You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Terminal Password Issues

Author (Read 14710 times)

Re: Terminal Password Issues
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 09:40:06 AM »

South_Oz

Just posting this here (way after this post has already stopped) just in case someone reads through having same type of problem as OP.

While testing something unrelated to this post for someone else, I ran into same problem in a VirtualBox setup of LL.  I could enter the password as normal in the terminal for admin activities that did not involve invoking a GUI.  There was no problem for instance installing a software package with a terminal command -- sudo apt-get install XYZ_package.  However, when I tried to open a GUI program with admin rights, it would not accept the password and kept proclaiming that it was wrong and telling me to try again.  For example, opening a text file as root with gksu leafpad /etc/fstab, would NOT take the password when entered.

It turned out to be because the gksu-properties were set to "su" instead of "sudo".  So to fix just do the following:
*  Open a terminal and run
Code: [Select]
gksu-properties*  Under "Behavior"/"Authentication Mode" -- select "sudo" from the drop-down list; then "close".
*  That's all it took to get the password accepted for admin activities that invoke a GUI application.

Not sure if this was the OP's problem, but it very well could be for others who look here for answers to this problem.

+1

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 06:59:07 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Just posting this here (way after this post has already stopped) just in case someone reads through having same type of problem as OP.

While testing something unrelated to this post for someone else, I ran into same problem in a VirtualBox setup of LL.  I could enter the password as normal in the terminal for admin activities that did not involve invoking a GUI.  There was no problem for instance installing a software package with a terminal command -- sudo apt-get install XYZ_package.  However, when I tried to open a GUI program with admin rights, it would not accept the password and kept proclaiming that it was wrong and telling me to try again.  For example, opening a text file as root with gksu leafpad /etc/fstab, would NOT take the password when entered.

It turned out to be because the gksu-properties were set to "su" instead of "sudo".  So to fix just do the following:
*  Open a terminal and run
Code: [Select]
gksu-properties*  Under "Behavior"/"Authentication Mode" -- select "sudo" from the drop-down list; then "close".
*  That's all it took to get the password accepted for admin activities that invoke a GUI application.

Not sure if this was the OP's problem, but it very well could be for others who look here for answers to this problem.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 10:46:24 AM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
You're welcome and happy to hear things I working now  :)

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 05:49:43 AM »

dbrew4

I got too frustrated with this password and numlock issue so I re-installed Linux Lite and used a password with keys that weren't associated/affected by the numlock key. So far so good as far as entering my new password in the terminal. Thanks for all your help.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 02:18:11 PM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Good work, thanks for your patience.

Here's another thing to try. Let's assume, for the sake of troubleshooting, that when you reset your password the keypad was in the ON position. If the keypad was ON, what would your password be? Let's determine that.

Open the text editor (menu > accessories > text editor)
Turn the keypad on (Fn+F9)
Type your password in the text editor
Turn the keypad off (Fn+F9)

If the password in the text editor is the same password that you typed stop here and let me know.
If the password in the text editor is different from what you typed then try this password when installing weather monitor.

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 12:30:24 PM »

dbrew4

I opened up a new terminal and typed my password on the command line and it shows my password correctly. I then went to Menu-System-Install Additional Software and picked out "Install Weather Monitor" just to try it ( I did not enter any commands). The terminal comes up and explains that this is a weather plugin for the task bar and then explains things about it. It the asks for my password and again the cursor just flashes, I enter my password (doesn't show) and then "Sorry try again". Still not working

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 12:08:14 PM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

It sounds like you're typing a sudo command which will cause the password not to appear on the screen. Instead open a terminal (menu > accessories > terminal) and just type your password.

Example, open a terminal and type the word "cheese". The word "cheese" will appear on the screen.

Is the password you just typed on screen correct? If the keypad issue is interfering what you type and what is displayed on screen will not be the same. If there is a problem here, turn the keypad off and try again. What you type and what is displayed should match.

If the example above didn't work, try the opposite: turn the keypad ON when entering your password. Huh, has he lost his mind? An explanation: when resetting the password to something new the keypad was actually ON.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:22:02 PM by Scott(0) »

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 11:38:36 AM »

dbrew4

I'm able to type in commands in the terminal using my keyboard but when it asks for my PW...nothing. The cursor blinks and doesn't show the letters/numbers I'm typing. I think it's that way by default for security reasons. I already change my password using the manual...still no good in the terminal.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:00:06 AM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello. To confirm that the keypad issue isn't causing the password problem, open a terminal window and type your password. Does it appear correctly?

If nothing seems to be working you can always reset the password:

1. Open the LL Help Manual
   Menu > Help Manual
   or
   https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/index.html

2. In the Help Manual, navigate to "resetting your password"
   Click "Install Guide" (top of window)
   Click "Resetting your password" (in index to left)

Terminal Password Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 09:04:01 AM »

dbrew4

Using a Gateway laptop, Pentium 4 processor, 1G ram with Linux Lite 1.0.8 installed. I used the Menu-Install Updates and that worked fine. Now when I'm in the terminal it doesn't take my password even though it is the correct one. Its states: "Sorry, try again" and after 3 times it prompts me for a new command. Can't figure out what to do here. Maybe change my password but how do I do that without reloading Linux Lite? I'm also trying to fix the numlock being on by default on start up. I went into the bios on reboot and there aren't any options for changing any numlock. I have to use the Fn+F9(Pad Lock) keys to toggle it off...no numlock key on keyboard. Any help would be appreciated. NEWBIE to Linux!!
Tks
Dennis

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section