You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux newbie: Replacing Win7 with Linux Lite - installer issue

Author (Read 6659 times)

Re: Linux newbie: Replacing Win7 with Linux Lite - installer issue
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 02:48:37 PM »

Zontar41

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
That's a funny story! Sounds like something I would do.   :o

I'm sure I'll have many more rookie mistakes as I learn more about Linux. I haven't tried to install any new software yet, so we'll see how that goes.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 08:33:01 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Lol! Not so rookie my friend!

I was dispached for a server down a while back because they had an outage the sever didn't come back up.
Problem : A professional IT admin left a DVD in the server drive and didn't reconfigure the BIOS du boot from harddisk only. A whole company was down because of a forgotten DVD disc.

Now we don't miss the chance to remind him about the incident when we can. ;)

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 07:25:43 AM »

Zontar41

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I would like to thank both firenice03 and Moltke for their replies and suggestions. I appreciate your assistance.

It turns out the solution to this issue was a rookie mistake on my part. As Moltke suggested, during my earlier install attempt I *did* have the external USB drive connected to a backside USB port of my HP desktop. So the install process saw that USB drive plugged in, didn't know what to do with it, and generated that message:

"The installer has detected that the following disks have mounted partitions: /dev/sdg

Do you want the installer to try to unmount the partitions on these disks before continuing?  If you leave them mounted, you will not be able to create, delete, or resize partitions on these disks, but you may be able to install to existing partitions there."

So I unplugged the USB drive and rebooted LL 4.2 from the Live USB. This time the install went smoothly, with no issues or errors. I completely erased my old Win7 OS and within 20 minutes I had Linux Lite 4.2 installed on my system. All seems to be working well so far.

Thanks again for the support. Hopefully I'll learn enough to be able to help others on this forum.

Regards,

Z

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 10:09:11 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
Hi @Zontar41
When I select the "Install Linux Lite" icon on my desktop, right after the language preference question, this message appears on my screen:

"The installer has detected that the following disks have mounted partitions: /dev/sdg[/code]

Was the external USB drive connected? If so, unplugg it and try again. I'm not sure /dev/sdg points to the USB drive but better safe than sorry. So, unplugg the USB drive, plug in the USB stick containing Linux Lite 4.2, restart your pc and since you already tried the Live version and  checked evrything worked fine then this time choose "install Linux Lite" and follow the instructions. If the message doesn't appear again then /sdg was the USB drive, if it does then you'll have to find out what it is either by opening a terminal and running
Code: [Select]
df -h or
Code: [Select]
lsblk or by running gparted in live mode.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:31:22 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
@Zontar41  Not certain what /sdg is pointing to.. Most likely the Windows install.
Viewing in gparted (partioning) would show, as would df -h from the command line... (could post back if otherwise)

You should be able tell it to go ahead and unmount it...

Additionally a few things you may want to be aware of..
- Win7 - disable fastboot/quickboot (https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fast-startup-windows-8)
- Is the system a 64bit system? LL4.x only supports 64; if 32bit LL3.x is advised.
- Is this a UEFI system? - Disable UEFI (enable Legacy) and disable Secureboot --- or use the UEFI installer version..

Once all these parameters are out of the way, should be a smooth install...

When the installer kicks off, there will be an option to wipe the disk and use it all (should default to this option).

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

Linux newbie: Replacing Win7 with Linux Lite - installer issue
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 08:02:23 PM »

Zontar41

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hello All. I just registered and this is my first post here. I'm having an issue with my Linux Lite install. I searched in the forum but didn't see an answer so hopefully this has not been asked 100 times already...

I'm a rookie with Linux, and this is my first install attempt. Basically I want to completely erase my current Windows 7 OS on an old HP desktop and replace it with Lite 4.2. I've backed up my Win7 data files to external USB drive, so there's nothing in the Win7 OS that I need to keep.

I downloaded the Lite 4.2 ISO image, verified it, then created a Lite 4.2 bootable USB using Rufus on Win7. I restart the PC using the USB drive and it boots the PC into Linux Lite Live mode. So far so good.

When I select the "Install Linux Lite" icon on my desktop, right after the language preference question, this message appears on my screen:

"The installer has detected that the following disks have mounted partitions: /dev/sdg

Do you want the installer to try to unmount the partitions on these disks before continuing?  If you leave them mounted, you will not be able to create, delete, or resize partitions on these disks, but you may be able to install to existing partitions there."

I'm not sure what this question is asking me and didn't know how to respond, so I backed out and quit the installation process. My guess would be to answer Yes but wanted to make sure before going any farther.

Has anyone in this forum seen this message before, and if so, how should I answer the question?

Thanks very much.

Z

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section