You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Locked out after update

Author (Read 4226 times)

Re: Locked out after update
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2021, 03:16:48 PM »

Frobozz

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Final update:

I found a 32bit Zorin ISO that I had DL'ed a while back, and tried to install that on the laptop. Failed the exact same way. LiveCD only 100%

I've given up on the LL 5.4 VM's and deleted them, I'll just stick with the LL 3.8 VM that I use, Firefox is a bit older but I use 3.8 on a 32 bit laptop anyways.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 03:18:25 PM by Frobozz »

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2021, 01:21:55 PM »

Frobozz

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Try the image from below for Vbox, https://www.osboxes.org/linux-lite/
...beyond that as far as a bare metal hardware install, zero the disk or partition first and then install. You may or may not have a hardware issue though I doubt it is a serious one, more likely PCI bus related, or RAM access related, or you misaligned disk segments which can happen when you work without pre-partitioning old OS segments.
TC

Thanks! It's a laptop so there's not a lot I can do. Memtest86 for the RAM and testing Multiple SSD HD on a desktop. Same results.

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2021, 03:53:49 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Try the image from below for Vbox, https://www.osboxes.org/linux-lite/
...beyond that as far as a bare metal hardware install, zero the disk or partition first and then install. You may or may not have a hardware issue though I doubt it is a serious one, more likely PCI bus related, or RAM access related, or you misaligned disk segments which can happen when you work without pre-partitioning old OS segments.
TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2021, 01:10:31 PM »

Frobozz

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Can you expand on where/when it fails...

If you could detail your process step by step, option chosen. it may help..
When installing do you choose to update? etc etc

Each time I tell installation to totally format the drive. It always finds the previous failed install.
It seems it always fails with that progress bar about 3/4 the way along, it's quite far into the process.
I don't remember exactly what it says it's doing, maybe 'copying files' it's unattended.
I just get a black box that says 'fatal error'.

The first time I tried to install I did choose to update etc. as it installs, all following tries I didn't bother.

As you can see from my previous post, I tried just about everything. More than half dozen attempts.
Only thing left really is DL a different distro, but my connection is rural I don't relish a multi-gigabyte DL.

I really think there's a HW issue and that's why it initially failed to boot.
The VM issue, no clue what's going on there, but I have updated the 5.4 machine at least once with
Virtualbox 6.1.22 without issue but suspect it may still be some conflict with that?

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 08:53:42 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

Can you expand on where/when it fails...

If you could detail your process step by step, option chosen. it may help..
When installing do you choose to update? etc etc
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 01:20:20 AM »

Frobozz

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I wanted you to enter password in ID so you can verify it looks correct... but

Oh, yes, KB is OK tested that before. On the VM my password is.... password. I've tried it SO many times, with both cases.

If you tried to reinstall and it didn't finish the install - it is most likely corrupt and hence why cannot log in...

Try a reinstall - make sure you format the root partition... *Back Up what you can* it will be gone..
*Knowing how you have the disk set up and the install process might be helpful too..

On the laptop tried multiple installation media and 2 different HD, always fails at same point in progress bar.
I suspect there is something wrong with the HD controller chip, I tested RAM. LiveCD only now.

On the VMs, BOTH locking the exact same way after normal-seeming update with no warnings seems unlikely from corruption.

I've updated several systems all physical without fail.
I have VB; although a slightly older version - I'll try to test tonight...

Try with Virtualbox 6.1.22 it's not the latest but as I said it's what's current in the Mint repository and I always use the same version for Windows

Any other system modification in place or packages??

Nothing. What are the chances of a more up-to-date 5.4 ISO? What's the probable? possible? likely?  date for 5.6?

Both for my laptop (LiveCD only now it seems) and VM I'm probably going to have to wait for either.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 01:49:33 AM by Frobozz »

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 06:17:36 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Tried using my username 'linuxlite' as P/W, no-go.
I wanted you to enter password in ID so you can verify it looks correct... but

OK, a bit more detail...

On Monday, my HP laptop refused to boot. HP logo just repeats, no boot text at all.
So, I tried to re-install 5.4 and it keeps crashing at the same point. Tried several times.
Long story short, I think it's hardware. Currently running as a LiveCD.
If you tried to reinstall and it didn't finish the install - it is most likely corrupt and hence why cannot log in...

Try a reinstall - make sure you format the root partition... *Back Up what you can* it will be gone..
*Knowing how you have the disk set up and the install process might be helpful too..

So, I ran update on my Virtualbox Linuxlite 5.4 on both my Mint box and my Win 10 box.
They have BOTH locked up like this with the login screen. It's Virtualbox 6.1.22 (this is what's current in the Mint repository)

I'd prefer to have no password whatsoever on my Virtualbox machines, but that's not an option for some reason.

I'd just delete them and try again, but since the ISO seems to have not been updated since April 1st, this will just probably happen again.
You should be able to set to auto login but yeah a password even if minimal - for sudo and other elevated access...

I've updated several systems all physical without fail.
I have VB; although a slightly older version - I'll try to test tonight...

Any other system modification in place or packages??

Just thoughts..
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 03:51:15 PM »

Frobozz

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Tried using my username 'linuxlite' as P/W, no-go.

OK, a bit more detail...

On Monday, my HP laptop refused to boot. HP logo just repeats, no boot text at all.
So, I tried to re-install 5.4 and it keeps crashing at the same point. Tried several times.
Long story short, I think it's hardware. Currently running as a LiveCD.

So, I ran update on my Virtualbox Linuxlite 5.4 on both my Mint box and my Win 10 box.
They have BOTH locked up like this with the login screen. It's Virtualbox 6.1.22 (this is what's current in the Mint repository)

I'd prefer to have no password whatsoever on my Virtualbox machines, but that's not an option for some reason.

I'd just delete them and try again, but since the ISO seems to have not been updated since April 1st, this will just probably happen again.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 05:53:05 PM by Frobozz »

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 08:47:33 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Since it is your ID, try typing the password in the username field - you're wanting to ensure CAPS or NUM Locks are not enable and the password is being entered correctly.

If perhaps its a case of forgotten password...
You can reset the password by following the instruction here:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#respassword

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 08:41:23 PM »

Frobozz

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Yes, I tried leaving it blank.

'linuxlite' IS my username, the only other choice is 'Other', but no clue what I might put as 'Other'

As I said, never seen this screen before, when I installed in set up I clicked the box 'Log in automatically' or something to that effect

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 07:04:29 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@Frobozz

Have you tried leaving the password blank/empty?
Can you change the username to your own and log in?

Can you describe the screen, is it the typical log in?

Locked out after update
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 06:39:22 PM »

Frobozz

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I have 5.4, and after update today 8/10 I get a login box for 'linuxlite'.

I have never seen this login box ever before.

It won't accept my password, the one I used to install these updates.

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 06:12:57 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section