You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Need help with Linux Lite boot issue please

Author (Read 15488 times)

Re: Need help with Linux Lite boot issue please
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 07:04:38 PM »

aviceda

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb
Am having similar problems to Len, have multiple distros plus Win7 (which I rarely use these days), installed LL and was very impressed. Unfortunately I wanted to keep Mint as my premier distro so applied 'Boot-Repair' https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair#Getting_Boot-Repair , this appeared to fix the boot-order but I was then unable to load LL. 
Would like to continue using LL but as I can't boot it am unable to fix Grub and unfortunately have run out of ideas.
Could anyone advise?
I think it might be a good idea to provide other options for loading Grub rather than the current one IMHO
Regards,
Tom

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 09:47:52 PM »

Lend27

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i7-4790K

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVidia GTX760
firenice03 is right. Our grub has been altered as we target Windows users, not existing linux folk who dual, triple boot etc. Our grub is modified to make it easier for new folk who want to try linux, whilst holding onto Windows. This is quite deliberate.

Jerry,

Would it be possible in 2.8 to provide an option during install that allows a user to forego installing grub at all? That option is included in most distros.

Thanks
Len

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 07:37:05 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
@Lend27,

In other words, due to alterations to grub in LL, easiest thing to do is install LL's grub to the MBR of drive so it controls booting.

Boot into your installation of LL and enter these commands in a terminal to have its grub installed to the MBR of the boot drive.  (If boot drive is not "/dev/sda", substitute correct drive for your setup.)

Code: [Select]
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub

Next reboot should show all OS's and all (including LL) will now boot properly.

If you decide to delete LL from computer at some point in the future, just boot into whatever distro you want to control booting and install grub to the MBR in same fashion to take control away from LL.  Then you can delete/replace LL and still be able to boot into remaining OS's.  (If you forget to take boot control away from LL before deleting it, you can also re-install grub from live dvd/usb of whatever distro you want to have boot control -- so it's not that big a deal if you forget.)
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 02:19:08 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
firenice03 is right. Our grub has been altered as we target Windows users, not existing linux folk who dual, triple boot etc. Our grub is modified to make it easier for new folk who want to try linux, whilst holding onto Windows. This is quite deliberate.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 02:17:13 PM »

Lend27

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Is there a way to make it "not like to be the main"?  :)

Thanks!
Len

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 11:32:08 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
Have you tried updating grub?
Boot into LL from terminal
Code: [Select]
update-grub
Not sure the distro install order...
But LL likes to to be the main...
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

Need help with Linux Lite boot issue please
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 08:41:37 AM »

Lend27

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

When I install Linux Lite on the same computer as my 2 other Linux distros, Linux Lite is not accessable from the same grub boot screen.
Let me explain....
I have a Manjaro distro and a Debian distro on the same computer. I installed Linux lite and all went well. When I rebooted the grub screen indicated all 3 distros on the boot list. When I select Linux Lite, it gives me a console screen where it says file not found, press any key. When I press a key it takes me back to the grub screen. The other 2 distros boot fine. The only way I can access Linux Lite is to go into the bios and select the LL partition from the boot list. LL then boots fine.
Is there a way to fix this where I can access LL from my main grub boot screen along with the other 2 distros?
All distros are installed legacy, not UEFI.
Thanks!

Len

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section