You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Installed LL UEFI test version 4.2 and upgraded to Legacy 4.8

Author (Read 3097 times)

Re: Installed LL UEFI test version 4.2 and upgraded to Legacy 4.8
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 12:56:51 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x

1. Will there be an UEFI version for the upcoming 5.0 version (or a test version similar to the present 4.2)?

Please read the 4.8 release announcement for the answer to that.

My concern is that I will not be able to upgrade from version 4.8.

You can't upgrade from Series to Series. So no upgrade from 4.8 to 5.0

Re: Installed LL UEFI test version 4.2 and upgraded to Legacy 4.8
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 05:58:36 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

Finally I would really appreciate if someone could help me with my below 3Q:
1. Will there be an UEFI version for the upcoming 5.0 version (or a test version similar to the present 4.2)? My concern is that I will not be able to upgrade from version 4.8.
2. Does anyone know how to change the UEFI to Legacy mode on my PC (ASUS VivoBook Model L203MA)?
3. When installing the LL UEFI test version 4.2 and upgrading thereafter to LL 4.8; will it give the same result as installing the LL 4.8 directly in legacy mode?

@LLUser
Glad a previous post of mine helped :)

To answer -
1 - I hope so too.. I assume there will be one maybe 5.2, if so - we'll have to wait a minute BUT 4.8 will be supported for some time..
2 - I also have a Asus Vivobook; a E402 - with the LL UEFI version, I haven't gave it another thought.. But if I get a minute I could look..  On mine I added a new SSD and solely run LL.
 -- -- Wins is till on the internal mmc..
3 - Yes, its the same OS no difference.. Just the installer piece...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 06:16:22 PM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

Installed LL UEFI test version 4.2 and upgraded to Legacy 4.8
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 03:28:04 PM »

LLUser

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Gold 7505 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics (TGL GT2)

Up through the years I have tried many Linux distros, but always come back to LL. This time I struggled a bit installing LL, since I was not able to change the UEFI to Legacy mode on my PC. After reading the LL website and forums, I installed the LL UEFI test version 4.2 (ticked for encrypted installation) and upgraded thereafter to LL 4.8. It all went like a breeze, and I had only one remark: It took very long time to shut down and boot the system. Booting took up to 1m47s from entering the passphrase to fully launched.

After checking LL forums, I found below:
Run the following commands as suggested by firenice03 over on linuxliteos.com/forum ( https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/installing-linux-lite/failed-to-start-vboxadd-service-(on-boot)/ ):
    sudo apt purge virtualbox*
    sudo systemctl stop vboxadd.service
    sudo systemctl stop vboxadd-service.service
    sudo systemctl disable vboxadd.service
    sudo systemctl disable vboxadd-service.service

After following above advise, my PC now shut down in 7s and boot in 34s from entering the passphrase to fully launched!

Finally I would really appreciate if someone could help me with my below 3Q:
1. Will there be an UEFI version for the upcoming 5.0 version (or a test version similar to the present 4.2)? My concern is that I will not be able to upgrade from version 4.8.
2. Does anyone know how to change the UEFI to Legacy mode on my PC (ASUS VivoBook Model L203MA)?
3. When installing the LL UEFI test version 4.2 and upgrading thereafter to LL 4.8; will it give the same result as installing the LL 4.8 directly in legacy mode?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:32:34 AM by LLUser »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section