You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Struggling to install via USB

Author (Read 22054 times)

Re: Struggling to install via USB
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 09:48:38 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
skar,

If everything is working then you're just fine.  So congrats on getting it up and running.  Good job!

I think the fact that you wiped Windows 8 completely off the system helped a lot.  That combined with you correctly telling the installer to erase and reinstall.  My steps were more of a precautionary measure than mandatory in your case.  If you had kept Windows on the computer, you would have had no choice but to perform things in a certain manner.  Since you got rid of it, the LL installer could go ahead with the Legacy mode install in whatever way it wanted.  The computer's UEFI settings must detect that the only bootable system installed is in Legacy mode and thus automatically boots in that mode.  (That's my guess.  There is probably a setting for only UEFI, only Legacy, or auto-detect and boot in either mode.)

My guess is that LL installed in legacy mode, but kept the GPT partitioning scheme.  Linux can do that, Windows can not.  If that's what it did, then it will have made an extra partition compared to the traditional MBR partition installation called a "bios_boot" partition.  I'm curious to know if that's what it did, or if it automatically converted the disk to MBR partitions and did that kind of installation.  If you don't mind, can you run these terminal commands to show which way it did everything?

Code: [Select]
sudo parted -l(When entering password, nothing will show on the screen.  That is normal.)

and

lsblk
Just copy/paste the output from both of them back here to the forum.

Now that you've got LL installed, don't forget to run the initial updates to the system -- Menu -> Install Updates.  Then you're all set and ready to go.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 06:21:40 AM »

skar

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
gold_finger,

I guess I should have come back to read your post before installing. I just changed the boot mode to legacy and went ahead with the install. I choose erase and reinstall LL. Everything went OK. To be honest I'm not up to speed with what you mentioned in the last post. As of now everything looks OK. Would be so kind to let me know if I made a critical error and what the fix would be. I'm experimenting with the laptop, so don't mind reinstalling and the like. But surely I want LL as my main OS. I'm learning linux at my own pace.

On completely different topics I had a few questions:

1) How may I see the percentage on the battery icon (right side of panel)?

2) I cannot get the window tiling option to work in settings. I had gone to window manager (Settings->Window Manager->Advanced) and turned on Window snapping feature to no avail. Also I just have 1 workspace enabled. I don't like multiple workspaces.

3) This might sound like a weird question, however, since I changed to legacy and installed LL, I note that the hard disk access noise is prominent and happens a lot. This I did not notice with xubuntu or windows 8. The kind of sound you here in older PCs when accessing the hard drive. Everything works well, fast and efficient, but can't help but notice this

skar
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 04:04:00 PM by skar »

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 02:58:43 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Yes, if you change everything to legacy mode the install should go fine.

However, like I said before, there are two areas that can be set for booting in CSM/Legacy mode -- the Boot Menu and the main UEFI Settings/Startup Menu.  The Boot Menu only controls booting for the current boot session -- and my impression is that you have been using that to control the boot mode for the USB. That's fine and you do need to do that.  But, you also need to change the default boot mode for all bootups in the main UEFI Settings/Startup Menu.  If you don't, then the computer will boot in UEFI mode as it does now and the Legacy install won't boot.

Another thing you need to do before installing is to wipe out the current drive partitions and then create a new partition table in "msdos" (MBR) format instead of the current GOT format.  That's pretty easy to do.

* Open GParted (Menu -> System -> Partition Drives)
* Right-click on the Swap partition and choose "Swapoff"
* Right-click on every partition and choose "Delete"
* Hit "Apply" (arrow button under word "Help") to finalize deletions.
* Then, along top of GParted, click Device -> Create partition table -> msdos
* Hit "OK" or "Apply" to finalize.
* Done.  Go ahead and close GParted

If you want a special partition setup, you can use GParted to create them at this point.  Otherwise, you can leave the drive empty and let Linux Lite installer do the partitioning for you.

When done with GParted you can go ahead and install.

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 01:09:18 AM »

skar

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
If I change to legacy boot, I can boot in perfectly with the Rufus tool.  I have not upgraded yet, will do so soon.

Thanks
skar

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 05:45:16 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Ok -- I may have misunderstood one of your prior posts.  I thought that after you had put Xubuntu on the computer you tried one more time to install LL.  It sounds like that is not what you did.  Sounds like you have not tried to install LL in place of the Xubuntu yet.  Is that correct?

