You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite not booting when I turn computer on

Author (Read 7013 times)

Re: Linux Lite not booting when I turn computer on
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2021, 10:25:24 PM »

Swamp Rat

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
I realize that this topic seems to have been abandoned by the OP, but, if not, I will offer what I can. Your access to BIOS and/or Boot order should come up and display fairly quickly on booting. If it doesn't, you may need to read the owner's manual or do a search for the key to bring it up. Try Shift or F2 or F12 for starters.

As far as I know, both Windoze and LL need to be installed with the same (Legacy, EFI, or UEFI) setting.

When in Terminal, as you type in your password, NOTHING shows, but the entry is accepted if correct. Just type your password and press Enter.

I had no problem dual booting a few years ago, but I now only use Windoze for income tax preparation. I bought a used Win 10 computer that sits on my Family Room floor unconnected to anything until tax time.

You may need to use Terminal to update grub to make it operational. When I did dual booting, a fairly small box came up in the top left giving both OSs, with Ubuntu first and highlighted. Press Enter or let it boot in seconds to LL.

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 10:23:13 AM »

adrianhouse78

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

[/quote]

See your welcome message/forum guidelines on posting screenshots (IMGUR)
What's the make/model of laptop/pc?
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I read the guidelines and here's the code that I got after entering Trinidad's command; he said to change some things in there but I didn't know where to do that:

Code: [Select]
  GNU nano 4.8                   /etc/default/grub                             
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
#GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
#GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR='Linux Lite'
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Linux Lite Grub background
GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/grub_linux_lite.png"

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
                               [ Read 40 lines ]
^G Get Help  ^O Write Out ^W Where Is  ^K Cut Text  ^J Justify   ^C Cur Pos
^X Exit      ^R Read File ^\ Replace   ^U Paste Text^T To Spell  ^_ Go To Line

If you could help me with where to make the change I'd appreciate it.

As for my computer, it's an Acer Aspire V5, 2013 I think. The bios doesn't load on startup - I think the only way to change that is to tinker with the hardware, which I'm not up for.

Thanks again,

Adrian

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 01:39:58 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

I wanted to attach a screenshot but this forum won't allow me to attach the png file. Thanks a lot for any tips you have.
Adrian

See your welcome message/forum guidelines on posting screenshots (IMGUR)
What's the make/model of laptop/pc?
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 11:31:12 AM »

adrianhouse78

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Still haven't fixed this issue...anyone else out there able to help me? Thank you.

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 04:24:02 PM »

adrianhouse78

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
What version of Windows 7,10 or 11?
UEFI or legacy install?

You probably just need to unhide grub, comment out # the GRUB_HIDDEN lines in /etc/default/grub, save the file, and then update grub. You can also lengthen the timeout in grub so the grub screen stays up longer, and you can choose which operating system boots up first though its best if you are using Windows and allowing Windows updates to leave it set to boot Windows first.

You can mount Windows partitions from Linux and access Windows files from Linux Lite but not vice versa. Windows explorer does not recognize ext4 file systems. *You don't sound ready for powershell so I'm not going to explain it.
sudo nano /etc/default/grubTC

Hi again, yes so I managed to put that into the terminal and a bunch of stuff came up. But I didn't know where to write the "comment out # the GRUB_HIDDEN lines" that you suggested. I wanted to attach a screenshot but this forum won't allow me to attach the png file. Thanks a lot for any tips you have.
Adrian

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 04:21:40 PM »

adrianhouse78

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
@adrianhouse78

Reboot the computer - F2 to enter set up (or whatever yours maybe)
Under "Configuration" I have an "EFI Boot Order" to which I can set the default... In my case its Ubuntu and Windows Boot Manager ..

I set to Ubuntu aka Linux Lite and allow grub to manage the 2

Hi, pressing keys on my computer doesn't enter into BIOS / setup. Tried everything. Then I tried various ways to get into the UEFI boot order that article suggested after doing a Google search, but none worked. Frustrating!

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 06:27:14 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@adrianhouse78

Reboot the computer - F2 to enter set up (or whatever yours maybe)
Under "Configuration" I have an "EFI Boot Order" to which I can set the default... In my case its Ubuntu and Windows Boot Manager ..

I set to Ubuntu aka Linux Lite and allow grub to manage the 2
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 03:24:15 PM »

adrianhouse78

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@adrianhouse78

You may also be able to go into BIOS in the UEFI section possibly but look for booting/order..
You can usually set the default - set to LL/Ubuntu...

Hi thanks for this. Can you explain a little further please? Do I do this in Windows? And what exactly do I need to do? Thanks so much.
Adrian

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 03:03:23 PM »

adrianhouse78

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi, trinidad, thanks for the reply. So I'm very new obviously. It is UEFI, version is Windows 10 version 10.0.19042 Build 19042

Did you mean to type that into the command prompt? And in Linux Lite is that called "terminal emulator"? Anyways, I did that, and it asked for my password but it wouldn't let me type anything. I clicked on the white box but nothing. Screenshot attached, help appreciated. Thanks. *well the forum won't let me attach the screenshot as it's png.*

I don't quite understand the second part of your response re. mounting Windows partitions from Linux. Is there an easy way to access my files in Windows from Linux? If not I'll just DL them from Dropbox.

Thanks
Adrian
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 03:22:58 PM by adrianhouse78 »

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 08:04:09 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@adrianhouse78

You may also be able to go into BIOS in the UEFI section possibly but look for booting/order..
You can usually set the default - set to LL/Ubuntu...

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 10:32:28 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

What version of Windows 7,10 or 11?
UEFI or legacy install?

You probably just need to unhide grub, comment out # the GRUB_HIDDEN lines in /etc/default/grub, save the file, and then update grub. You can also lengthen the timeout in grub so the grub screen stays up longer, and you can choose which operating system boots up first though its best if you are using Windows and allowing Windows updates to leave it set to boot Windows first.

You can mount Windows partitions from Linux and access Windows files from Linux Lite but not vice versa. Windows explorer does not recognize ext4 file systems. *You don't sound ready for powershell so I'm not going to explain it.
sudo nano /etc/default/grubTC

All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

Linux Lite not booting when I turn computer on
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 09:43:35 AM »

adrianhouse78

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi,

Newb here, loving Linux Lite but can't figure out how to get my computer to boot it on turning it on. I did the dual install of Linux Lite and windows, and at one point I think I chose to have Windows 10 give me a choice which OS to use when I turn the computer on, but it doesn't do that. Instead it just goes straight into Windows again.

So the only way I can use Linux Lite is by going (in Windows) Settings > Recovery > advanced Restart > Restart from USB etc and then I select Ubuntu, and it restarts and boots Linux instead of Windows. Not what I want to be doing every time obviously!

If anyone can help me, I'd much appreciate it.

Another question, unrelated, is can I get access to all my files in Windows from Linux Lite? I.e. documents, pictures, etc. Or do I need to download them from the cloud? Thanks again.

Adrian
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 06:21:36 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section