You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Setting up partitions prior to install

Author (Read 8878 times)

Re: Setting up partitions prior to install
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 11:26:51 AM »

erve02d0

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Core i5 6400

• MEMORY: 8Gb
First of all if a working Windows7 was already installed to your box, any partition resizing (not reformatting, or deleting) should be done from Windows disk manager first, and a thorough defragging should be done before attempting that.

Exactly, as it says in the instructions https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#prepareinst

Anyway I went ahead and installed LL, it went fine although the "Allocate drive space by dragging the divider below" window did not appear. But LL seemed to snag precisely the space that I had set out for it so all is well.

Quick question: at boot, there's an option to boot LL 2.8 (I installed 3.2), what is that? A bunch of terminal lines appeared and then a login, but my password didn't work there. I won't use it, just curious what it is.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 10:37:38 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
First of all if a working Windows7 was already installed to your box, any partition resizing (not reformatting, or deleting) should be done from Windows disk manager first, and a thorough defragging should be done before attempting that. If you did not resize from Windows there is good chance you damaged your Windows installation. More info would be required for a better answer here. There is a lot of information on this subject available already on this forum. Take a look around here first, or google resizing partitions in Windows, or provide more info.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 10:10:40 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

You're second guessing an option (Install Alongside Windows) that is designed to handle the drive partitioning and the bootloader installation for you.  Even though this would be your 3rd Linux Lite computer, it appears that you aren't ready to go down the path of multi-booting or confident enough to revert if you run into a snag.

I would say no to deleting your D drive/partition.  I would also say to keep the activation key and installation media for the Window 7 install handy.  The activation key of your hand-me-down might be on a sticker attached to the computer.  You can download the installation media online.  It's also possible that the system recovery media (ie. the Windows 7 installation media) is on the D drive and wasn't cleared when you deleted everything else on it.

Your 8 and 9 partitions, for all we know, based on your narrative, are your root (/) and swap (SWAP) partitions created by the "Install Alongside Windows" option.  If so, they would have to be formatted (as stated) in order for Linux Lite to be installed on them.

Since Linux Lite is designed for the Windows convert, and they are looking to replace instead of augment what they have, multi-booting isn't a focus here.  But as a community, users in the forum jump in to help those with whatever pops up.  My help has been to steer folks away from dual-booting.  But if you feel that is the way to go, then use the easiest option (which is the Install Alongside Windows option), take the defaults, and call it a day.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:18:56 AM by torreydale »
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 08:53:49 AM »

erve02d0

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

When installing Linux Lite, are you not seeing the "Install Alongside Windows" option?  If so, consider using that option.

What part of my question is this in reference to? :) Yes, I saw that option. Then: "eventually I reach a screen that says partitions 8 and 9 of SCSI1 are gonna be formatted... what are those? If I set aside space for Lite I wanna make sure that's where Lite ends up. I don't want to click continue before I know for sure."

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 08:33:56 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

When installing Linux Lite, are you not seeing the "Install Alongside Windows" option?  If so, consider using that option.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Setting up partitions prior to install
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 07:41:10 AM »

erve02d0

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I have a handmedown laptop currently running Windows 7 that I would like to install Linux Lite alongside on (this would be my third Linux Lite computer). I'm reading the Help manual but I'm a bit confused.

This computer has about 350 (wut) GB storage. It is partitioned into two parts, C and a larger partition D (I'm assuming previous owner hasn't jammed another hard drive into the laptop but rather C and D are the same drive). I have cleaned out D so it's currently empty. Apparently there's a few other partitions as well, it says "primary partition" on all of them. So, what exactly do I need to do here? I would like to merge C and D (and the other partitions as well if possible), should I just "Delete this partition", will that automatically make C "absorb" the deleted partition?

EDIT: I went ahead and checked out the Linux Lite install menu. So, eventually I reach a screen that says partitions 8 and 9 of SCSI1 are gonna be formatted... what are those? If I set aside space for Lite I wanna make sure that's where Lite ends up. I don't want to click continue before I know for sure.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 08:17:56 AM by erve02d0 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section