I do know that your intent is to have only LL on the computer.  Since I had thought that you had another failed attempt at installing LL after Xubuntu was on machine, the questions I asked would have given me a clue as to whether you might have missed an install step or not.  For example, if you had unsuccessfully tried again to install LL as the sole OS, but Xubuntu still booted up fine after the attempt, that would have meant that you forgot to manually assign partitions for the installation.  (That is a relatively common mistake.)  If that were the case, it would be easy to correct.

If you could let me know, step by step, how to make a bootable LL usb from Windows or Xubuntu and any other important steps, that would be great.

For UEFI installations, there are varying success rates from people using different tools to make the USB.

From Xubuntu, your most reliable method to make the USB would be as described in the Help Manual.  Follow directions under the heading "Writing the latest Linux Lite ISO to USB using a terminal in Linux and OSX".

• Download the 64-bit LL 2.0 ISO file here:  https://www.linuxliteos.com/download.html
  • Download it to the "Downloads" folder.
  • Open a terminal; enter cd Downloads to go to the Downloads folder; then enter md5sum linux-lite-2.0-64bit.iso to check the md5sum.  It should come back as "65eeeb03d1d22bc7f1b4e21db04da21b"
  • Use the dh -f command to find out the device name of the USB you have plugged in.
  • Use the dd command to make the live USB.  (It will take some time -- 5-20 minutes.)

From a Windows OS, the most reliable method for UEFI installations (from what I've read) is the Rufus tool I gave link to before.  I can't give step-by-step for Windows tools because I don't have any recent Windows experience.

Try one more time with a new USB.  Boot it in UEFI mode.  After booted up, open a terminal and confirm that it is booted in UEFI mode with this command:

ls /sys/firmware
If you see "efi" in the listed output, then you are booted in UEFI/EFI-mode.  Otherwise you are booted in BIOS/Legacy-mode.

Once confirmed, start installer and if you have choice to replace Xubuntu and use the whole disk, do that.  It should automatically create partitions it needs and install to them correctly.  If install attempt fails, boot the live USB again and post back with output from this terminal command:
sudo parted -l

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 03:38:31 PM »

skar

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
gold_finger,

I think I did not make it clear enough on what I want and what I did. I had Windows 8 on this laptop. I wanted to dedicate the laptop entirely to linux, and I choose LL. I used Universal-USB-Installer and selected Ubuntu. Since LL is based off Ubuntu, I figured that was the best choice as there was no LL option available. I then was able to boot into LL using the USB (don't have a CD/DVD drive) and start the installer. Then right at the end of the install I got a message saying grub could not be installed and hence upon restart, could not boot into LL. I tried other tools like Unetbootin and the ones suggested in this post. Either I would get the same result (grub wont install) or the USB wont boot. So I figured in the mean time I'd install xubuntu. I do like it, but still inclined to install LL as my sole OS for this laptop. I asked the question if LL was okay for a decent laptop, because I wanted to make sure it utilizes the full potential of the hardware and the fact that most folks were using it on a older systems. "Linux Lite is also great for reviving that old laptop or desktop you gave up on a few years back"- This gave me the impression that it was designed specifically to cater to low end machines.

I will check on the legacy boot. However, I did see that I could change from UEFI to legacy in the boot menu for my acer aspire v5. If you could let me know, step by step, how to make a bootable LL usb from Windows or Xubuntu and any other important steps, that would be great.

skar
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 03:46:01 PM by skar »

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 07:47:18 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Quote from: skar
Once again, I wanted to check if its a good idea for a good config laptop (Intel I7, 6 GB DDR3L,nVIDIA GeForce 720 M).

Just because LL is light enough to run on lower end systems doesn't mean it was meant only for them.  Machines with better specs just run any OS better (faster) than a machine with lesser specs.  I run LL on new and old machines.  So, "Yes" running LL on your I7 machine is perfectly fine and, as N4RPS pointed out, it will be very snappy and quick.

Quote from: skar
karansh@karansh-Aspire-V5-573G:~$ ls /sys/firmware
acpi  efi  memmap

The output above does show that the live Linux Lite USB booted in UEFI/EFI mode.  (The "efi" would not have been listed in output of command if it had booted in Legacy mode.)

The other command ("parted -l") shows the partitions currently on your hard drive.  They look exactly the same as when you posted the output of that command earlier in this thread.  So, before we continue, I want to know:

• Do you still have Xubuntu on the hard drive and are you still able to boot into it?
  • If "YES", did you have to re-install it after your latest attempt to install LL; or did it never disappear after your attempt to install LL and it just booted up as normal?  (In other words, after the failed install of LL, did Xubuntu still work?)
  • When you were trying to install LL, were you trying to install on the whole drive; or were you trying to install as a dual-boot with Xubuntu?
  • On your current live USB that you're using to boot and install LL, which program was used to create it?  (You mentioned using several -- which one made the USB you're using now?)

