You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Start up Question

Author (Read 2948 times)

Re: Start up Question
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 04:49:54 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Happy to help.

Grub Customizer lets you do a lot of neat stuff - like set which OS will boot automatically, change the color of the text, change the time it waits before booting automatcally, rename the way the entries look on the screen (for example, change 'Ubuntu' to 'Linux Lite 2.0 beta amd64'), delete unneeded entries, and by installing grub2-splashimages along with it, can put a background up instead of just a black screen. (I use the B-1 image myself)...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 03:41:12 PM »

moark

Thanks Rob, 

This helped a lot.  Starting go get into the world of Linux. 

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 11:52:03 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Unless you've changed things with Grub Customizer, GRUB2 defaults to the one that's at the top of the list - the one saying "Ubuntu". It also has an asterisk preceding it.

The others that have 'generic' in the name are 'advanced options' - usually used if a newly-updated kernel gums up. This is rare, but it DOES happen. This lets you start up to the previously working kernel, so you can reinstall the broken one (to see if that fixes things).

The other option after the second one is the previous kernel in what is called 'recovery mode'. This mode brings up a menu that lets you do things like a disk integrity check (fsck), fix broken packages (dpkg), and open a command shell (bash).

More info can be found through Google, or here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode

As people accumulate kernel update after kernel update, they are fairly large, so they start taking up more and more space on the hard drive. When that happens, they use 'Install/Remove Software' (Synaptic Package Manager) to remove the no-longer-needed kernels.

There are also terminal commands to remove old kernels that can be automated. They can be found by Googling 'remove old Linux kernels'. We can talk more about THAT when more of you n00bs start experiencing disk space issues.

You only asked for the time, but you now know how to build a watch...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 09:51:34 PM »

riser

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
If you could provide the actual text it would help in answering your question.

riser

Start up Question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 11:35:22 AM »

moark

Good Morning,

New user - I am using Virtualbox and running 32bit.  Linux Lite is awesome, every thing just works, even my HP Scanner/Printer. 
The one question I have is on start up choices.  It highlights Previous Linux and above that is Generic or something ( I should have written down the exact choices) so curious as to which to select.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section