You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

New To Linux, Installation Problem

Author (Read 4381 times)

Re: New To Linux, Installation Problem
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 10:18:32 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
@bungelow_ed

1st - Check BIOS, assuming you BIOS matches what I find..
Under Boot Sequence - If 'Windows Boot Manager' is still default - change to LL or Ubuntu (maybe named).
Save and Reboot to confirm....

2nd - If LL still doesnt load.. lets see what's configured...
If you can boot to Windows OR boot the Live media (created LL install USB/CD)..
*How did you create the install media? where downloaded and/or tool to create..

I want to see the partitions mainly.. you can screenshot (see welcome message on how = imgur.com)...
or copy and pasting can work too.

If from LL: in the terminal. I expect to see the "local" aka USB and the "internal" disk.
Code: [Select]
lsblk

If the CLI is troublesome - launching gparted (select the internal - upper right corner is a drop down) *live shouldnt prompt for password... (will need to post pics)
Launching 'disks' may give me some idea...

If you're in Windows - looking for 'Disk Management'  (in Computer Management)

Basically looking for the partitions and how configured.
I expect to see a root partition showing LL was installed.
Typically a /boot partition and maybe a swap ... If you dont have either not a huge deal. ...

BUT as you know Windows could have a few partitions of its own and only 4 primary can be configured on a disk - perhaps / (root) is on an extended or something.. and sizing. -- An idea of what I'm looking to clarify...

If all checks out - we may try a reinstall...

Again thru 'Something Else' and we can format and modify the disk as needed...

but let see what we have to work with :)

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 08:43:16 PM »

bungelow_ed

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel

Sorry - so both OS's are on the same BIOS...
You could have UEFI Windows and Legacy BIOS for LL - One would have to flip BIOS to match which to boot...

So far so good.
Was the external drive attached during install - thinking out loud - what if installed to it and now not attached... long shot  ;)

Good question.  I disconnected the external drive and rebooted.  I got the following: No bootable devices found. F1 to retry. F2 for setup utility. F5 to run onboard diagnostics.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 08:09:33 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I did make the changes above before installation.  Not sure what you mean by "same format."  Can you elaborate?

Sorry - so both OS's are on the same BIOS...
You could have UEFI Windows and Legacy BIOS for LL - One would have to flip BIOS to match which to boot...

So far so good.
Was the external drive attached during install - thinking out loud - what if installed to it and now not attached... long shot  ;)

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 07:55:28 PM »

bungelow_ed

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@bungelow_ed

I merged your 2 topics as they are the same and moved to Installing Linux Lite :)
Can you walk us thru your method of install?

I assume you chose 'Along Side Windows' or did you use 'Something Else'?

Do you recall the partitions created (Root, Boot, or SWAP etc etc..) 

Is this a UEFI or Legacy BIOS (UEFI Off) install? SecureBoot enabled?

Was FastBoot disabled in Windows?

I assume you didn't make any changes to BIOS - so both LL and Windows are in the same format?

*Can you go into BIOS and near boot order - ensure of LL/Ubuntu is selected - also if you choose Windows will windows boot?

I'll look up your model for any possible gotchyas -- Optiplex which model?

@firenice03

I chose "Something Else", as I understood the documentation to indicate that was the proper choice for a dual-boot.

No new partitions were created.  The only HDD changes were to shrink the C:\ in order for LL to have space to partition and install.

UEFI is ON, Legacy BIOS is OFF.  Though, there is an option to ENABLE Legacy Option ROMs to load which is also checked.

Secure Boot is DISABLED.

Fast Boot, I am not sure of status.  I unable to check and I don't recall seeing any instruction in the install doc.

I did make the changes above before installation.  Not sure what you mean by "same format."  Can you elaborate?

Some additional system information that might be of help.  It is a Dell OptiPlex 9030 AIO.  There are two drives; a 500GB SSD and a 5TB WD external.  There is also an external DVD.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 07:14:01 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@bungelow_ed

I merged your 2 topics as they are the same and moved to Installing Linux Lite :)
Can you walk us thru your method of install?

I assume you chose 'Along Side Windows' or did you use 'Something Else'?

Do you recall the partitions created (Root, Boot, or SWAP etc etc..) 

Is this a UEFI or Legacy BIOS (UEFI Off) install? SecureBoot enabled?

Was FastBoot disabled in Windows?

I assume you didn't make any changes to BIOS - so both LL and Windows are in the same format?

*Can you go into BIOS and near boot order - ensure of LL/Ubuntu is selected - also if you choose Windows will windows boot?

I'll look up your model for any possible gotchyas -- Optiplex which model?

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 06:38:05 PM »

bungelow_ed

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

By way of introduction, I am new to both Linux and the Linux Lite Forum.  Just did a dual boot installation from USB on an OptiPlex AIO, Windows 10 and Linux Lite.  Install seemed to go well until the reboot.  The boot stopped at what I assume is the GNU Grub console?  The screen is text with the following: grub> _.  If I type help a list of commands scrolls on the screen.

My impression is that it is at Grub is not loading properly, into the dual boot menu, and that the solution might be to repair the installtion or work around Grub to reinstall Windows and try another Linux Lite install.  Any help, guidance, advice would be deeply appreciated.  The PC is useless in this state.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 11:25:30 PM »

bungelow_ed

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@bungelow_ed
What options/text is on the grub screen.
This can be part of the normal boot process.
The top entry should say Linux Lite and version...
It could say Ubuntu as well.

After so many seconds it should boot to the desktop...

Thanks for responding to my plea for help. There are no options, just the following

GNU GRUB version 2.04
Minima1 BASH-like line editing is supportted. For the first word, TAB lists possible cammand completions.  Anywhere else the TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub> _

I tried booting my Windows 10 recovery.  GRUB seems to load first preventing me from reverting to a Windows only environment.

Thanks Again.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 10:46:47 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@bungelow_ed
What options/text is on the grub screen.
This can be part of the normal boot process.
The top entry should say Linux Lite and version...
It could say Ubuntu as well.

After so many seconds it should boot to the desktop...

New To Linux, Installation Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 08:06:38 PM »

bungelow_ed

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello,
I have been a Windows users since Windows 386, yeah I am old.  After reading a glowing recommendation of Linux Lite as a replacement for Windows I decided to take the plunge.

Anyway, just tried to install Linux Lite on a Windows PC as a dual boot.  Installation seemed to go fine but on reboot I am presented with a prompt for GNU GRUB ver. 2.04 and do not know how to move forward.  Any insights, suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for any help you can offer.
Ed
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 06:10:19 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section