Based on your answers to the above questions, we'll proceed in one of two ways:

• Try installing in UEFI mode.  (Since your live USB did boot in UEFI mode, I'm guessing it will install correctly -- but I don't know for sure.  One of questions I asked above may reveal a clue as to why your prior install attempt failed.)
  • Switch computer to CSM/Legacy boot mode and install LL that way.  That WILL definitely work, but involves changing boot mode in you UEFI settings menu and wiping the current partitions and reformatting the drive to MBR partitions instead of GPT partitions.  (Sounds difficult, but it's not.)

After you post back and are waiting for a reply, look-up how to get into your computer's UEFI Setting/Startup Menu.  (It might be referred to as "BIOS" settings.  That's technically incorrect, but many manufacturers seem to continue using that terminology even when the firmware is UEFI.)  Normally that is done by hitting a special key immediately after powering on the computer, but that key varies from one manufacturer to the next.  Sometimes it's the <DEL> key, or the <ESC>, of one of the function keys like <F2>.  You'll just have to look that up.

Normally there is also a separate key that you can hit that brings up a "Boot Menu".  Look up how to get into that as well -- we might need to know that later.  (Usually that's another key like <F12> or <F10> that's pressed on startup.)  That Boot Menu controls the booting for only that particular session booting the computer.  The UEFI/BIOS Settings Menu will have a boot menu in it also.  Changes there carry over on every bootup of the computer.  The separate Boot Menu allows you to temporarily change the settings for only the current bootup session without having to go into the full UEFI Settings Menu.

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 11:19:36 PM »

skar

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Apologies for the delayed response gold_finger. I think I want only Linux Lite on my machine. Once again, I wanted to check if its a good idea for a good config laptop (Intel I7, 6 GB DDR3L,nVIDIA GeForce 720 M). Here is the output of what you requested.
karansh@karansh-Aspire-V5-573G:~$ ls /sys/firmware
acpi  efi  memmap
karansh@karansh-Aspire-V5-573G:~$ sudo parted -l
[sudo] password for karansh:
Model: ATA TOSHIBA MQ01ABF0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End    Size    File system     Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  538MB  537MB   fat32                 boot
 2      538MB   494GB  493GB   ext4
 3      494GB   500GB  6082MB  linux-swap(v1)

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 03:04:45 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

skar,

NOTE:  Just saw your post before I finished writing this.  Skip down to the "P.s." at bottom to answer a quick question before I log off for the night.

I see you wiped out Windows 8 on the computer -- it's not listed in the partition output -- so that makes one less thing to worry about.  It also means that you WILL be able to install Linux Lite on the computer.  One way or the other, you can get it installed now.

Here are your choices:

• Since you already have Xubuntu installed in UEFI-mode using GPT partitions, you can attempt to boot and install Linux Lite in that mode.  That is not "officially" encouraged, but I'm curious to know if it will work.  (I don't have a UEFI computer to test that myself.)  If you can get the USB to boot in UEFI-mode, I'm betting it will install.
  • Or, change UEFI settings to boot in CSM/Legacy mode; then re-install Xubuntu in Legacy-mode using regular MBR partitions.  Then do the same with Linux Lite and you'll have no problem installing it.
  • Lastly, Linux OSs (unlike Windows) can be installed to GPT partitioned disks in CSM/Legacy mode also.  You may be able to convert the current Xubuntu install for that mode, but you'll need to add a special "bios_boot" partition first, then run Boot-Repair utility to convert it after changing the boot mode to CSM/Legacy.  If that works, then you can install LL to the GPT disk as well, but direct boot loader installation to the "bios_boot" partition instead of the MBR.

I know it all sounds pretty confusing right now, but hang in there -- I'm sure we can get it done.  Personally, I think either of the first two are your best bet.  The last option I'm not as confident in.  I don't have time to write up detailed instructions right now, but will try doing so in about 8-12 hours.

P.s.
Just saw your last post while I typed above.  Sounds like you are able to boot LL -- just won't install grub correctly.  Before wiping LL off of the drive, can you boot the live LL again and post back the output of these two commands from the live USB (not Xubuntu).

ls /sys/firmwareand
sudo parted -l

P.s.s.
Do you still have Xubuntu on the drive?  Are you wanting to dual-boot with it, or do you only want LL on the computer?  If your goal is to only have LL, then install will be very easy.  Let us know if that is the case.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:12:28 AM by gold_finger »

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 02:29:20 AM »

skar

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi N4RPS,

As I Mentioned I tried these programs. I could go all the way to testing linux lite and starting the installer. When the installer was almost done, I got an error that grub could not be installed and hence the system would not boot.

skar

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 01:00:21 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Linux Lite has not yet been added to the LiLi and YUMI menus, but can still be installed with them. Requests to add it have been made to the developers of these programs, but may take some time to finally appear.

