP.

While testing something unrelated to this post for someone else, I ran into same problem in a VirtualBox setup of LL.  I could enter the password as normal in the terminal for admin activities that did not involve invoking a GUI.  There was no problem for instance installing a software package with a terminal command -- sudo apt-get install XYZ_package.  However, when I tried to open a GUI program with admin rights, it would not accept the password and kept proclaiming that it was wrong and telling me to try again.  For example, opening a text file as root with gksu leafpad /etc/fstab, would NOT take the password when entered.

It turned out to be because the gksu-properties were set to "su" instead of "sudo".  So to fix just do the following:
*  Open a terminal and run

--- Code: ---gksu-properties
--- End code ---
*  Under "Behavior"/"Authentication Mode" -- select "sudo" from the drop-down list; then "close".
*  That's all it took to get the password accepted for admin activities that invoke a GUI application.

Not sure if this was the OP's problem, but it very well could be for others who look here for answers to this problem.

--- End quote ---

+1

gold_finger:
Just posting this here (way after this post has already stopped) just in case someone reads through having same type of problem as OP.

While testing something unrelated to this post for someone else, I ran into same problem in a VirtualBox setup of LL.  I could enter the password as normal in the terminal for admin activities that did not involve invoking a GUI.  There was no problem for instance installing a software package with a terminal command -- sudo apt-get install XYZ_package.  However, when I tried to open a GUI program with admin rights, it would not accept the password and kept proclaiming that it was wrong and telling me to try again.  For example, opening a text file as root with gksu leafpad /etc/fstab, would NOT take the password when entered.

It turned out to be because the gksu-properties were set to "su" instead of "sudo".  So to fix just do the following:
*  Open a terminal and run

--- Code: ---gksu-properties
--- End code ---
*  Under "Behavior"/"Authentication Mode" -- select "sudo" from the drop-down list; then "close".
*  That's all it took to get the password accepted for admin activities that invoke a GUI application.

Not sure if this was the OP's problem, but it very well could be for others who look here for answers to this problem.

Scott:
You're welcome and happy to hear things I working now  :)

dbrew4:
I got too frustrated with this password and numlock issue so I re-installed Linux Lite and used a password with keys that weren't associated/affected by the numlock key. So far so good as far as entering my new password in the terminal. Thanks for all your help.

Scott:
Good work, thanks for your patience.

Here's another thing to try. Let's assume, for the sake of troubleshooting, that when you reset your password the keypad was in the ON position. If the keypad was ON, what would your password be? Let's determine that.

Open the text editor (menu > accessories > text editor)
Turn the keypad on (Fn+F9)
Type your password in the text editor
Turn the keypad off (Fn+F9)

If the password in the text editor is the same password that you typed stop here and let me know.
If the password in the text editor is different from what you typed then try this password when installing weather monitor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version