You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

No discernable effect following install of Lite in windows

Author (Read 3063 times)

Re: No discernable effect following install of Lite in windows
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 11:28:31 AM »

01pjf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A6

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Radeon R4
Thanbk you Stevef,

Esc did it - Pulled up an option to boot Ubuntu, and that called up the grub menu with the familiar 4 options.

It's all up and running very fast, and very well.

I guess I didn't specify properly where to install the linux boot loader?

Anyway; there is no problem any more, and many thanks - I was a bit flummoxed, there!

01Pad

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 10:22:43 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
As @stevef has mentioned, you're looking for the option to select boot order. This may be its own key or enter BIOS to select, it maybe listed as Ubuntu and not Linux Lite...

This system is likely UEFI, and some systems the windows boot manager stays selected until changed.

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 05:02:21 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
Try tapping at the Esc key as the machine is first booting to intercept the boot process and bring up some boot options.
Getting the timing is tricky - if you have a power on password set, just after entering it is the right time.
clueless

No discernable effect following install of Lite in windows
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 04:53:03 AM »

01pjf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A6

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Radeon R4
Hi,
I am new to the forum, but not new to Linux lite which I have installed on another of my laptops with no problem.
On this HP laptop, however, it is causing a lot of stress and wasted time.
I am using the same ISO file as I have successfully used before, this time flashed onto a USB stick, as this laptop has no DVD player.
Lite loads up well - slowly, but well - and I start the install. (I've done this twice following the instructions on the tutorial, and remebering how I did it last time).
Language selected, and no updates/third party software.
I arrive at the next screen and if I chose Keep windows and install linux alongside it, it divides the available disk space in two, and then allows me to play with the sizing of the home and root as long as their total size is 50% of the HDD space. This is not what I am after. 120G is plenty of space to be going on with.
So I select "Something else", and having pre-reserved 120G of unallocated space in Windows disk manager, I select that free space to play with. Selecting Ext4 Journaling file system for each choice, I set up 50Gb of this as root, 10Gb as temp (swap is not an available option on my list) and 50Gb as home.
There is then much whirring and disk access for about 20 mins, then the install routine announces that it has finished. I click on restart, wait for 5 mins and remove the USB stick when requested to do so.
The machine then reboots straight into windows with no sign of grub raising its head at all.  :dft006:
This has happened twice now, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong (I assume it's me).
If anyone can give me some advice, I'd be grateful.
Many thanks.
PS I have no photos as yet, but will try again and supply them if you'd like.

01Pad
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 05:58:45 AM by stevef »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section