You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Need to fix custom settings in xfcong

Author (Read 1933 times)

Re: Need to fix custom settings in xfcong
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 06:11:41 AM »

mogydad

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium 4

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82845
Thanks for the ideas/suggestions!  Here's where I am now.

Figured out how to get out of the black screen.  Two options work.

1. Reboot, then amend with "nomodeset."  This gets me a nice centered, 640x480 display that cannot be expanded to 1024x768.  It also goes away when I shut down and reboot - back to the black screen.  However, I was able to access the xfconf file and reverse the changes I made earlier through Settings Editor. Not really sure if any of that was actually causing problems. Sometimes it boots to a black screen, sometimes it boots to a partial screen - 640x768  ... in upper left corner. 

2.The second option is the reboot and select recovery which puts me exactly where I want to be ... 1024 display and the options to select 800 or 640 screen display.  I think maybe recovery is booting me into a "live" version of the program??

I know this partial screen issue has been earlier identified with this model 1100 with the Intel 845 graphics.  I found  web search references with several "resolved" solutions - none of which worked for me.

update bios.  Already current
update Intel microcode.  Done - no efffect
i845.modeset=0 Done - no effect
xforcevesa Done - no effect

So ... how do I change this install to retain the boot setting which take effect when I boot through the recovery option???  That will fix this problem.

Please excuse my ignorance of commands/terminology.  My understanding of Linux is basically limited to a personal opinion that I really like it, and would like to use it on this old machine!

Thanks again!

Re: Need to fix custom settings in xfcong
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 10:36:08 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
Couple of things..

You maybe able to correct your conf file from TTY (all command line) - CTRL+ALT+F1
- You'll be prompted for login - if you recall the path/file you could use vi to correct.
I'm not sure what file was updated..

If you have a recent Systemback backup/restore point you can restore to it.. Same TTY process then
Code: [Select]
sudo systemback-cliYou'll be prompted which restore point - choose and follow prompts

-- Once corrected -- Use "Display" to change resolutions..
 <Menu<Setting<Display

** UPDATED **
Reading more and looking at Settings Editor more in-depth thinking you may have activated the VGA port.
If you have a monitor - plug it in (VGA Port) and see if you have a display.. Then you should be able to correct.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 10:44:41 PM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

Need to fix custom settings in xfcong
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 11:58:22 AM »

mogydad

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium 4

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82845
I have an old Dell Inspiron 1100 which has an issue displaying only a partial screen once I install Linux distros.  This AM I installed Linux Lite and experienced the same problem.  Not familiar with this software, and working in 1/4 of the normal screen, I stumbled into Settings Editor and manually changed the resolution from 640x480 to 1024x768.  I then rebooted and ended up with a black screen. 

I forced a restart and booted into recovery which started up and displayed 1024x768.  Thought everything was good ... but on a second restart, found that normal boot ends up with a black screen.

How might I correct the problem I created in xfconf?  Secondly, any ideas how I might resolve the original problem with the partial screen display?

Thank you in advance ...

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section