You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Newbee questions before installation… will it work on my Notebook?

Author (Read 4638 times)

Re: Newbee questions before installation… will it work on my Notebook?
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 11:56:00 AM »

az2020

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

• CPU: Ryzen 3 3200u

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Radeon Vega 3

• Kernel: 5.x
But the worst is, before I switched to LL I saved all my data to two external HDs, one is NTFS-formatted, the other exFAT.

I'm new to LL, and don't know if it doesn't read those formats. Or, whether it's a matter of you not knowing how to mount them(?). I'm not very proficient with these things. But, I would open a command-line window an type "sudo fdisk -l" . Hopefully you'll see them there as /dev/sdb1 (or sdc1, etc.).

If you see them, the next step would be to mount them.

If the formats aren't readable in LL, I would be looking at the "system rescue" bootable ISOs that are available. (Even "clonezilla." That's a bootable ISO which lets you clone a disk or partition and recognizes various formats. You can get into a shell and access external drives like you can from any booted Linux environment.).

Stay at it. These initial gothcas can be discouraging. But, it's worth it to work through it and be able to run Linux as an alternative to Windows. (I did it late 2014, a few months before Win 10's release. I was hearing how Windows was going to change. I got out then. It can be extremely frustrating. But, it's worth it to get to the other side.).

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 11:35:11 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

exfat is supported in Kernel 5.4 I think.

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 09:26:40 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

There is no sound. In the control panel, I see "Dummy Output", and there is also no Input device though this machine has mic and speakers. I am just guessing that the installer did not recognize the built-in stuff.

Maybe the pulseaudio server hasn't started, try this; open a terminal and type
Code: [Select]
pulseaudio --check  hit enter and next type
Code: [Select]
pulseaudio -D and hit enter again, that should start pulseaudio and your audio will work. If it doesn't, then something else might be happening, but this usually solves that kind of issues.

But the worst is, before I switched to LL I saved all my data to two external HDs, one is NTFS-formatted, the other exFAT. If I plug them in they don't mount. If I launch Gparted I can see the partitions but I can't mount them either. So, at this time I can't bring my data back on this machine.

This one might be tricky and we'll need more info before giving any advice. Could you take a screenshot of gparted showing the drives and post it here so we can take a look at it?

Hope this helps! :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 09:29:09 AM by Moltke »
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 05:40:33 AM »

cxo

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7

Okay, I did it. It works, but some things are strange:

The monitor brightness control works, it is at maximum, but the screen is pretty dim.

There is no sound. In the control panel, I see "Dummy Output", and there is also no Input device though this machine has mic and speakers. I am just guessing that the installer did not recognize the built-in stuff.

But the worst is, before I switched to LL I saved all my data to two external HDs, one is NTFS-formatted, the other exFAT. If I plug them in they don't mount. If I launch Gparted I can see the partitions but I can't mount them either. So, at this time I can't bring my data back on this machine.

What can I do?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 05:43:02 AM by cxo »

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 11:58:35 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

@cxo ,

Consider following the release announcement and the installation guide referenced here:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/release-announcements/linux-lite-4-8-final-released/
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 10:17:05 AM »

cxo

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Wow, that was quick.

Would I need the normal or the UEFI installer?

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 10:04:36 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

@cxo

There is a hardware list where you can see the hardware of other people successfully running Linux Lite.  Go to www.linuxliteos.com and click on Support, then Hardware DB.  In fact, I did a quick search, and here are the results I received when I searched for "w520."  https://www.linuxliteos.com/hardware_results.php?q=w520#search_results

Secondly, you can boot to the Live Media and see if sound, fingerprint reader, printers, and et cetera work before you install the software to your computer.  Printers may require installing separate drivers and doing this in a Live Media session might not work.  You could check Samsung and Brother for compatibility of those printer models with Debian/Ubuntu based Linux.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 10:07:56 AM by torreydale »
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Newbee questions before installation… will it work on my Notebook?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 09:26:27 AM »

cxo

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

My computer is a Lenovo Thinkpad W520, a powerhouse with an i7-2720, 32 GB RAM, two fairly big SSDs, fingerprint reader, USB3, eSata and a color calibration tool - you name it, this was built for photo and video editing.

The printers are a Samsung M288 printer/scanner and a Brother MFC 6490CW2.

Recently I installed Ubuntu 18 LTS and ran into several problems - the machine did not boot properly, sound did not work and more, printer installation felt like a dentist appointment, Wifi was dead slow, Bluetooth did not work and a few more. I could fix some of that but it was no fun at all. So, I am ready to quit the "normal" Ubuntu world.

**As LL is based on Ubuntu, too, do I have to expect the same problems?

Did any of you ever successfully install this OS on a similar machine? **

Intended use:
1. Video editing with Shotcut
2. Audio editing
3. Photo editing
4. organization of media files
5. Standard tasks like web browsing, writing letters, spreadsheets etc.
6. Maybe, maybe use Wine or similar to work with the construction software SketchUp or Vectorworks plus a renderer or so.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:18:04 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section