You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

New to Linux and Lite - need to overcome install Issues

Author (Read 7372 times)

Re: New to Linux and Lite - need to overcome install Issues
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 09:36:27 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Thanks, If I do not know how much I did when I created the Flash drive, how do I find out how much I have set aside?
To confirm that you actually do have persistence enabled, do as directed by Scott(0).  If test file is still there after reboot, then persistence is enabled.

To see how much space is available for persistence, just open one of the Home folders (Documents, Pictures, etc.) and look near bottom of the file manager window.  You should see how much space is available there.  Whatever that reads, that's how much is available for persistence.  It can be up to 4GB max. on a typical persistence-enabled USB.

As a side note:  if using a persistent live USB doesn't allow you to properly install the graphics drivers to test setting up your 4 screens, you could also do a real installation to the USB -- same process as installing to the hard drive.  Best to use a 16GB or larger USB for that, but 8GB USB will be good enough for testing purposes if you don't have a larger one.  Only caveat with that is that you will have to manually direct the installer to create and use partitions on the USB only.  And pay special attention to where the bootloader gets installed.  The installer will automatically fill in the MBR of the internal drive for the bootloader.  That will need to be changed to the MBR of the USB.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 07:42:16 PM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Thanks, If I do not know how much I did when I created the Flash drive, how do I find out how much I have set aside?

Please confirm that persistence exists. Is a test file saved to the home folder still there after rebooting?

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 07:02:32 PM »

Racco

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 11:16:42 AM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Hi Racco,

The amount/size of persistent data available is specified by a numeric value when creating the LiveUSB.

Here is a link to step 3 from the Live USB Creator user's guide.
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/help/guide/step3

In the middle of that page it says .....
If you don't know how much to give to persistent data, give between 300 MB and 500 MB. If you intend to make an heavy usage of your Linux, choose more than 1 GB.

Selecting 0 MB means no persistence, only live mode. Any change made in your Linux will be lost on reboot.

Does that answer your question?

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 01:03:21 AM »

Racco

I am not sure what "specify" means in the context of the use of the program I used (Noted in my last post).  Persistence was step 3 of making the USB.  I downloaded the program that makes the USB that holds the boot program.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 07:57:38 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

When you created the LiveUSB, did you specify 'persistence'?

Persistence creates an extra area on the USB drive to store anything you add or change. If persistence is not specified, any changes you make WON'T be saved, meaning you'll have to reinstall these things every time...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

Sent from BLU Advance 4.0 with Tapatalk

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 02:05:25 AM »

Racco

Thanks, I did create a bootable USB using a download program from http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/help/guide/preparation
And was able to boot Linux Lite good.  I downloaded a graphic driver that looks it may work, however after the installation was complete it asked me to restart to complete the installation I chickened out and shut the machine down.  May someone can clarify for me.  If I go back and forth between Windows and Linux, will I have install drivers every time each way?

Anyone else has any ideas about the other issues I am trying to resolve?

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 02:56:50 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
You're going to need to install proprietary Nvidia graphics driver to set your monitors up properly.  That and possibly a package called arandr if the driver doesn't solve issue itself.  Problem is you can't do that on a live DVD because you'll need to reboot for settings to take effect and that will re-start you back on square one.  (Can't write changes to a read-only DVD.)

Best bet is to make a bootable USB stick with a "persistence" file that will allow you to make changes that carry forward to future boots.  Then you can run the "Install Drivers" program under Menu -> Settings -> Install Drivers to find Nvidia drivers.  Here are a couple of programs for creating a live USB with persistence from your downloaded ISO file:
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Use a 2GB or larger USB stick.  Max size for persistence file is 4GB.  Eg.  If using an 8GB stick, ISO will take approx. 1GB itself, then max out persistence at 4GB -- rest of space will be wasted.  (There are ways around that, but too complicated to bother going into for now and 4GB is much more than enough for testing purposes.)
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

New to Linux and Lite - need to overcome install Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 04:36:32 PM »

Racco

after several tries I settled to run Linux Lite (LL) out of a boot CD.  originally tried to install along side Windows 7 but failed.  On the second boot I settled for running out of the boot disk and saw a few things I'd like to know if and/or how they are fixable.

Issues I'd like to learn to fix:
1. The LL tabletop is smaller than my monitor screen (monitor is 24", Tabletop 21")
2. Twice, when I shutdown it hangs.... and I am forced to do a forced shutdown
3. I am a Trader and use 4 monitors out of 2 graphic cards - LL repeats the same screen in 2 monitors.
4. Ultimately, I'd like too be able to install LL along side Windows (until I am confident of my ability)
5. I would like LL to operate out of (my current) C: drive and store all Data in E: drive

My System Hardware-wise is:
Z87 Deluxe Motherboard, 1707 Firmware (USB 3.0 able)
Intel i7-4770K CPU @ 3.5 GHz
16.0 GB RAM
2 NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 Graphics
4 Monitors (2 LG 21", 2 Dell 24")
One Intel SSD 520 Series 240 GB where the OS and Programs reside
One Seagate 1TB 3.5" SATA 7200 RPM HDD for Data (it contains all Documents, Pictures, Music, an Videos)

Thank you for Linux Lite.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section