You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

[SOLVED] Trouble with GRUB re-installation

Author (Read 35398 times)

Re: [SOLVED] Trouble with GRUB re-installation
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2015, 04:33:53 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
Yes, hopefully it can be solved... I have more info... but will post to new thread.
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2015, 03:49:35 PM »

antenor

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i3 M370 2.4GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics Controller
Just keep calm,

and always read what gold_finger writes in his posts because he is the one who guided
at least me in solving the problem mentioned in this post with his deep knowledge in
Linux and certainly care for help.

Best regards

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2015, 02:25:41 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

I have an an update... Not a positive one. :(

To avoid taking this tread completely of topic, I'm going to start a new thread.
"NUC Install Issues - nvme pcie drive..??"

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:37:38 PM by Wirezfree »
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2015, 08:10:15 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

• CPU: i7

• VIDEO CARD: nvidia m860
Not a problem.  8)
If you need any help multibooting let me know. Legacy though ! LOL
-As for UEFI, antenor covered that. gold_finger is definitely the person to ask about UEFI, or just follow his guides.
Member www.eff.org
*Hardware hacks are my speciality.
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.
--Xerox field service engineer, printer repairs,network analyst.

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2015, 03:59:07 PM »

antenor

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

So go for it man,

you have all the tools, if a newbie like me did it you surely can too! :) :)

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2015, 03:47:29 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

@technomancer
Thanks again for the further details, very much appreciated.
@antenor,
No problems, small and subtle choices can make all the difference :)

Computers Early days:

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2015, 03:28:41 PM »

antenor

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello Wirezfree,
I am sorry for once again for not having given you all the details. I wrote you that after Mint 's
installation and having put its GRUB on its / you open up a terminal.
technomancer is absolutely right on what he pointed out, you have to restart your machine and
after booting in LITE - not any other OS - you open up a terminal and update its GRUB so it covers
the freshly installed Mint as well.
However, what technomancer and me are doing here is giving you just a practical way for the
triple booting system you want. It is actually gold_finger 's answers you have to study to really
benefit yourself by his knowledge, because HE IS THE MAN!!!  :) :)

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2015, 02:19:14 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

• CPU: i7

• VIDEO CARD: nvidia m860
For Wirezfree

Hello Wirezfree,

I am sorry for not telling you the whole story but I guessed you would catch the clue
by reading what gold_finger answered me.
Given there is Windows 7 installed on the machine, you install Lite beside it, putting
GRUB on MBR, so you will have a dual boot install with Lite first on the booting list as
I already wrote you before and Windows second.
Afterwards you install Mint putting its GRUB on its / and NOT on MBR. You open up your
terminal giving the command   sudo update-grub
and that 's it. You got the triple booting machine you wanted.   ;) :) :)

I use this same method and it works ! After installing another OS, boot to LinuxLite and---> sudo update-grub
Just remember if you want to triple boot, quad boot, etc.-> to always install grub to the root ( / ) of the drive you installed to. (linux)
I am booting 7 OS's using this method and multiple Hdd's.
I have multiple hdd's with win7,xp, 8 and linux (several versions) and use LinuxLite grub as the main bootloader.
If you break the boot, there is a guide here to get it setup again.

* side note- you must have windows installed FIRST to any HDD in order to have no issues. It's A nightmare if you reverse the order.
Member www.eff.org
*Hardware hacks are my speciality.
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.
--Xerox field service engineer, printer repairs,network analyst.

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2015, 07:16:27 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

Thanks both for the clarifications and further details, much appreciated.
Now I need to get on and do it... I will post back

Computers Early days:

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2015, 06:00:22 AM »

antenor

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello Wirezfree,

I am sorry for not telling you the whole story but I guessed you would catch the clue
by reading what gold_finger answered me.
Given there is Windows 7 installed on the machine, you install Lite beside it, putting
GRUB on MBR, so you will have a dual boot install with Lite first on the booting list as
I already wrote you before and Windows second.
Afterwards you install Mint putting its GRUB on its / and NOT on MBR. You open up your
terminal giving the command   sudo update-grub
and that 's it. You got the triple booting machine you wanted.   ;) :) :)

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2015, 05:48:35 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
@Wirezfree,

antenor is correct on both counts:  only one Swap needed and will be used by both Mint and LL; and install Mint's grub to its Root partition and LL's grub to MBR of whatever drive is set to boot the computer (I'm assuming that will be /dev/sda).

If friend doesn't use hibernation, then you could get away with no Swap, but might not be bad idea to have a small 1-2GB Swap just in case it's ever needed.  For hibernation make one Swap slightly larger than 16GB.

