You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

not booting with grub2

Author (Read 20885 times)

Re: not booting with grub2
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 04:52:52 PM »

davesurrey999

So I've just installed Lubuntu 14.04 and set it to take control of grub 2 booting and although it picks up and boots windows 7 and pclinuxos it does exactly the same as Linux Mint ie it doesn't boot LL 2.0 as it reports "error file name expected".

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 03:45:16 PM »

davesurrey999

Just realised that PCLOS uses legacy grub so reverting to plan B ...Lubuntu 14.04

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 02:57:28 PM »

davesurrey999

Ho gold_finger,
Thanks for getting back and confirming what I have seen.
To be honest I was quite sure there was an issue here as I certainly don't consider myself a Linux expert but have done 100's of installs and have LPIC-1 and 2 so not a novice.
It's a happy coincidence you have just installed 2.0 final as today I broke out another box and did an install of lite 2.0 to the whole disk and let it take charge of booting and not surprisingly it worked. Am now using another distro PCLinuxOS KDE and about to do a dual install of lite 2.0 keeping PCLinixOS in charge of booting to see what happens.
Let's report back our findings.
Cheers
Dave

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 01:59:25 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Apologies for delay getting back to this.  Had other things come up and busy week.

Just installed LL2.0 (non-beta) an hour ago and kept Mint 16 in charge of booting like I had when LL 2.0 beta was installed.  Ran into same problem described by davesurrey999 and spandey.  So there apparently is something that changed between the beta version and final version that causes this.  So, just confirming that you people did not do something wrong when installing.

I'm still trying to work out a solution and will report back when I figure it out.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 08:33:06 AM »

spandey

I am facing the same issue with Linux Mint 17. I tried to edit the Linux Lite entry in GRUB2 menu and found that there is no file-name after  the word   'linux'

That is why GRUB error says file name expected..Any ideas why GRUB2 in Mint is generating entries but without Linux file name..

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 09:19:57 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

I've installed LL 2.0 final on a couple of machines, and GRUB seemed, and seems, to work fine.

If your boot loader has been totally hosed, boot-repair does a very good job of either fixing it and/or generating a support request for you to submit to Ubuntu, to help get you some assistance...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 06:08:43 PM »

davesurrey999

Thanks for your reply.
To confirm I am using Linux Mint 17 (cinnamon) with grub2 and Linux Lite 2.0 (not the beta).
Yes I have done "sudo update-grub" several times (that's why the os-prober finds Linux Lite) but still won't boot.
Have re-installed using a diff CD bit same problem.
Strange.
Grateful if you could report back if its ok when you install 2.0 final.
Many thanks

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 01:41:45 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Not sure what might have gone wrong.  I'm doing exactly same thing as you here -- installed LL 2.0 (beta), but booting from Mint 16 grub.  During LL install, directed grub to LL root partition instead of MBR.  After install, booted Mint 16 and ran "sudo update-grub".  I'm assuming that's what you did also.  Maybe it just didn't complete installation correctly for some reason.  Can you try re-installing to see if that fixes problem?  (Might be the easiest and quickest solution.)

P.s.  I'll be switching to the final LL 2.0 version either today or tomorrow.  Seriously doubt difference between 2.0 beta and final 2.0 would be cause of that, but will report back if I too run into similar problem.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

not booting with grub2
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 10:36:37 AM »

davesurrey999

Previously I have been able to boot into Linux Lite 1.0.8 using grub 2 on my test box that runs grub2 from a Linux Mint install.

The install of Lite 2.0 seemed to work ok but when I come to boot it I get "error file name expected...press any key to continue" although grub does appear to be finding it with its os--prober as it appears in its list of available distros. It just won't boot.

Is anyione multibooting 2.0 with grub2 that can help?
Does anyone know what parameters I need to do a manual entry into grub for lite 2.0

Before anyone asks, yes I have checked the MD5 and yes I've tried it using another type of CD

Also other distros work just fine.

I need to do an evaluation of Lite as I am considering using it in the charity where I volunteer helping senior citizens learn pcs and also converting their XP PCs to Linux.
Thanks

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section