You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

No Root File System is Defined

Author (Read 11738 times)

Re: No Root File System is Defined
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 02:42:56 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
OP should be addressing @firenice03 post because with a Dell Latitude E6410, there's a very good chance it's UEFI. If the OP downloaded 4.6, he will never make any progress because he started with the wrong ISO type to begin with.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 08:56:40 PM »

minesheep

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 4Gb

Have you even had parition tables on the disks. Please add screenshot of your problem.

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 06:38:16 PM »

Michael Lantz

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Update: decided to use the installed one unit as my "mother ship" install system. Created two more drives for two more laptops and they installed well and ported over to the new units with no problems. The third install on the "mother ship" had the same install problems as the rest. So I was not able to install the last two.

So, I decided to try another distro and it installed well in 4 of the units (wiped out the Linux Lite installs for the new Distro). The fifth and final unit had a "grub: problem on the boot up, so I put in a different drive and it installed easily.

So now I have five units without Linux Lite. Disappointed because I have never seen this install problem before with LL. These were Dell originally with Windows Vista and then had Windows 10 installed on them before I tried the LL install.

Maybe someone can figure out what went wrong.

Thanks so much.

Mike

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 09:31:55 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@Michael Lantz

Are you installing using Something Else?
- If you haven't I would try - it will allow you to select the and configure the partitions - You need 1 as a root"/" - this is a drop down window within the partitioning window. BUT if no disks are presented but the LiveUSB.... See UEFI

Also depending on disk configuration - it may not be exactly labeled sda... If it uses flash type disk it may be something like /mmpxxx I dont recall the exact. 
If it has multiple disks, it could be sdb

You mention formatting the drive - the entire disk or partition? If Windows is still installed, it can lock the drive (search for disabling fast boot)

Is this a BIOS or UEFI boot Laptop - If UEFI and using the regular LL install the disk may not be seen (most likely you have SecureBoot disabled to see the USB)
- If so, disable UEFI in BIOS = or set to Legacy in order to install LL. OR Download the UEFI LL installer - it will show a prior version but will update fine.
-If you're not sure, download and try the LL UEFI version..

If these don't help right off - we might need additional system info

** Update **
Looks to be UEFI - I would use the LL UEFI 
https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/linux-lite-software-development/uefi-build-test/msg44253/#msg44253

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/qna25787/latitude-e6410-with-more-than-4gb-memory-will-not-boot-to-uefi-enabled-os?lang=en

The 1 that worked (RAID) see if Legacy boot is enabled -- UEFI disabled..
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:56:23 AM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 07:40:53 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Hi,

Have you tried to run GParted partitioning tool from a live boot? Erasing the whole drive and using the repartition to MS-DOS (MBR) option could be needed.
Also, this cal help if there is a hidden/locked partition on the harddrive.

Oh, and another thing, in the BIOS maybe the "bootblock" is set to protected.
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 10:28:26 PM »

Michael Lantz

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Thanks for the link. My problem is that when I get to the Installation Type screen, there is no option to erase or install with another OS. The screen is empty with no sda's listed at all. When I click on the Change button (+ or -) is when the system crashes. My sense is that there are no visible partitions or drives. This has happened on 4 of my 5 units. Only one installed and the SATA in that unit was set to "Raid".

Mike

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 05:14:29 PM »

minesheep

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

You need to mark the filesystem as root filesystem "/"
Please use https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/tutorials/how-to-install-linux-lite-to-usb-stick-not-ready-yet!/ this tutorial but replace external drive with internal (was it sda in your case). Yes you may need to start the installing again for some unknown bugs if it crashes (boot again from live boot media and install). Since you install it on one computer you can install proprietary drivers if you want. Of cource make changes to internal disk when you install os on it.

No Root File System is Defined
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 02:18:41 PM »

Michael Lantz

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Got in a batch of Dell Latitude E6410 laptops that I am trying to install Linux Lite version4.6 on. All is well until I get into the "Installation Type" screen. It is preset to load "Device for boot loader installation:" to /dev/sda. When I click on "Install Now" I get the following error message: Under the title "No Root File System" box it reads: "No root file system is defined" "Please correct this from the partitioning menu". Then the system takes me back to the prior screen.

Question: I formatted a drive before going through this install procedure. When i click on the "+" under "Change", the install crashes. It looks like the system does not see the sda drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 08:46:49 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section