Software - Support > Installing Linux Lite

Linux Lite Grub Dual Boot Windows XP

<< < (2/4) > >>

stevef:
No need to apologise - I still have a Windows98 machine.

For your old hardware, there are still several Linux distributions with on going support for 32-bit architecture.
Search for "32 bit linux" and check some of the articles.  The itsfoss article looks a good place to start.

I don't understand "scattered SSD recollect".  If you mean your existing partitioning, then I don't know if there is anything you can salvage from them.  If you have data on the bootable Linux Lite 3.8 then you need to save this to a safe place before doing anything.  If you need to check for data on the other Linux partitions, then you should be able to mount these from the bootable OS.  Let us know if this doesn't make sense.

I think your XP data is probably lost - maybe forensic techniques might find something but I don't know.

After saving what data you can, use a disk partitioning tool (like gparted) booted from a CD/USB to clear the existing partitions.

If your intention is to re-install XP, use gparted to create an NTFS partition leaving the rest of the disk unallocated.  100G would be plenty for the NTFS though the actual choice of size is yours.  Boot from your bootable XP installation media and follow the instructions allowing it to install into the NTFS partition.

Once that's done and tested, install your chosen 32 bit Linux to the remaining 400G, following the 'dual boot' instructions that come with it.

If your intention is just to install your 32 bit Linux (without dual booting) then you can probably allow the chosen Linux to do all the partitioning.

W-Exit:
 :imsorry and I do agree.
I do not mind to make this old Laptop a Linux-only machine since I hate to waste old hardware ...
However I am still seeking advice on what to look at and how to do (e.g. the scattered SSD recollect, which Linux to install).
I believe another option was to run XP in a virtual machine next .... ?? I saw that LL is available in 5.0 and 32 bit ??
Even a point me to the right forum pages will be appreciated.
best regards again
Gunter

stevef:
Gunter,
You really should consider doing something safer.  Both XP and LL 3.8 are unsupported and should not be used - certainly not connected to the internet.

Installing old software from original media means the system would have widely known vulnerabilities which got patched during support lifetime.   There are some suggestions on the internet that XP updates (up to 2014) are still possible but who knows if the download sources are legitimate ?

W-Exit:
Dear All, thanks a lot for the replies ....
I am now clear that only a rebuild from scratch will probably solve my issue.
However I am still looking for advice on how to do so (e.g. recollect the scattered partitions)
and off coarse on how to handle this forum (e.g. continue a post, ask questions ...)
best regards
Gunter 

Şerban S.:

--- Quote from: stevef on November 01, 2022, 09:04:45 AM ---I think the disk is 500GB, not 1TB.  The fdisk numbers add up to 465.7 GB which would reflect the original post which says 500GB.

--- End quote ---

You're right! :)
I added up twice the size of the Extended partition. I got used to GPT lately and it seems I forgot the times when I used MSDOS Extended... :o

The real size, is: 117 + 348,7 = 465,7 GB = 476,876.8 MB = raughly, 500 GB. In fact, 480 GB.

/dev/sda1  *                                      117G  83 Linux
/dev/sda2                                       348.7G   5  Extended

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version