You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Problems Writing ISO to USB stick in Linux Lite

Author (Read 8201 times)

Re: Problems Writing ISO to USB stick in Linux Lite
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 05:08:50 AM »

Qerasy

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb
I did on my Windows computer before,but i have not had this problems like you,i feel very strange.
On Windows computer to write ISO to USB stick.
See what they say:
https://www.iseepassword.com/iso-editor.html
http://www.freeisoburner.com/
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 09:33:16 PM by Qerasy »

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 07:24:13 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi Jan,

Great you got it working due to your persistence! :)

If you consider using both, Linux Lite and Windows, beside looking into parallel installation (which you will find many posts on here about) you might also want to consider running one of them as virtual machine by utilizing Virtualbox.

All the best and lots of fun on your Linux journey :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 06:13:03 PM by LL-user »

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 02:33:15 PM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Hello Jan,

You are welcome.

Glad you got it to work  8)

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 02:03:12 PM »

Jan

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Acer Aspire 5517 AMD Athlon dual core L310 1200MHz laptop

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Windows Aero (not sure about the kernel below)

• Kernel: 5.x
Hello JmaCWQ,

Thank you so much for your reply and, as with LL-user above, please accept my apologies for not responding sooner.

I didn't realize when I wrote my initial post that my old computer here is not capable of booting from a USB stick - only a DVD.  (Happily, I eventually did succeed in making a bootable DVD with Linux Lite 3.2, which I'm currently using.)

That said, thank you for suggesting Etcher.   I went to the website and checked it out further.  What a great resource! Definitely something to keep in mind for future use.   
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:05:15 PM by Jan »

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 01:19:39 PM »

Jan

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello LL-user,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my inquiry, and please accept my apologies for not replying sooner. 

I did eventually manage to get Linux Lite 3.2 installed on this desktop computer, but from a CD, after I remembered that this particular computer is not capable of booting from a USB stick.  In the future, I plan to install Linux Lite 3.2 on a laptop, alongside Windows 8.1.  So, I'm definitely going to try booting it from the USB stick as you have suggested. 

I checked the USB stick using the (sudo fdisk -1) command line and, yes, there's definitely some stuff in there. (But I'm too "green" at this to really understand what it means ... yet.  :) )  At the very least, the USB stick does show System Information Files in there, so that's probably the Linux Lite 3.2.  Thank you so much for your explanation.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 01:29:03 AM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Hello,

Jerry recommended using Etcher to me a while ago & since then I've had no more problems creating working live USB's.
Works fine using LL 2.8.

http://www.etcher.io/

Thread about it - https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/installing-linux-lite/unable-to-start-live-2-8-from-usb/msg24678/#msg24678

The Menu entries will remain so long as the AppImage remains in the same location, if it's moved the Desktop Entry bit has to be done again.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:26:40 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi Jan,

Have you actually tried booting your computer from that USB stick?

By using the dd command to create your bootable USB stick with the Live OS on it the whole USB stick content will be wiped and only the space is used that's necessary to copy the ISO. So you're having a 1GB partition on a 4GB USB stick. The other 3GB are just not used/partitioned.
There is no need to use a larger USB stick.

If you check your USB stick via GUI (disks, gparted) or on the command line (sudo fdisk -l) you will see what I'm talking about.

Hope that helps :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:29:33 PM by LL-user »

Problems Writing ISO to USB stick in Linux Lite
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 08:24:21 PM »

Jan

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I've been using Linux Lite 2.8 for the past year and want to replace it now with 3.2.   I downloaded both the 32 bit and 64 bit 3.2 ISOs and and have been following the instructions described under the heading "Writing the Linux Lite ISO to USB in Linux and OSX" and got the letter for my USB stick (sdf).  Next it says, "Open a folder and make sure you are in the directory that the ISO file is in.  Open a terminal in that directory ....."

OK, so then I went to my Downloads folder where I saw the two ISOs, clicked on the white space to bring up the Terminal and entered the command

sudo dd if=linux-lite-3.2-64bit.iso of=/dev/sdf bs=4M

After about a minute, the terminal replied

244+1 records in
244+1 records out
1024458752 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 152.587 s, 6.7 MB/s

Not sure what this meant, I re-entered the command a second time, but this time for the 32 bit ISO and got back the same message (relatively).
The Live USB image never happened on my desktop.  The 4.0 GB USB stick has been completely wiped out and now can only hold less than 1 GB.

Where did I go wrong here?

I also tried the "Writing the Linux Lite ISO to USB on Windows" option, but had no luck with this either.  After downloading Win32DiskImager on my Windows 8.1 laptop and running the Setup wizard, I got the following message

Unable to execute file; C/Program files (x86)\Image Writer\Win32DiskImager.exe
Create process failed; code 740
The requested operation requires elevation

Any ideas on how to get around this?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section