Software - Support > Installing Linux Lite

mid-2011 macbook air stuck on "updates and other offers"

(1/1)

Şerban S.:

--- Quote from: nleco on August 27, 2022, 09:01:15 PM ---I am trying to install the latest version of Linux Lite. I used BalenaEtcher to burn the ISO on a USB. I was able to boot the USB and begin the install, but it hangs on "updates and other software" after I uncheck all boxes and hit "next".

I tried loading the live version off the usb and removed all partition on the hard drive.

Im not sure if I'm missing a step.

--- End quote ---

Hi! :)

I presume that your laptop has an UEFI firmware. If this is the case, then maybe you downloaded the wrong ISO version.
The Mac, provides UEFI boot and if you burned the backwards compatibility ISO, then it will hang, since it was designed for BIOS firmware.
Another approach, is to check if the UEFI menu screen, has something like "Legacy UEFI", or "Compatibility Mode".
If it does, then make it active and restart the installation process.
If it still fails, rewrite the media with the appropriate ISO.
As far as I remember, the default download image is for UEFI machines.
Another issue, might be "Secure boot: ON". Disable the Secure Boot, if this is the case.
Tell us if it worked! ;)

Best regards! :)

Hanzo:
Before running installer make the following:
Open terminal.

--- Code: ---# sudo su -# blkid
--- End code ---
Check the name it will give you for your cdrom device. For example "Linux Lite 6.0 - Release amd64"

--- Code: ---# add-crdom add --cdrom /cdrom -r
--- End code ---
As a name add name from the step above.

--- Code: ---# df
--- End code ---
Check which device is mounted as /cdrom. For example /dev/sdb1

Then run installer.

P.S.
If you'll check

--- Code: ---# ps -ef --forest | less
--- End code ---
You'll find, that you're stuck on "apt-get install" step.
And while trying to run it manually, you'll get "please insert  the disk labeled <bla-bla> in the drive /media/cdrom/ and press [Enter]"
It's stuck on step

--- Code: ---# mount /dev/<device from the step above> /media/cdrom
--- End code ---

Guys, can't you fix it?

nleco:
I am trying to install the latest version of Linux Lite. I used BalenaEtcher to burn the ISO on a USB. I was able to boot the USB and begin the install, but it hangs on "updates and other software" after I uncheck all boxes and hit "next".

I tried loading the live version off the usb and removed all partition on the hard drive.

Im not sure if I'm missing a step.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version