You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

How do I install Linux Lite to a USB

Author (Read 24964 times)

Re: How do I install Linux Lite to a USB
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 07:49:00 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello,
click modify at right of first post in your thread, select solved in the drop menu. This is not available in some forum areas.

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 02:27:53 PM »

rondi

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-3770

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4000
As posted on a different thread--I go the Persistence to install by using Universal_USB-Installer to installed the LiLi iso. It has a check box to check if you want Persisstence and asks you the size you want. The installer that is recommended in the LiLi install manual does allow Persistence with version 3.8.

I would mark this solved--if I knew how. So mod--mark it solved please
Ron

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 08:14:35 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Thanks for the help, I used the program you mentioned  www,linuxliveusb.com. LL is not listed on their page as being supported, it did say it would install it.LL installed without any problems. I was able to boot by selecting the BIOS boot order, as I did yesterday--but this time I did NOT click the Install LL button. I'm not sure why that button is there since it is already installed. All I did was reformat the USB stick to FAT32, size at 4k, and I had no options to install any partitions or formats. A much simpler install vs the recommended one.

Hope this helps others too.

Thanks again,
Ron

You are Welcome :)
Good to read you have it solved now.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 08:40:59 PM »

Nyto

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-9700T

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel UHD Graphics 630

Hey Rondi.

For installing to an USB while in Windows, try this software: USBWriter ( https : //sourceforge. net/projects/usbwriter/ ).

While in Linux, you can use Etcher. ( https ://etcher. io/ )

Both are the best installer for their respective platform, in my opinion.

Remove the spaces for the shortcuts.
Pathological tweaker.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 01:43:02 PM »

rondi

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks for the help, I used the program you mentioned  www,linuxliveusb.com. LL is not listed on their page as being supported, it did say it would install it.LL installed without any problems. I was able to boot by selecting the BIOS boot order, as I did yesterday--but this time I did NOT click the Install LL button. I'm not sure why that button is there since it is already installed. All I did was reformat the USB stick to FAT32, size at 4k, and I had no options to install any partitions or formats. A much simpler install vs the recommended one.

Hope this helps others too.

Thanks again,
Ron

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 07:49:46 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello rondi,

the manual link I added is for creating a Live Linux Lite USB using Linux.
For windows in past I did use win32diskimager, myself with no issues, on windows 7 and 10.
Also this software I did use for making a Live Linux Lite USB on windows - https://www.linuxliveusb.com/
The Live USB runs only from the USB, it is not installed in a hard drive.
On the desktop when using the Live USB, or dvd, it has an icon clicking this will begin install Linux Lite to the hard drive of the computer, you can then run it without using the USB.

I don't know about dual booting as I have not done this, other members do this and are understanding it very well.
There are some things to do like disable fast boot, use Legacy not uefi boot, to do in bios.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 08:19:04 PM »

rondi

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thx for the reply,. Yes I read a portion--but it was confusing to me--the sections which was about installing LL on a USB stick kept referring to other hard drives. It was in no way oriented to installing only on a USB stick.

So I just tried to follow the directions. I used the Win32DiskImager which was recommended. Opening it--it only looked for an .img file with NO choice for a .iso. But but by right clicking the LL .ios file and choosing to open it in Win32Diskimager I was able to install the iso. I then booted into the USB stick. Again as a noob I have no idea in what order to create partitions nor do I know what format to use nothing I could find in the manual to help with that. So I just used ext4 format because it was at the top of the list!

So I installed a 200mb /boot at the beginning of my Free Space. Then I installed Swap the end =8gb, then I installed root at the beginning. I hit the Install to install at dev/sdb (my usb stick), iow i did not choose any partition. It did list the 3 partition and it said it would rearrange the numbers. It seemed install, until it froze with a few icons on left and a window with a map of the world asking where am I--it did have have Los Angles already filled in the dropdown. BUT over the map was a notice that Failed to Create Swap Space, Creation of Swap Space Partition #5 of SCS17 (0,0,0) sdb failed. None of the red X's worked, and the Continue button did not work.--frozen.

I hit the LL Icon on the left and it woke up, I could open other windows, etc. I could see all my W7 drives--which I did NOT want to see.
But I did no updating or ??? I shut it down, which shutdown the whole computer.

Was it working only on LL or was I using My W7 install too?

So I rebooted into W7 which went fine. I restarted, chose to Boot my USB and it is hung with a blank screen cursor flashing in the upper right.  A Cont/ALT/DEL reboots into W7. So the install did not really install the boot, whereas the Win32DiskImager did. Obviously I am doing something wrong.  It did say when It made me create partitions that it would erase everything on the drive--it just never installed the boot.

From my description--can you tell me what it might be?
Maybe I should try one of the other Linux installs to the USB stick. This was a Program of the month on SourceForge--So I thought would be ready for noobs. Not so!

Ron

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 02:45:21 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello rondi,

it shows how to, installing of Linux Lite to a USB stick in the manual, on this link -

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#lldvdusbosx

How do I install Linux Lite to a USB
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 06:53:55 PM »

rondi

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

It has been MANY years since I have used Linux--so I consider myself a noob to today's Linux.
I have read thru the the installation portion of the guide--but no info on how to do what I want. maybe I missed it.
I want to install Linux Lite and the Live version on a USB stick. While running Linux, at least initially, I want no access to my SSDs and HDs.
IOW, I want no interaction with my Windows installation.
I have an emergency USB stick with bootable Windows on it--and it works fine. I know how to select which drive I will boot from.
The instructions do not mention installing everything on a USB stick so:
1. Is this possible with Linux Lite?
1a. if so--what instructions do I follow?
1b If not--any recommendations?
2. What size stick do I need and what format is preferred/necessary?
3. I know the the internet is full of info, but I need a handy guide explaining the commands etc.
Any other recommendations is appreciated.
Ron
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 01:47:41 PM by rondi »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section