In LiLi, it says that Linux Lite isn't on the list, but will be installed as Regular Linux (works with most Linuxes). This automatically-chosen setting will work for installing LL to a flash drive.

In YUMI, one selects Try Unlisted ISO (via SYSLINUX) to install Linux Lite. This is near the end of the list of available choices. After installation, one selects the Unlisted ISO menu when booting to select and boot LL.

With the specs you listed, your laptop should SCREAM with LL 64-bit, and should even do well gaming or running the Netflix hack via WINE - which is, IMHO, the ultimate test for ANY Linux OS. Feel free to respond with any further comments or questions...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:05:11 AM by N4RPS »

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 09:56:19 PM »

skar

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi folks,

Here is the output for the requested commands

karansh@karansh-Aspire-V5-573G:~$ sudo parted -l
[sudo] password for karansh:
Model: ATA TOSHIBA MQ01ABF0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End    Size    File system     Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  538MB  537MB   fat32                 boot
 2      538MB   494GB  493GB   ext4
 3      494GB   500GB  6082MB  linux-swap(v1)

karansh@karansh-Aspire-V5-573G:~$ [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "EFI boot on HDD" || echo "Legacy boot on HDD"
EFI boot on HDD

By the way I now just have Xubuntu 14.04 installed. This is just my home laptop on which I'm trying to get up to speed with linux. I do have access to windows on my work laptop. Also I did try YUMI and LILI. Both of which dont have linux lite listed. I tried other linux and that would help me run an install but fail when the grub install is in progress.

I have a good system, 6 GB DDR3L, Nvidia Geforce 720 M, Intel core I7. I'm still good to go with linux lite or is this an OS for low end systems?

skar
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:03:41 PM by skar »

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 08:11:40 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

N4RPS,
Thanks for posting that -- I forgot to address that part of the question.

@Skar,
Here's one more tool I've heard is reliable to use for creating live USBs from Windows:  http://rufus.akeo.ie/.

Also, to give you a little clarification on why I asked for the information I did in prior post -- I suspect your system is booting in UEFI-mode and that both Windows and Ubuntu are installed that way.  If that is the case, then you MUST use a 64-bit version of Linux Lite.  "Officially", Linux Lite does not support installing in UEFI-mode, but if that is what you have I would like to try guiding you through that just to see if it will actually work.  (I suspect it will, but am not sure.)  Anyway, the results of those two commands I posted will show what kind of installation you have in Windows and Ubuntu.  That's why I asked for them.

P.s.
Just in case you and I are never online at the same time, here is a guide to installing to a Win 8 machine with UEFI booting.  There is a lot of info there, so take your time.  If it is confirmed that a UEFI-mode installation is needed then please follow guidance for making backups of anything important and also create a Windows recovery USB.  (There should be a program on your computer for doing that.)  Don't attempt installing without doing those things first and don't proceed with an install attempt until I see your partitions from the 'parted' command.

For now, just do the prep work and familiarize yourself with what the steps will be.  If your whole hard drive is taken up by partitions for the other operating systems, you will need to shrink one or more of the existing ones to make room for the Linux Lite install.  If you are already familiar with doing that, go ahead and do that in preparation too.  (Confirm that booting into both existing OSs still works correctly after the shrink and post back with a screenshot of the drive in GParted after that if possible.)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:39:06 PM by gold_finger »

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

If you're trying to create a Live USB from a Linux Lite ISO file in Windows 8, Linux Live USB Creator (LiLi) or Yet Another Multiboot Installer (YUMI) will do things nicely. LiLi creates a single bootable USB, while YUMI will let you store several ISOs on a larger USB drive, and boot them from a menu.

LiLi: http://www.linuxliveusb.com

YUMI:http://www.pendrivelinux.com

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 11:55:31 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi Skar,

Boot into your installed Ubuntu on the laptop and post output of the following terminal commands back here for us to see:
sudo parted -l
[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "EFI boot on HDD" || echo "Legacy boot on HDD"Just copy/paste the lines from above into the terminal rather than trying to type them.  Do one at a time and hit enter after each.

See this post for how to paste terminal output back here to the forum:  https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=487.0.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section