If installing Mint first, you can install grub to MBR so that you're able to boot into new install and check it before installing LL.  But be sure to then install LL's grub to MBR (overwriting Mint's) afterwards to make sure LL is in charge of booting.  If you install Mint after LL, then make sure you direct boot loader to its root partition.  Then log into LL and update grub to add Mint to boot menu:
Code: [Select]
sudo update-grub

LL's grub code was altered a bit to make dual boots with Windows easier, (I think), but causes errors and won't boot LL when trying to multi-boot with other Linux distros if their grub is in charge of booting.  So, when multi-booting with other distros always make sure LL's grub is the one installed to the MBR and controlling the boot process to avoid having to manually edit grub files to boot LL.

Just to clear up any remaining confusion, if no grub is put on the MBR that would mean Windows boot loader remains in charge of booting.  In that case, Windows would not "see" the Linux distro(s) installed and you wouldn't be able to boot into them.  That's when you would need a tool like EasyBCD installed on Windows.  Grub on the MBR will recognize Windows and boot it, but Windows boot loader won't do that with Linux.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 04:34:12 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

@antenor,
If I read gold_finger correctly boot loader should be disk#1 mbr, and not / of OS otherwise I would need to use EasyBCD.

Computers Early days:

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2015, 03:37:48 AM »

antenor

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello Wirezfree,

please let me speak by what I gained from this recent experience I had which by gold_finger 's guidance had a happy ending!
Install Mint 's GRUB on its / partition and Lite 's one on the MBR. This way you are going to avoid GRUB conflicts.
And yes, it is always good to have swap memory partition, your friend might won't need it but it is better to have it than miss
it, since he doesn't have a problem with his drive 's space.
But no, you won't have to create two separate swap partitions, one will work for both Linux OS.  :) :) :)

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 01:53:45 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

@gold_finger
as always really good useful guidance/pointers... :)
The NUC was barebones, so he added a M2 NVME SSD and a regular 2.5"HD

I set the BIOS for Legacy & turned off secure boot.
I installed Win7, that was a challenge Win7 does not see NVME drives out of the box.
So had to install to 2nd drive, add 2 MS hotfixes, then "clone" to NVME, So Win7 installed and working.

I had all ready been thinking about pre-partitioning, given what I think/know he will want
disk#1
> Win7 already installed
> / Linux Mint Root(ext4)
> / Linux Lite Root(ext4)
> spare
disk#2
> D:\ already done for Win7
>/home Linux Mint(ext4)
>/home Linux Lite(ext4)
>/mnt/files(NTFS) for mounting in all OS's F:\ for windows and mount it as files for Linux

Given he's got 16GB ram, he runs 2/3 VM's to do various things in, and on reading/research I think swap is not needed,

but it could be added in spare space on disk#1,
either a shared swap between Mint/Lite, but then no hibernation allowed.
or create Extended partition with 2 swap partitions. but 2 X 16GB+ swap files is 32GB+ of potentially wasted disk space.

Computers Early days:

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 12:59:24 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
@Wirezfree,

Setting up Root on disk one and Home and Swap on disk two is fine.  Yes, you'll need to manually make each of those partitions.  (Swap won't get automatically made with a "Something else" install.)  You can either make them from partitioning page of the installer (using "Something else" option), or you can make them ahead of time with GParted on live LL, then set mount points during "Something else" install.

If you make them ahead of time, when you get to partition selection page of "Something else" install highlight your pre-made Root partition and click the "Change" button.  That will bring up a window where you tell it to:
  • Use as = Ext4 file system
  • Size = keep as you already made it in GParted
  • Mount point = "/"
  • Format box can be either checked or not (since you already formatted it in GParted)
Do same thing for the Home partition except change mount point to "/home".

No need to do anything with pre-made Swap partition.  Installer will recognize and use it automatically.

"Device for boot loader installation" should be the MBR of the boot drive (drive 1), not the LL root partition.  So, likely "/dev/sda".  If you choose the LL root partition it won't boot unless you do something like install EasyBCD to Windows and add LL boot option to that.

If machine came with Win 7 pre-installed, I'd highly recommend that your friend make a set of reinstall/repair DVDs for Win 7 if they haven't already done so before installing LL.  (There is usually a way to do that built into the system from manufacturer.)  That will make things easier to fix if something gets messed up later.  Also, if you'll be needing to shrink any Windows partitions to make room for the LL install, best to defragment the drive(s) and do the shrinking from Windows disk manager ahead of time to minimize potential problems.

Quote from: Wirezfree
Having never done an "Along Side" install, does it still give you the partition size & location options..??
I've never done that type of install either, but answer to question is "No".  It will allow allotting overall size to use for LL, but it will then use that space to automatically make only a Root and Swap partition to sizes it determines are best.  You won't be able to make a separate Home partition and won't be able to specify which partitions go on which drive.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section