You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

[SOLVED] Trouble with GRUB re-installation

Author (Read 35410 times)

Re: [SOLVED] Trouble with GRUB re-installation
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 08:36:05 AM »

antenor

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i3 M370 2.4GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics Controller
Hello gold_finger,

I can't thank you enough for your immediate and complete reply! I only have to ask you
a) do I type everything you wrote me in my terminal (including "for i", "do", "done", "exit"
and b) don't I have to mount back all of the partitions one by one?

Thank you very much!!!  :)

Re: [SOLVED] Trouble with GRUB re-installation
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 06:58:57 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
In order to avoid troubles with GRUB conflicts I installed each fresh installed distro's GRUB on each one's / and over them all I tried to re-install
Lite's GRUB

If you installed (grub) boot loader for other distros to their respective root partitions, then all you needed to do is boot back into LL afterwards and run this command to add them to LL grub's boot menu:
Code: [Select]
sudo update-grub]Because of modifications made to LL's grub configuration, trying to boot LL from the grub of a different distro ends up being extremely difficult.  Therefore always a good idea to leave LL's grub in charge of booting the machine (which is what you were trying to do).  In your case, you didn't need to try installing LL's grub to each distro's root partition afterwards (if that's what you were doing) and that ended up just causing problems.

Now, to get LL booting again, boot from live LL disk and follow instructions below in a terminal.  Each line below needs to be entered separately and in the order shown.   [Note: anywhere you see "XY" or "X", change that to the correct drive letter ("X") and partition number ("Y") for your LL root partition.]

Code: [Select]
sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
sudo chroot /mnt
grub-install /dev/sdX
update-grub
exit
for i in /sys /proc /dev/pts /dev; do sudo umount /mnt$i; done
sudo umount /mnt
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

[SOLVED] Trouble with GRUB re-installation
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 01:16:25 PM »

antenor

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i3 M370 2.4GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics Controller
Hello all,

I have Windows on sda1 and 2, Lite /, swap and /home on sda3, 5 and 6 and left some unallocated space for experimentation! I installed
there recently a few distros to see what they got in real installation because in VB, apart from being slow, I have to use scroll bars.
In order to avoid troubles with GRUB conflicts I installed each fresh installed distro's GRUB on each one's / and over them all I tried to re-install
Lite's GRUB (please, feel free to laugh!!!). Everything was going according to plan in the terminal, up to the final command "sudo update-grub"
where instead of a glorious boot menu with all the OS listed, I found myself in front of a black screen!
I boot in the live mode trying to mount Lite's / and re-install GRUB, where I see in the terminal that everything is where it supposed to be although
unmounted and as soon as I give the commands "sudo grub-install...." and "sudo update-grub" in the end, it turns back "grub-install: error:
failed to get canonical path of '/cow'
What are the proper commands to fix this and what did I do wrong?

Thank you in advance!  :)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:48:48 AM by antenor »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section