You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Installation of LL6.2 goes to GRUB

Author (Read 5426 times)

Re: Installation of LL6.2 goes to GRUB
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 02:50:59 AM »

WytWun

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Atom z8300

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel integrated

• Kernel: 5.x
:) Finally got it :computer   
Glad to hear you had a win!
An obscure setting in "advanced BIOS" enabled me to boot the Linux Lite install USB.  Thanks to everyone for their support, consideration and patience.
For the benefit of anyone else who might encounter something like this, what was the "obscure setting" in the BIOS that you needed to change and what value did you need to set it to?

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 12:47:58 PM »

javier_mina

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
 :) Finally got it :computer   An obscure setting in "advanced BIOS" enabled me to boot the Linux Lite install USB.  Thanks to everyone for their support, consideration and patience.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 12:51:38 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

• MEMORY: 16Gb

For reinstallation, it sounds like you need to access the Dell boot menu in order to get the machine to boot from your installation media (USB or DVD) rather than GRUB which goes to the failed installation.

Search the internet for your model name/number and the words 'boot menu' for specific instructions.

It may be that tapping at the F12 key just after power on is the method.
Other common keys to try are 'Esc' or F2
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 06:21:12 AM by stevef »
clueless

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 09:18:33 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@javier_mina
What was your install process?
How many OS are installed just LL5 and LL6 or windows too..
Sounds like an UEFI bios, make sure boot loader resides on that same partition...
If its moved, or such have you tried going into ur bios/uefi and ensure Ubuntu (LL) is the 1st boot.
If its not set it as 1st and try to boot - see which LL boots or if prompts if only one... we can update grub to look for others.
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 06:33:14 PM »

javier_mina

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks to stevef and WytWun but still no success except that I learned LinuxLite6.2 is on hd0,gpt2 . I tried the guidance from both.  So I am at the point of having to re-install.  Hence my naiive question. How can I do that when my install USB for 6.2 and my former one for 5.4 (which worked for that series) always end with the grub>
I had gotten to like Linux Lite and would hate to give up on it.  Please help.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 01:59:34 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

Further to Wytwun's link you can check the grub setting fairly quickly from the grub prompt.

Provided you have the grub> prompt (not grub rescue>) it implies grub is running but the necessary files aren't where grub thinks they should be.  This might be fixable but because your installation didn't complete the state is unknown and re-installation might be the better option.

Type
Code: [Select]
set
Look for the line beginning 'root=', it should look something like

root=(hd0,gpt1)
This is where grub is trying to boot from, make a note of it.
Begin checking what is actually on the disk by listing the partitions on the system

ls
The partition names should look something like
(hd0,msdos1) or (hd0,gpt1).  The numbers may be different on your system.

Now check each partition for a 'root/' directory.
Repeat the 'ls' command followed by a space, then each partition in turn and finally slash '/'.
Regardless of the 'msdos' or 'gpt', you only need the partition number.
The commands will look something like this, but replace the hd and partition numbers to suit your system.

ls (hd0,1)/
For any partition with a root/ directory you can investigate what may be on it.

Type
cat (hd0,1)/etc/llveragain, you must replace the disk and partition numbers with your system.  The 'llver' file (if found) should have a valid LL release number.  As you've tried to install 6.2, the contents of this file should be 'Linux Lite 6.2'

If you can't find the llver file showing 'Linux Lite 6.2' in any partition you need to re-install.

If the root partition line from the 'set' command is the same as the partition in which you found 'Linux Lite 6.2' then grub is set correctly and you probably need to re-install.

If the root partition line from the 'set' command is not the same as the partition in which you found 'Linux Lite 6.2' then grub can be changed from the grub command line.  However it may still not boot properly due to the failed install.

Let us know what you find and also what problems you had that lead you to the conclusion that system won't re-install.
clueless

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 12:58:33 AM »

WytWun

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Atom z8300

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel integrated

I ended up with this... "GNU GRUB version 2.4 minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, Tab lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions. "  Then I get a grub> command. 
This post may lead you to some resources that guide you through a grub recovery.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 11:16:25 PM »

f23948

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

you can not upgrade from 5.x series to 6.x series. You need to clean install 6.2

Installation of LL6.2 goes to GRUB
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 06:05:26 PM »

javier_mina

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I have been happily using Linux Lite for a number or years.  When I just tried to upgrade ver 5.8 with 6.2 etched on a USB, my installation started well going through location, network connection and so on but then went black.  When I rebooted, I ended up with this... "GNU GRUB version 2.4 minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, Tab lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions. "  Then I get a grub> command. 

It won't reinstall, just goes right back to the message and prompt.

How can I fix this?  Is my Dell laptop bricked?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 11:26:11 AM by stevef »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section